Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hitting the 1000 mile mark on the way home last night, I thought I'd do a first 1000 mile write up for those waiting to take delivery.

Ok, so after having picked up the bike in Orange County Sunday March 4th, rode my 07' 600 back on the Ortega Hwy so first miles were all back roads, great fun.

Where to start. I am just flat amazed with how much power this thing makes. True, unfortunately, I have no experience with previous CBR600RRs for comparison (sorry) as I've only owned "cruiser" bikes like the lil' Ninja and a Katana (although I've ridden faster bike's such as my cousin's Yamaha 600 (but still, no cutting edge stuff). After owning the bikes I had, this thing is a straight rocket! Amazingly fast! The power delievery is nothing like any 600 I've ridden in the past (true, just a couple) where most seem to make nothing till 8K+. This thing has the power come on a 4-5K and then striaght torque and power (and now, after having seen the dyno plots posted, I know know why!). So smooth, and so powerfull, just amazing.

As for break-in, no, I didn't go the "dyno" route. I din't do the "ride it like you stole it" route either. I also didn't "baby" it. I just rode it. Rode it how I wanted to. Took it up to 12,13,14K, through the rpm range, down shifted, up shifted, just rode it. The bike just got better as the miles poured on. As for poor mileage comments about 600s, I think it has far more to do with the fact that it is just plain impossible for CBR owners to obey the posted speed limits. In fact, I'd wager good $$$ that there does not exist on this entire planet a CBR600RR owner who rides the posted limit. It is just impossible to do so. During break-in, worse mpg was 36.5, best was 42.5. After break-in, best was 46.5 (all 80-90mph). Now,IF someone existed that could actually obey posted speed signs, it would be very easy IMHO for a 600 owner to see mid 50sMPG. But that person is a fictious character, so it's a moot point.

First maintenance was easy. Lowers were easy enough to remove and replace (just needed to take the right lower off) to do the oil/oil filter change. One hiccup was the joint tab and the bottom front where the right and left meet up. Need to use a screw driver to depress the tab to make seperating the two easier.

Before buying the 07', I was very tempted to save $$$ and get an 06' 1000RR instead. After taking delivery, I'm glad I got the 600. Of course, you always have those "what ifs" in the back of your mind, but this morning, I got my answer. My friend allowed me to ride his 06' 1000RR (same as the one I almost bought) in exchange for riding my 600. Wow. I gotta say the 1K is dang fast! Too fast for me to get on it in 1st gear. 2nd is stupid fast, 3rd is just retarded. That said, the 600 is pretty dang stupid fast as well! True, the 1K would handily best the 07' 600 in a straight line, but as soon as it gets twisty, different story. One thing that amazed me even more than the speed of the 1K was the weight! The front end is much heavier in turns than the 07' 600. I know 1Ks are much havier, but dang, it feels like the entire difference is right on the handlebars! In city turns, pulling out of parking lots, the 06' 1K fells almost tanklike in comparison to the 07' 600. Even my friend was amazed at how extremely light and "tossible" the 600 was. Night and day difference. I also think the version of HESD in the 06' 1K is not as good as the version in the 07' 600. Combined with the added weight of the 1K, the steering in the 06 1K just feels way too "heavy and slow" in slow turning situations. That said, I think the 1K is a better "commuter" bike. Heck, you'd just leave it in 3rd gear all day long! And the added weight of the 1K has it's benefits making a smoother ride combined with longer wheelbase for long commutes. It's a win/win either way.

For me, I know now that one day, I'd love to own a liter bike (CBR only please), perhaps in 09', a great deal on a 08'. For now though, the 07' CBR is PLENTY fast for me, and I'm just smitten with it!

Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Ben

One pic of my brother's and my 07' at the dealer the day we picked them up:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4708&d=1173117559

***Edit*** duh, forgot to mention, mine is black, brother's is the white/silver

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congrats on the RR! Great write up man! You are right about the 07 RR being very "tossible". I used to ride an FZ1, and the RR is a very light and flickable bike.

C

·
0 Posts
Great write up Ben. I am a big fan of break it in like your going to ride it. You will not be let down by this bike. It is so stable in the corners. Just don't get yourself in trouble with all that new found power! lol How about we meet up at Buttonwillow and you let me try her out (I'll let you ride my gold 2003 fishing lure.. lol)

·
Registered
153 Posts
glad to hear that you are loving it. i would love to get one, but my 06RR is paid off and mod'd out. just wouldn't be worth it, unless I kept it got a 07 as a second bike and turned my 06 into a track bike....hmmm tha possibilities...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, the bike is all that and then some.

LOL cvlighthouse! As long as you buy me a new one if you dump it, you're on. ;)

Yeah, I could see it not being worth it if you already have a very nice 06'. Better to just wait a few more years till the all new smoking 2010s come out. :) That or a 08' 1000RR. ;)

One complaint: Others have posted about a "buzzing" around the 6-8K mark. Same here only mine shows up at the 5-7K mark??? Checked bolts and clips during the maintenace and didn't find anything too loose... I'll have to check some more...

Ben

****Edit**** saw the post on tank vibrations. Duh! :)

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Great write up bro. Congrats on the new bike and thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down. Those of us who are still stuck in waiting mode are hungry for ANY info we can get. I'm literally living vicariously through you guys.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
I just bought some takeoffs from a guy that bought one and hasnt even test ridden it, but sent it to get stripped down, engine and suspension work done to mak eit his primary track bike. not even broken in yet.

Good to see one that has been ridden.

I also rode a 06 R6 and a 03 600RR yesterday.
1st time on a 600 since i got the blade. OMG, those things are so tiny. It felt like a BMX. the controll were close, the wheelbase short, the weight OH MY i almost fell at the 1st corner because i was already using like 10x the effort to turn and it just was like paper weight.

but then i got on it, and MY GOD, those things are soooo slow, the power took forever to get their, no torque and you just have to rev the crap out of it, but then it stops quicker too, and the turn in, my my, its soo easy...

with that being said, i dont think i could own another 600 as my ONLY bike, maybe i can use this as an excuse to get ole girl riding and eventually get her a 600 so i can ride that when im tired or something.

but excellent write up Benman.. thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but then i got on it, and MY GOD, those things are soooo slow, the power took forever to get their, no torque and you just have to rev the crap out of it...

with that being said, i dont think i could own another 600 as my ONLY bike...
Snikwad,

You won't be dissapointed with the 07' 600. Test ride one, lots of torque for a 600.

And yes, that was kinda the point I was making on one of the earlier posts when I was saying to keep the 1K and not go "down" to a 600 for a street bike. Of course I was somehow "immature" for saying so...? Anyway, the 600 is all that, but it will never be the straight line rocket of a liter bike caliber...

Ben

1 - 12 of 12 Posts