Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I am new to riding and finally bought me a "real" bike lol (95 cbr 600). I don't know anything mechanical wise I basically just know how to drive one. So I test drive it for a sec and it rode fine. It was 1.5 hrs away from home so I planned to ride it there. Well I went to the gas station and noticed it was saying it was running very hot and after I got gas it wouldn't start. I call the guy back and he comes and jumps it and I ask him about the temp gauge and he says it doesn't work. I start heading home and then stopped at the gas station about 45 mins later and its smoking so I turn it right off. There was not a drop of oil in it so we add it and I added coolant as well. It must have been bone dry too but I kept pouring until it was to the top of the neck (oops!) I had to push start it then I take off once again and I notice coolant running out underneath the cap and then I fwel fluid hit my foot and I pull over immediately. It was still running fine until i cut it off. I ended up towing it home. I had someone take a look and I blew 2 radiator hoses and not sure what else. Is it due to overfilling with coolant? Do u think its a major repair or not? I checked oil and it was very low but I only added a qt so it wasn't much in there anyways (not good I know). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here's my personal suggestion, and it may be overkill.

I say get a manual, either online or real, read how to drain and refill all your fluids. Drain everything, refill everything correctly... start from scratch. Imho.

Mort

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stuff that was leaking out from the hoses was brownish fluid. I'm sure its been a very long time since its been flushed. The bike shop is picking it up tomorrow but I'm not sure how soon they can check it out. Im guessing the battery is no good so ill get that checked as well.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking), and how long has the bike been sitting/collecting dust? Sounds to me like the bike was very poorly maintained... keep track of the advertisement as well as what the dealership says. If you paid anything over $1,500 (and even then)... it sounds like you've been screwed (assuming the advertisement listed the bike as well maintained... which they all usually do).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The stuff that was leaking out from the hoses was brownish fluid. I'm sure its been a very long time since its been flushed. The bike shop is picking it up tomorrow but I'm not sure how soon they can check it out. Im guessing the battery is no good so ill get that checked as well.
brown coolant = oil in coolant. which usually means corroded coolant or head gasget. how many miles?

·
Registered
673 Posts
This is all sorts of fvcked. Call that guy back and give him his bike and get all your money back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid $2,000 for it. And he said he had a mechanic look everything over on it and it was a good running bike. It has 38k miles on it but said the engine only had around 7k on it but who knows. I did tell him that id like my money back and he told me id have to take it up with the owner which was his friend cuz it wasn't in his name. I feel like I've been screwed to the fullest 100%. My first bike was a 06 ninja 250 and I bought it without test driving cuz I didn't know how to ride yet and had no problems what so ever! But he surely can be held responsible somehow since it was in his posession?

·
Registered
18 Posts
dont trust anyone. Especially some guy selling you an older bike that isnt even his

·
Registered
621 Posts
I paid $2,000 for it. And he said he had a mechanic look everything over on it and it was a good running bike. It has 38k miles on it but said the engine only had around 7k on it but who knows. I did tell him that id like my money back and he told me id have to take it up with the owner which was his friend cuz it wasn't in his name. I feel like I've been screwed to the fullest 100%. My first bike was a 06 ninja 250 and I bought it without test driving cuz I didn't know how to ride yet and had no problems what so ever! But he surely can be held responsible somehow since it was in his posession?
how can he sell you something that is not his? Did you get a title or bill of sale?

You might want to contact or lawyer or something before its to late. Might be able to get ur cash and give that bike back. Sounds like fraud to me.

(Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars in order to compensate for cars that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have the title that has been signed and notorized. Its in the shop so when they tell me what's wrong ill update.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You seriously bought a bike with no coolant or oil in the engine? Wow.

Good news is I have a 14million dollar check from the govt. of nigeria. All I need is your bank account, social security # and some other personal information, because I can't cash it myself. I'll split it 50/50% with you! PM me your info, ya?

·
Registered
868 Posts

Good news is I have a 14million dollar check from the govt. of nigeria. All I need is your bank account, social security # and some other personal information, because I can't cash it myself. I'll split it 50/50% with you! PM me your info, ya?

:crackup::crackup::crackup: you have one for me to!!!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
3 Days.

You have three days to nullify the deal.

Or, you can chalk it up as a learning experience, but it's gonna hurt.

Best to do it all yourself, new oil, new coolant & hoses, new oil &

filter.:banghead:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes, I seriously bought a bike with no coolant or oil in the engine. I've obviously learned my lesson the hard way. Next time ill bring somebody with me that can look it over for me. It may or may not be a real "loss" yet and wont know until they have a chance to look it over. Hopefully it just needs new hoses and new fluids!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, I seriously bought a bike with no coolant or oil in the engine. I've obviously learned my lesson the hard way. Next time ill bring somebody with me that can look it over for me. It may or may not be a real "loss" yet and wont know until they have a chance to look it over. Hopefully it just needs new hoses and new fluids!
haha You are so screwed bro! Well that brown fluid would be coolant and oil which explains
A) why both of them were low and
B) why he wants to sell it.

Best case is it's just dirt from never having a good flush. Worst case is the head is gone.

ALWAYS ALWAYS have someone you know take a look at it!! Did he even provide you with maintenance records? Learned your lesson? That is just common sense man!! I know maybe being a dic* right now but any good friend should berate you for the dumbass thing you just did, then support you as best they can. If I could I would look at the bike for you but I can't, so all I can do is provide you with the advice of what I would do next.

If I were you I would return the bike ASAP and consult a lawyer on what your options are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha You are so screwed bro! Well that brown fluid would be coolant and oil which explains
A) why both of them were low and
B) why he wants to sell it.

Best case is it's just dirt from never having a good flush. Worst case is the head is gone.

ALWAYS ALWAYS have someone you know take a look at it!! Did he even provide you with maintenance records? Learned your lesson? That is just common sense man!! I know maybe being a dic* right now but any good friend should berate you for the dumbass thing you just did, then support you as best they can. If I could I would look at the bike for you but I can't, so all I can do is provide you with the advice of what I would do next.

If I were you I would return the bike ASAP and consult a lawyer on what your options are.
Mind you that I am a female!!! Lol that should tell you something haha. I don't know s*** about a bike exept how to drive it. The guy that picked up to take it to the shop said it didn't look like oil and more like rust and dirt. All I know is I wanted a bigger bike so I bought one!

·
Registered
567 Posts
In for results. Also, seeing as you have no mechanical knowledge, I recommend you get a service manual, have the shop tell you what's wrong and then fix it yourself. Go slow and have a friend with more mechanical know how help. Best way to learn, and with an older bike it is very important that you have that knowledge.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mind you that I am a female!!! Lol that should tell you something haha. I don't know s*** about a bike exept how to drive it. The guy that picked up to take it to the shop said it didn't look like oil and more like rust and dirt. All I know is I wanted a bigger bike so I bought one!
Sigh.. take the time to sit down with a shop manual and read. Your life (literally) depends on the safety of this machine. You should get to know it very well. Plus a chick with a wrench is just damn sexy. It's like me going sky diving and not learning anything about the mechanics of the chute.

Soo I take it we have decided to keep the bike. Well congrats!! I do respect that you wanted something and went out and got it, even if it was a little too complusive. You need to keep a close eye on the fluid levels and see if they go down quick (like are you filling that up every week?). The shop was a very smart idea. Let them give you a list and go from there. Try to have them sort it out for you. Major stuff, minor stuff, and some day stuff..

Also can you put some pics of the bike up please!! Members here are a great database of information. They can pin point stuff out to you and help you get it fixed while delivering sarcasm at the same time.

Reactions: luckyladii98
1 - 20 of 69 Posts