Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Bike isn't tuned to it, so there is no benefit of running it. Save your money and put the fuel in it that is recommended for your year bike

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Use what is recommended in MOM. 91ron or 95ron usually. Anything more is a waste.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Octane rating is simply a figure indicating the antiknock properties of a fuel, it has nothing to do with power. High compression engines are more prone to pre-detonation and therefore require higher octane to prevent that from happening. Because high compression engines are typically more powerful people have falsely come to relate high octane to high power. Running higher octane than necessary will not cause any problems, nor will it be of any benefit.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I had to use 110 at the track (forgot my gas can doh)

between like 12 and 15k RPM

I had a power loss, it just lost power alot of power almost like the clutch was slipping or something wierd. Ive never had an issue since i switched back to 93 which is all we have around here. It was sporadic too not ever time I was at 13k different times different gears. Doesn't sound like a gas issue but i never had a issue before or after the 110 was used up...

Oh I also payed like $11 a gallon haha

·
Registered
116 Posts
lol, yeah, that won't work. Jet fuel is basically just kerosene, so you could run it in a diesel but it's not going to run well.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Alright, I'm not going in depth over the various "gas laws" (Charles', Boyle's, Avacadro's, etc) so in a nutshell;

For a constant volume, i.e. the cylinder, increasing the pressure (compression ratio) raises the temperature...also if pressure remains the same but heat is increased (more lean AFR) temperature also increases.

Pre-detonation, misfire, or whatever you know it by, is simply the temperature of the air/fuel mix inside a cylinder reaching the temperature at which it ignites on it's own (diesel engines are designed for this, but these aren't diesels) so it's bad...and why there is a thing called a knock sensor.

More octane on it's own doesn't increase power, fuel efficiency, or [insert common myth here]

Octane is an additive designed to prevent combustion until the spark plug...sparks.

In conclusion, running more octane than you need will result in an incomplete burn, not unlike running too rich of an AFR, leaving your spark plugs, valves, and the ports in your cylinder head sooty and what not.

Any questions?

Pick up a book or google it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
In conclusion, running more octane than you need will result in an incomplete burn, not unlike running too rich of an AFR, leaving your spark plugs, valves, and the ports in your cylinder head sooty and what not.
So happy you wrote it out so I didn't have to. Seriously people, pay attention.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,965 Posts
Just burn your money instead. Less affect on your bikes performance and just as useful.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
So happy you wrote it out so I didn't have to. Seriously people, pay attention.
I'd almost put money on a new thread about this subject popping up next year; when people say use the search function, "they're being mean", if no one replies because it's a rudimentary aspect of something, "they don't care"

Truth is that all the threads ever created on this forum could very probably be reduced by at least 1/3 because it's the same topics over and over and over again...I'll reply if I know enough about the topic that I won't mislead someone and haven't seen an objective explanation to the question, otherwise I ignore them.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Use what is recommended in MOM. 91ron or 95ron usually. Anything more is a waste.

You don't bother with the 98????
In my '03? Nope. 91 is fine. The argument is 98 has more cleaning properties, but when your bike can't utilise the fuel, the cleaning properties will help clean unburnt fuel and is null and void.

91RON is recommended, and it $1.17/L. No point paying $1.40/L for same mileage, and no benefit.

Unless your vehicle is tuned for 98, there is no need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts