Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every time i kick it into 1st gear it freakin kicks hard and shakes the bike. it makes people's heads turn and it jerks a little. its embarrassing every time. feels awefull... how do i fix this.. any help:retard:

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
every time i kick it into 1st gear it freakin kicks hard and shakes the bike. it makes people's heads turn and it jerks a little. its embarrassing every time. feels awefull... how do i fix this.. any help:retard:

its normal, all bikes do it.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You don't fix it.... there is nothing wrong.

You have to look at the drive train as three components separated at two points...

something like this:

You can control the speed of the engine (at least I hope so)

You can control the speed of the output shaft (by varying road speed)

When you mis-shift into neutral with the clutch in you have disconnected the gearbox shaft from both the output shaft and engine and no longer have control over it's speed.

The clunk your hearing when you shift into gear with the clutch in is the gearbox shaft matching the speed of the output shaft, matching RPM perfectly will do no good in this instance. You will still get a clunk.

To avoid the clunk you have to leave it in neutral, let the clutch out (slowly) to get the gearbox shaft to the correct speed then once rpm is matched to road speed pull the clutch in and quickly shift into gear, then let the clutch back out.

Either that or clutch in and in neutral until your stationary and start again...

The reason bliping the throttle helps is that there is still a small amount of force transmitted through the clutch even though you have it pulled in (similar principle of operation to an auto gearbox's torque converter), the engine will be going considerably faster than the gearbox shaft but the gearbox shaft will nevertheless speed up a little, causing its speed to approach the speed of the output shaft resulting in a smaller clunk.

This is also why you get a very light clunk when you shift into first when your stationary, the gearbox shaft is spinning slowly with the clutch in, when you put it into first it comes to a sudden stop as it engages with the output shaft and makes a small clunk.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
it is normal. use the search. first gear clunks on all bikes.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanx. Im from Bakersfield.

I use mobil synthetic.
Then my chain makes all kinds of noise. I lube it after every ride.....

well that is probably part of your issue. what weight?

and chains make noise. you shouldnt be able to hear it while riding though. is it actually aligned properly?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Its bike oil. Got it at cyclegear. Chain has good slack. The dials for the chain adjusters are even.
When you have the rear tire on stand, spin it and look at the position of the sprocket on the chain. Does it stay centered? Adjustments by eye may look good based off the alignment blocks but can still be off.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Its common but shouldn't happen every time, If you are experiencing it "while rolling" you are likely shifting down to (first-gear) too fast you shouldn't have it in first-gear until you are almost at a complete stop or moving really slowly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.