Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So state farm quoted me this for full coverage for the year. I'm ready to sign but wanted to see if you guys knew any other lesser known but trustworthy companies that might be cheaper? The usual suspects are all ridiculous (geico, progressive, allstate, etc)

·
Registered
56 Posts
For a 2007, I pay Geico $470 a year (Comprehensive and Collision, both with a $500 deductible). Variables that can affect a quote are age, driving record, home ownership, garage kept, commuting distance, etc.). In other words, "their" version of profiling your future riding profile and liability.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Similar kind of quote I got from State Farm when I was shopping. Got a similar rate to what RoadX got for his 07 on mine at the time from Progressive.

Key is to shop around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's way better than mine, but so far everyone else has given me ridiculous quotes. Do you guys have garages or something that's bringing it down? I'm definitely over 25 so, I'm wondering what else they look at? No accidents on the report showed up, but everyone gave me like $2k and above on premiums.

maybe it's the years riding?? Only been on two wheels for 3 years

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I pay $32/mo for full coverage on a 2009 with Geico
For a 2007, I pay Geico $470 a year (Comprehensive and Collision, both with a $500 deductible). Variables that can affect a quote are age, driving record, home ownership, garage kept, commuting distance, etc.). In other words, "their" version of profiling your future riding profile and liability.
What's the liability coverage?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mina:

- Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per occurrence
- Property Damage Liability: $25,000 per occurrence
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per occurrence
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $25,000 / $500 Deductible

Mina asked a good question as these Liability variables make a significant difference. Also, the bike is garage kept, I am over twenty five and have a long riding history and I have taken MSF courses (for the additional benefit of insurance discounts).

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Mina:

- Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per occurrence
- Property Damage Liability: $25,000 per occurrence
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per occurrence
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $25,000 / $500 Deductible

Mina asked a good question as these Liability variables make a significant difference. Also, the bike is garage kept, I am over twenty five and have a long riding history and I have taken MSF courses (for the additional benefit of insurance discounts).
This is exactly why I asked. $25K or $50K can add up real quick and you'll be on the hook for the balance.
I have $2M on my policy just in case. Paying $1800/year for full coverage with fire and theft.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Depending on what state you're in....try Riders. if you're in one of the states they cover.

I was paying $212/YR on a $25,000 bike with Full Coverage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I pay 59 a month with Allstate - :D

The reason for this is that I also have two cars and my home insurance through them. I get about a 50-60% discount by combining all of that.

You could look into adding an anti-theft device to your bike.

Have you taken the MSF course? If so most will lower your insurance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pay 59 a month with Allstate - :D

The reason for this is that I also have two cars and my home insurance through them. I get about a 50-60% discount by combining all of that.

You could look into adding an anti-theft device to your bike.

Have you taken the MSF course? If so most will lower your insurance.
I tried to add my car to state farm to see if I could get the dual vehicle discount, but ironically, it made my premium twice as expensive (I don't have any tickets at all on my record or accidents).

Definitely have taken the MSF course and have my endorsement but don't own a home, just living in a condo right now. I'm desperate to have a garage where I can store this thing (although it's safe at my g/f's place....well it will be when I pick it up saturday :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I was paying $1200 with SF my first year and for me that was by far the best quote from any insurance company in this province (sad). I actually pay more now but I have some increased coverage as well as a claim since then. I tried the car bundling thing too and my quote also went up.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
So state farm quoted me this for full coverage for the year. I'm ready to sign but wanted to see if you guys knew any other lesser known but trustworthy companies that might be cheaper? The usual suspects are all ridiculous (geico, progressive, allstate, etc)
Here in Australia, quote for full cover on my 03 was $474/year.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I tried to add my car to state farm to see if I could get the dual vehicle discount, but ironically, it made my premium twice as expensive (I don't have any tickets at all on my record or accidents).

Definitely have taken the MSF course and have my endorsement but don't own a home, just living in a condo right now. I'm desperate to have a garage where I can store this thing (although it's safe at my g/f's place....well it will be when I pick it up saturday :)
Try a different agent then because SF should be far cheaper with a car through them.

Thing is person to person comparisons are useless because everything is a factor, including past claims and your credit score amoung everything else you would think would make a difference like age, location, years riding, etc.

Try to go to a person instead of online as well, might help. But in the realm of new riders first big bike insurance $1,200/yr isn't all that unheard of.

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts

What you could do is contact some others. I would call them directly as in call the local Allstate agent and tell him/her what you are looking for and see what they can do. I have known my agent since I was little (parents have used them forever)

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Well, that's way better than mine, but so far everyone else has given me ridiculous quotes. Do you guys have garages or something that's bringing it down? I'm definitely over 25 so, I'm wondering what else they look at? No accidents on the report showed up, but everyone gave me like $2k and above on premiums.

maybe it's the years riding?? Only been on two wheels for 3 years
Years of riding shouldn't matter. What usually matters is your age, accident/infraction record, and a few other things like is the bike paid off etc.

I've paid about $40/month with State farm on my old RR with full cov. Now I pay about the same with Progressive. But I stay with the lower Liability limits ( 10/20k I think?) and raise the Deductibles higher ($500-1k). No Un-insured motorist coverage and low Medical coverage since I have Medical Ins through my work anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have VA state minimum liability and at $33 a month, i was quoted about 1650 a yr for full coverage ( gieco )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts