Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short guys, I was sorta in the process of building up a racecar and sorta just gave up on the idea due to complications with time. So the car in it's current state is probably worth about $2-2.2k and a guy on a different forum hit me up asking to do a straight trade on his 600RR that needs about $2-2.5k worth of work. Supposedly he got clipped head on and doesn't want the bike anymore for obvious reasons and says the bikes still a clean title? The whole thing sounds a bit fishy to me but don't want to pass up on a good deal like this, so my question is would you guys do it?

-Run down-
needs: front fairings, left headlight, radiator, rearsets, rear subframe, 8k miles

The good thing is that he said it has new tires, new brake pads, HID's w/ the third eye? And other bolt ons here and there, but at the same time I've talked to my other buddies and my co-worker that has been riding for 7+ years and they all said they'd never buy a crashed bike.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i would look more into it. If you have to replace the head light then you might want to check those HIDs, something BIGGER could be wrong with it. I would check the frame out closely. It could still have a clean title because he never reported it to his insurance so they never totaled it.

Does he have another bike or his this his only bike? For an avid bike rider, i will NEVER go without a bike if i didn't have to.

I would either take it into a bike shop and get an estimate and a look over or take someone with EXTENSIVE bike knowledge with me to go look at it

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would look more into it. If you have to replace the head light then you might want to check those HIDs, something BIGGER could be wrong with it. I would check the frame out closely. It could still have a clean title because he never reported it to his insurance so they never totaled it.

Does he have another bike or his this his only bike? For an avid bike rider, i will NEVER go without a bike if i didn't have to.

I would either take it into a bike shop and get an estimate and a look over or take someone with EXTENSIVE bike knowledge with me to go look at it
Yeah I manage an automotive mechanic/body shop and I'm really aware of accidents esp. on cars. After we do tear downs we find more damages etc, and yeah he said he didn't report it to his insurance company because he was going to I guess get the cash settlement from the accident to repair the bike. At the same time he realized he would never ride again due to the fact that he lost two toes and almost his foot.

He said this was his only bike and i'm guessing source of commuting cause all he had was a fully built racecar that obviously wasn't street legal.

Even my co-worker who's been riding for 7+ years said that it's hard to tell if the frame is bent on bikes compared to cars. My original idea was to take it to a few local bike shops and even a Honda bike shop a few miles down the road to get estimates to see what they thought about the bike. So maybe I should just ask the guy to do that then?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would steer clear of that if it were me man. But then again if its a legit dood and your looking for a project could be alot of fun and end up with a nice bike.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Clipped head on? I'd be concerned about the frame and fork. Maybe you mean he was side swiped head on from the parts you're listing and the loss of toes and almost foot?

Even if the bike was taken as a total loss, I'm guessing it can be parted out for more than $2.5K if you're willing to put in the time and effort to strip the thing down.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm sorry he wasn't clipped head on just taken out on the side. He said the forks are okay along with the frame and that the engine sparks up fine.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Before you commit to anything take a ride to his place
and go check it out take your 7 years riding co worker
with you best of luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Remember it's buyer beware, so you can't really believe anything someone says. If it wasn't his fault why wouldn't he take it to the insurance company? Sounds a little fishy to me.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Like everyone says, steer away from that crashed bike. It may be more headache for you to repair it and restore to good condition. Plus depending on what "race car" you are trading you'll most definitely be losing money on the trade.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember it's buyer beware, so you can't really believe anything someone says. If it wasn't his fault why wouldn't he take it to the insurance company? Sounds a little fishy to me.
That's what I said, so his story was a Ren-A-Car company car hit him(Avis) and I guess the driver was an employee. Due to the fact that he had only liability the insurance company for Avis just gave him a check of I guess the bluebook value of the bike? So he got that money and was going to restore the bike but physically can't? To me certain things don't add up so yeah I'm going to go checkout the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First few steps i would take

What I would do 1st is go and see the the bike. If its worth going any further, bring it to one of those GMD computrak places where a machine measures up the bike and sees if its ok. If its ok. List down all the crap that needs replacement. Go to carolinacycle.com (or similar place) and add up all parts. Then from there make an educated gamble. "slightly" crashed bikes aren't so bad. These new bikes in my opinion hold up better than older bikes. Good luck and hopefully it works out in your favor.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
dude if the frame, forks, and subframe is all straight I'd go for it. This is a way too good deal to pass on. But then again you know what they say about a deal too good to be true!

D

·
0 Posts
-Run down-
needs: front fairings, left headlight, radiator, rearsets, rear subframe, 8k miles
From that kind of damage, I would steer clear of it. Clipping someone in the front of the bike and saying it needs a new radiator, but nothing about forks, is fishy as hell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts