Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any technique or any hardware that would make smooth throttle operation in first gear?
When I start to apply throttle coming out of a tight corner (if I'm in first gear) it's never smooth. I've been working on throttle control and have it pretty decent at this point, but first gear is always a challenge.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
make your roll on a little slower, you also need to make sure you have some maintenance throttle going into the turn it should never fully close when you get into the turn,

then when you hit the apex, start your roll on slow, I am thinking you are rolling on and starting fast then easing into it, the roll on must be smooth throughout,

and if you have no maintenance throttle it will be choppy, I suggest using second to make turns,

but maintenance throttle, and slow roll on, it just takes time,

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just like other have mentioned, with seat time, practice, and maintenence throttle.

There is a fair amount of slack in the drive line. If you go from engine braking to accelerating too fast it'll be jerky. Of course adjusting chain slack might help a little bit.

Also one technique I heard about is braking, and rolling off the throttle, so that the cush drive bushings are always loaded in the proper direction for accelerating, so there's no impact from going from decell to accel.

Also throttle jerkiness can indicate a fueling problem. Any mods done to the bike? Filer been checked?

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds like you could feather the clutch to buffer the initial transition in slack too. i look at it this way the slack change is going to happen once anyways right? i deal with it before the turn.
if you're on and off the throttle through the corner than that says your unsure still. which is cured by practice

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
saw a person mention it above but i second it,
do not close the throttle mid turn, if you are on the gas, then get off of it mid corner, the engine braking will be the same thing as hitting your break ya know..
once on the gas stay on it!
check out articles or book or dvd by Keith code, twist of the wrist series.
throttle control is like the first or second chapter in ToTW2

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
train your self to be much smoother, thats it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
make your roll on a little slower, you also need to make sure you have some maintenance throttle going into the turn it should never fully close when you get into the turn,

then when you hit the apex, start your roll on slow, I am thinking you are rolling on and starting fast then easing into it, the roll on must be smooth throughout,

and if you have no maintenance throttle it will be choppy, I suggest using second to make turns,

but maintenance throttle, and slow roll on, it just takes time,
I think that's exactly what's happening to me. Sometimes I go into the turn with throttle fully closed. Two issues here I can see by reading all replies:
1 - Applying breaks too close to the turn thus having to let off throttle to keep my line.
2 - Not using maintenance throttle.

Thank you all for helping out. I'll try it tomorrow ... (erhh... later today). Hopefully it will be better. :ciao:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I am never in first gear through a corner, usually second around the city. Personal preference tho I guess.
think i have to agree mate i dont find myself in 1st very often, only when when i`v stopped for lights and i`m taking off again. gearing down to 1st seems to low of a gear to me on every bend i take maybe down to the roads i ride maybe :dontknow:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Like others have said, start the roll on prior to the apex and sometimes even while you are still on the brakes. I know it sounds weird, but once you get it right the first, you will always at least attempt to do it for every corner. It takes time, and remember, even the best racers in the world are constantly training themselves to be smoother on the throttle.

While it is true that you can kind-of Band Aid the problem by fixing the fueling with a PC and a proper tune, I am suspecting that this is related to the nut behind the handlebar more than anything else.

Damian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts