Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello!!

I'm looking to get a second set of wheels for the track and found some '01 929RR wheels on CL but I'm having trouble finding info on if the wheels (and especially brake discs) will be compatible with minimal headache. Any gurus out there that can bless me with their knowledge?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,847 Posts
the rear will fit, but the front will not. you'll have to machine the wheel to get the rotors to line up with the calipers, as well as either change the bearings or machine new captive spacers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Am I correct in assuming I can keep a higher tooth sprocket (thinking a 45) on the track wheel for use with the same chain from my street wheel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, makes sense. Thank you for all the info.

Is there a resource that you're aware of that I can check out for specifics on what it would take for a machine shop to get the front wheel working for me?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you don't mind changing the front sprocket at/before the track you can get by using the same chain. Going down 1 in the front would give you about the same gearing ratio as going up 3 in the rear like you're looking to do, and will still allow you to have enough room to properly adjust the chain. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My OG thinking was that hey, if I'm going to have a set of track rims/tires, may as well have a differently geared sprocket on the track rim. If I can keep the chain intact and swap the front sprocket without too much hassle though I will do that, I haven't messed with either yet so I wasn't sure if I could switch out the front as easily as the back without needing to break the chain. Yank the rear tire and I guess there is enough slack to shift the chain forward and swap the front sprocket?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Swapping just the front sprocket will keep you from having to break the chain. You could run the larger rear sprocket and have two separate chains, but you would constantly swapping master links. Having a spare front sprocket would be the cheaper option. Either way you're about to get really good at quickly adjusting chain slack and alignment as you'll have to do this every time you make the swap lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah you've totally sold me on a spare front sprocket. Cheaper too :p

Although I'm seriously considering the lightech chain adjusters. Kinda ugly but the functionality seems pretty great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts