Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 4,500 miles on my bike and the battery had seems as if it were taking a sh*t already. I took it to my work and tested the battery and it tested well over 12 volts but won't start unless I either jump it or put it on a 2amp charge. It'll hold the charge for about 4 starts and then it starts the slow start like the battery is shot. All of my lights seem fine and you can even hear the pump and the tick from the stator. I'm not sure what to make of it and I haven't run out to purchase a battery just yet because I noticed that the negative terminal pushed out at the bottom when I tighten the screw down. Could it be that the terminal is bad? The first time I have even touched the battery is when it wouldn't start. I did make my own fender eliminator but didn't disconnect anything but the terminals and the blinker and tail light. Any clues?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
When you installed your fender elim, did you accidentally short anything, like the plate light? Maybe it's grounded out and draining the battery?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take the OEM tail lights off and installed an white led license plate light and spliced them into the OEM wire connectors and used new heat shrink tubing but it's all very clean and done correctly. Maybe one of the wires is making it ground out. I ran through it all twice now and didn't see any breaks in wiring. At most Theres only a foot and a half of wire that the new turn signals came with or the new led license plate light that Im using.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Grab your service manual and go through the electrical system tests of the stator, voltage regulator and battery, that will tell you what's up.

Most likely the battery is bad based on your description of the negative terminal but until you test your system out you'll be guessing.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Take the battery to autoparts place and they can test it to see if it's still good. Is the battery swollen? Overcharged?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the battery out and noticed that the bottom of the post was bent out and figured out that when I tighten the terminal to the battery it pushes it out further from the battery And I'm sure not making the connection that it needs.

I spoke with the owner of the motor sports place where I bought it new and he said he won't and can't warranty it. Pretty much all but said tuff sh*t. Looks like I'll be buying a new battery. Any suggestions because I was going to stay with the battery it comes with?

Thanks though for all of the advise guys.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the positive post terminal was the issue. I just put a new nut inside that was a little bigger and a new terminal bolt and that fixed the issue. Haven't had a single issue since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's not likely but,

you can break the terminal post (inside the battery).

batt. will then act like you describe.[/QUOTE
It was exactly what you said it could be. Thanks for the advise. Everyone that gave it as well. It's usually the simple things that are overlooked and it was In my case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts