Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
putting maybe a small ratio of race gas to regular fuel wouldnt hurt. If its leaded it will help clean your intake/exhaust valves a bit. And by small ratio I mean like 1/2 gal race gas per fill up. And if this has been said already sorry too lazy to read on this small screen lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
putting maybe a small ratio of race gas to regular fuel wouldnt hurt. If its leaded it will help clean your intake/exhaust valves a bit. And by small ratio I mean like 1/2 gal race gas per fill up. And if this has been said already sorry too lazy to read on this small screen lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App
leaded gas wont do any thing to clean up valves

is used to be put in fuel as a lubricant for the valve train

there are other additives in fuel that does it now ...

infact, if any thing, lead causes fouling in modern engines, in all aspects of a modern engine,.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
432 Posts
is used to be put in fuel as a lubricant for the valve train
More or less what i meant...

infact, if any thing, lead causes fouling in modern engines, in all aspects of a modern engine,.

Unless "modern" engines somehow work differently (not talking about emissions regulations, 02 sensors etc) than they did 20 years ago... then it wont "foul" it. A spark plug is a spark plug, a piston is a piston. Not much has changed since we ran leaded fuel in our cars at all times.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
More or less what i meant...

Unless "modern" engines somehow work differently (not talking about emissions regulations, 02 sensors etc) than they did 20 years ago... then it wont "foul" it. A spark plug is a spark plug, a piston is a piston. Not much has changed since we ran leaded fuel in our cars at all times.
not much has changed?

You mean compression, valve timing, ignition timing, fuel control systems, and ... well EVERY part on an engine hasnt changed?

a spark plug isnt a spark plug ... find me a modern car that works well on the spark plugs of yesteryear ....

find me a car that has the low compression that motors of yesteryear had ...

while the specifics of the engine hasnt changed (it sucks air, squeezes it, bangs it, then exhales it) the materials, and they configurations, and the way the fuel burns HAS

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Elevation has a lot to do with it too. We don't have to worry about pre-detonation up here like the guys at sea level do.

I know a lot of people that run 85 (low grade) in their bikes and have for years with zero side effects be it negative or positive.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
NOT to mention, that ANY lead in a catalytic converter, or in o2 sensors is enough to render them dead, useless, and what ever other descriptor you want to give it to indicate that it doesnt work any longer.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
432 Posts
not much has changed?

You mean compression, valve timing, ignition timing, fuel control systems, and ... well EVERY part on an engine hasnt changed?

a spark plug isnt a spark plug ... find me a modern car that works well on the spark plugs of yesteryear ....

find me a car that has the low compression that motors of yesteryear had ...

while the specifics of the engine hasnt changed (it sucks air, squeezes it, bangs it, then exhales it) the materials, and they configurations, and the way the fuel burns HAS
Okay I dont want to start a pissing contest... When I say engines havnt changed, I mean its still a 4 cycle internal combustion engine.

I put a gallon of 110 leaded fuel in my mustang once a week or so for the valve train, never had a single problem with it. No change in gas mileage, no fouled plugs, no burnt out 02 sensors.

I definitely agree that a whole tank if race gas is wasted money and is going to cause some problems down the road, but a little bit every now and then isnt going to kill anybody.

Im a banana~!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Okay I dont want to start a pissing contest... When I say engines havnt changed, I mean its still a 4 cycle internal combustion engine.

I put a gallon of 110 leaded fuel in my mustang once a week or so for the valve train, never had a single problem with it. No change in gas mileage, no fouled plugs, no burnt out 02 sensors.

I definitely agree that a whole tank if race gas is wasted money and is going to cause some problems down the road, but a little bit every now and then isnt going to kill anybody.

Im a banana~!!
It will not damage much because of one tank but leaded fuel like tenjin said will kill your cat and sensors the fuel is not designed to use on a current 4 stroke engine.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
432 Posts
It will not damage much because of one tank but leaded fuel like tenjin said will kill your cat and sensors the fuel is not designed to use on a current 4 stroke engine.

...... which is what I said haha

·
Registered
112 Posts
As others have said, using a fuel your engine is not tuned for is pointless and good actually cause problems. This applies to bikes and all other internal-combustion vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Based on the info of unmixed fuel I'm guessing it was LEADED fuel. Which is very bad for vehicles now lol but if I was left out in the middle of nowhere you have very little options i shouldn't say I wouldn't do the same lol

if you mixed it before you left you would have never had any problems as the octane in the vehicles dropping from the minute it going in the tank just like xylene is 118 octane but not for filling up but definitely if you lived up north u know all about getting water out of your fuel especially since 10% ethanol that sits is a gallon of water for every10 you buy

21 - 33 of 33 Posts