Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding tonight. At first I was just going to wear a regular sweater with my Icon Stryker Vest, cause I felt like I was going to cruise around town. At the last minute. I decided to "Nah. Im gonna go on the freeway, go somewhere new. Waste this last line on my fuel gauge and see how much it costs to fill her up". So I grabbed my jacket instead.

Glad I did

About 30 minutes later, I see a car merging onto the freeway, and they are swerving
1) They are Drunk
2) They are texting
3) It's an old dude

3 is your winner. Some old dude, hauling like a bat out of hell, swerving.
I knew " **** I gotta get past this guy or hang back, but if I hang back im behind him and if he slams his brakes, Im basically F***ed." I Decided Im going to have to own my lane, and get in front of him. I started to speed up. Right when my front wheel crossed his back wheel. He hits his signal, and heads into my lane, no shoulder check or anything staring straight ahead, eyes Locked. I had to check my mirror quickly and swerve into the next lane, because he moved over so fast-and so far he almost went over two lanes.Essentially knocking my out of my lane. I turned around gave him the bird, and he sped off. CLOSE CALL #1... About 5 Minutes after this happened, my adrenaline was pumping and I decided it was time to go home.I exited the freeway, and got onto an unfamiliar road. The road made a very sharp right turn, which I handled like a champ. Up ahead I could see cars coming from down the road, so I hit the speed limit on the road of 35. Im cruising for a block or two, I look down to see my gas line is blinking. I looked down for 1 mabe 2 seconds. Looked up and HOLY S**T. There was a Curb and a Fence In Front of Me no more then 50 Feet away. Where I saw the cars coming from, was a One way. exit only. (I didn't know this going down the street) I slammed my brakes. I instinctively grabbed the clutch (my car is stick shift also just habit to hit the clutch at a quick stop) and I started down shifting. My rear brake Locked and I started to feel my back end fishtailing. I kept it locked until I stopped. I sat on my bike, and turned it off and stood there looking. I was 3 feet away from the curb and fence. I took my helmet off and I saw a guy standing there, I asked him " Did you See that?" he goes " yeah, you parked HELLA fast! Your good at that, I saw you coming pretty quick down the street, then you were dead stopped." I asked him " wow really? did I skid? did you hear my tires screeching?" he said " nah bro, you came and parked smooth."
So I guess I came to a complete panic stop without Locking my brakes. It ws scary as hell for me, It was my first close call. I called it a night after that, and vowed to take the streets home, and to never go down another unfamiliar street at night or when its dark. You can say I had some heavy pants after that, my adrenaline was pumping for about 20 minutes after that!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool story bro...
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or being serious. Im new to riding. I haven't had my bike a month yet. Those were scary situations for me. If you are being sarcastic, take it somewher else troll. You are worthless. If you weren't being sarcastic. Then thank you for reading. Im pretty damn sure you were being sarcastic

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am glad you lived to tell about it. I had too many close calls riding at night so I gave up the night rips almost completely. The exception is if i did some maintenance on the bike and want to test things - i would go around the block. Also practice practice practice - ask yourself - can you repeat the braking you did consistently? If you are uncertain - go and practice emergency braking until it is a second nature. From all the speeds you usually ride. You did great tho this time. You are ok, bike is ok - thats all that matters :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Yeah Guess I Can Live with TheX. Some people are just some people. Nothing I can do to change it. Don't gotta be a D***K for No Reason though

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah Guess I Can Live with TheX. Some people are just some people. Nothing I can do to change it. Don't gotta be a D***K for No Reason though
Maybe it has something to do with saying it was on 'Old Dude'.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe it has something to do with saying it was on 'Old Dude'.

Maybe... The man was elderly.. Had to be 80+ He shouldn't of been driving, Let alone at that time of night!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha I can totally picture the two different perspectives of the incident

Yeah lol. I mean dude I thought I locked my rear tire... I felt it fishtail. or maybe it was my brain playing tricks on me just ******* with me... I was coming home from work tonight. Missed a skunk by about 3 inches haha..I was going 75. I wonder if it would have made me crash. or if I would have just cut it in half haha.. That skunk GOT LUCKY!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
we've learnt to live with theX. we like him, despite his best efforts....
BBAHAHAHAHA

OP, glad you made it out alright. close calls are going to happen all the time, yesterday i had to do some quick maneuvers after the car in front of me hit a road gator (blown tire of 18-wheeler) and sent in spinning randomly at me.

but yes, you shouldn't take unfamiliar roads at night if it can be helped

·
Registered
105 Posts
Glad you're okay man. I feel it's very important to learn how to panic brake on your own bike as many times as you can to make it second nature to you cause crap like this will happen. Ride safe.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Glad you made it out alive; considering you are a beginner, that was impressive. But don't get cocky.....ever. With these bikes a cocky rider will get bit in the ass and many other body parts one way or another. Stay safe.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you made it out alive; considering you are a beginner, that was impressive. But don't get cocky.....ever. With these bikes a cocky rider will get bit in the ass and many other body parts one way or another. Stay safe.
Man, I believe you. I take everything everyone here says. That's why I thank everyone. You take the time to read and respond to my post. Thats time consuming so thank you! Yes never get cocky. I have my flaws and I have to correct them or make them work in my favor. Being cocky I hope doesnt become one of them cause I dont want to be "that rider" If that makes any sense. I'm glad to be around still too. There were no "lane ends" or "not a through street" signs. When i turned around I looked... Im gonna add some photos! hang on!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts