Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be doing a 1200+ mile ride this upcoming weekend to Florida and back (From NC). I'm expecting to have a huge chicken strip on my back rear tire when I get back, is there anything else I should double check when I get back? I already brought my bike to my mechanic and he gave me the thumbs up for the ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just sharing my exp with you.. if you already knew ignore...

I recently did a 800 mile to and fro ride with a day of rest in between and this was my first time i did this and this is what i learned from this.

1) Make sure you right tire pressure in your tires, 36 front and 42 rear (correct me if i am wrong)

2) Keep checking your tires often every time you stop, for wear and anything you picked up on the way, ( I had a nail in my front tire, but was lucky as it was not long enough to go all the way through)

2) Fuel up as soon as you see the last bar on your fuel meter don't wait !

3) Weather - be prepared for cold and rain, I had to drive in the rain for 4 hours, i don't know if people stop when in rains, but i kept going, my backpack had a rain coat but not me, make sure you have something to cover you.

5)If you can and if you dont already have get yourself a lighter helmet, helps a lot with pain in neck.

4) If you can avoid carrying a backpack i would recommend that, this was the worst thing for my entire trip, i should have got some luggage back on tank or backseat.. learned my lesson now.

All the best and have a safe trip, share your exp when you get back.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just sharing my exp with you.. if you already knew ignore...

I recently did a 800 mile to and fro ride with a day of rest in between and this was my first time i did this and this is what i learned from this.

1) Make sure you right tire pressure in your tires, 36 front and 42 rear (correct me if i am wrong)

2) Keep checking your tires often every time you stop, for wear and anything you picked up on the way, ( I had a nail in my front tire, but was lucky as it was not long enough to go all the way through)

2) Fuel up as soon as you see the last bar on your fuel meter don't wait !

3) Weather - be prepared for cold and rain, I had to drive in the rain for 4 hours, i don't know if people stop when in rains, but i kept going, my backpack had a rain coat but not me, make sure you have something to cover you.

5)If you can and if you dont already have get yourself a lighter helmet, helps a lot with pain in neck.

4) If you can avoid carrying a backpack i would recommend that, this was the worst thing for my entire trip, i should have got some luggage back on tank or backseat.. learned my lesson now.

All the best and have a safe trip, share your exp when you get back.

1) Yup, already got those tire pressures, had to bring it back up from a track day a few weeks ago.

2) Thats about the time I normally fill up, definitely won't be going past that for this trip!!

2a) What was your average milage per fill up?

3) Checked the forcast and it should be clear skies the whole ride, but I'll have my jacket on which is mostly rain resistant

4) Thankfully I already have a pretty light helment so this shouldn't be an issue.

5) Phew, thanks, I convinced myself a backpack for my cloths and laptop should be fine, haha. I'm gonna go pick up a tail back after work now!

·
Registered
219 Posts
2a) 130 miles for sure, I got more than that couple of time.

5)I just had few clothes and a pair of lightweight puma's and ipad in the backpack, got myself a new Northface Surge II for the ride, it did have a drag and one of my straps was longer than other took me a while to realize that and it caused a lot of pain in the back till i changed them to equal lengths, but all the way i wished i did not have anything on my back.

If you really want to settle with a backpack I would suggest this one
http://ogio.com/power/back-packs/no-drag-mach-5

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Which part of Florida are you visiting ? If I had to guess I would say coming to Jennings Motorsport park but if not and coming more south let me know Btw Fl weather is really unpredictable one thing for sure you will get some rain no matter where you go

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which part of Florida are you visiting ? If I had to guess I would say coming to Jennings Motorsport park but if not and coming more south let me know Btw Fl weather is really unpredictable one thing for sure you will get some rain no matter where you go
Yeah I lived in Florida most of my life so im familiar with the weather. Im going to Wildwood, ~30mi south of Ocala on I-75. Only for the weekend visiting family so no time for Jennings =(

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Oh I see I wish I was closer to you would have hooked up for lunch or something I am further south for the time being will be relocating to Tampa hopefully next summer USF is sucking a lot of my funds as we speak

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take a tire plug kit with CO2 cartridges in case you do pick up a nail or screw. Sux being stuck on side of road with a flat. Use some type of powder on your but and balls, I use Anti-Monkey Butt powder. It helps with chafing/swamp ass from long days in the seat. Don't get too focused on the destination, enjoy the ride. If you want to stop and look at or do something, stop.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just did 920 miles in 2 days about a week and a half ago. All the advice above is dead on in my opinion. Also I had a back pack and they are right, dont do it. Maybe if you could get one of the better strap ones that connects to your torso and not just your shoulders it would help, but dont take a regular backpack.

Dont forget to stop and look around, enjoy the sights. It will make it go easier.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe if you could get one of the better strap ones that connects to your torso and not just your shoulders it would help, but dont take a regular backpack. QUOTE]

I have my Marine Corps issued backpack that has chest and torso straps but I ordered a MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Tail Bag that should be here tomorrow. Should be enough room for my laptop and two changes of clothes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
130mi, thats it? How much did you put back into the tank each fill up?
Maybe if you could get one of the better strap ones that connects to your torso and not just your shoulders it would help, but dont take a regular backpack. QUOTE]

I have my Marine Corps issued backpack that has chest and torso straps but I ordered a MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Tail Bag that should be here tomorrow. Should be enough room for my laptop and two changes of clothes.
Well i have a northface surge II, this back pack is endorsed by american chiropractic association and has Comfortable, padded Airmesh back panel with Spine Channel and PE sheet for extra back support with chest and torso straps...but that still did not help me.. and i was just doing 400 miles one way..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made it to Florida on Friday night. All in all it was a pretty great experience. Averaged 41.2 mpg which really surprised me, I'm sure it was because I was drafting behind cars most of the time. My MotoCentric spot tail bag held up perfectly, even at 90+ (was just keeping up with traffic, I promise!!!) it didn't budge and didn't even feel like it was back there. Physically I felt great after the ride and I could have gone farther if needed too. The CrampBuster I bought also worked great, most of the ride I had my left elbow on the tank holding myself up and my right wrist just resting on the throttle/CrampBuster (probably not the safest but oh well). As far as other traffic on the road, I never came across one problem, most of the cagers were pretty courteous to me and never tried to cut me off or anything. Ran into a about 20-25min of bumper to bumper traffic on I-10 W between Jacksonville and the Starke/301 exit but that was it for traffic. Due to start my return trip really early Tuesday morning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts