Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody.
im going to germany soon to visit my family for about 2.5 months.
my question is, what are the basic steps to storing it?
i had planned to drain all the fluids (how do i drain the gas out of the tank? any easy ways of doing that or do i have to remove the tank?) and disconnect the battery.
anything else i should worry about?

thanks in advance,
peter

·
Deeze
1,160 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, 2.5 months isn't that long. leave the fluids in it, mine is stored every year for 5 months in wisconsin cold and i have never had a problem, don't even disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
In my opinion, for only two months, I dont know if all that is necessary. I'd add some Stabil to the gas and change the oil. You could also remove the spark plugs, and put a tiny drop of oil into the cylinders, but I dont think thats necessary.

Remove the battery, and put it on a trickle charger if you have one.

Get a cheap cover to keep out dust and moisture. Will the bike be stored outside or inside?

Like Nutz, I store mine in my garage over the winter and the only thing I did was to add Stabil to the fuel. I started it every two weeks or so and let it run for 20 minutes or so also. My garage stays about 50 degrees all winter though. Since you'll be gone, starting it every so often wont really be an option though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmr1 said:
In my opinion, for only two months, I dont know if all that is necessary. I'd add some Stabil to the gas and change the oil. You could also remove the spark plugs, and put a tiny drop of oil into the cylinders, but I dont think thats necessary.

Remove the battery, and put it on a trickle charger if you have one.

Get a cheap cover to keep out dust and moisture. Will the bike be stored outside or inside?

Like Nutz, I store mine in my garage over the winter and the only thing I did was to add Stabil to the fuel. I started it every two weeks or so and let it run for 20 minutes or so also. My garage stays about 50 degrees all winter though. Since you'll be gone, starting it every so often wont really be an option though.
it'll be stored in a garage. i wasnt even thinking about a cover... do i need that if its in a garage?

·
Registered
251 Posts
for only 2 months i wouldn't even put a cover.
make sure that it's locked up and you put all the alarm/chains/diskblocks you have.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Do not, I repeat, do not drain the gas and oil. You're only promoting other problems by doing that. 2.5 months isn't that long, but if you're really anal put new oil in it before you leave, stabil in a FULL fuel tank, and hook up a trickle charger to it. When you come back, change the oil(not really necessary though) and you'll be more than good to go.

·
Brown at your service
3,493 Posts
If I were you I would go ahead and cover it. The dust can get in all types of nooks and cranneas. Bike will never look clean after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts