Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 2002 Honda 954 was available on ebay yesterday and ended at $2900. I was contacted by the seller after the auction ended on a question I had,and was offered the bike. It is in Italy and would be shipped to my house for my inspection, then once inspected I would pay for the bike. The bike would be shipped FedEx Freight and payed for by the seller and take 5 days to get to my door step. The seller lives in Italy but moved from the US and says that they don't have time to ride it. Its says showroom condition, and only 3300 miles on it. It is still registered in the US and they haven't payed the import tax in Italy yet, which is one reason they said they are selling it for.

Anyone heard of this as a scam? The seller has 14 feedback, joined 2 yearsago and has 100% feedback. Kinda freaky sounding but what can I lose just telling them to ship it? Or am I totally wrong? Also the seller is protected up to $10,000 in Ebay's Square Trade. What do you guys think? It isn't like a mafia hit or something is it?

Or some run away isn't gonna show up inside the shipping box and want to stay the rest of their life at my house are they?!!

I emailed them back and asked for the vin#, what state here in the US it is titled, and made sure they said the shipping would be paid for by the seller which they stated.

What do you guys think or what feedback can you give me?

C

·
0 Posts
These overseas deals on e-bay always sound fishy to me. But, if the only information you give him is your address for shipping the bike, I cant see what he can do to you. Dont give him your personal info beyond name, any account or credit info, etc. If they ask for that I would forget about it. Unfortunately if it sounds to good to be true, it is 99.99999% of the time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My advice...if it doesn't feel right, walk away. Italy...hell no.
Personally, if I can't see a vehicle with out a some kind of comittment then
I always pass on it. There will always be another that will come along.
It's been my experience when ever I tried to force a deal...it always
seemed to just feel wrong. When I drop several thousand on something I
want to walk away feeling all warm, fuzzy, and excited...not remorsefull.
This has happened to me my last 4 vehicle purchases. I walked away
because it seemed bogus or too much hassle. Then a couple days later
another would show up. Kind of vague huh? OK here's an example.
When I was shopping for my truck, I found one that I loved that was really
close to my house. The guy was an ass. Wanted a holding fee, proof of
credit...etc. I was going to give him cash. So, I walked. A week later
another truck...exactly like the first, showed up on autotrader but it was
150 miles away. I called them and they were really cool about the entire
thing. Sent me more info about the truck then I wanted. I showed up one
weekend and they were great people. I handed them the cash right there.
I love my truck, I think if I would have forced the first deal then I wouldn't
have been half as happy.

Good luck maing! :partyman:
Remember buying a new bike should feel like Christmas...

·
Registered
541 Posts
odd. seems real odd. The first thing that popped into my head was the bike's stolen n' someones using an overseas account to sell it in the us. but ... I don't knwo the details. If it comes with a clear title I dunno why it wouldn't be worth a shot. I'm not sure what it could hurt if you have the bike AND title in hand before you send out any cash.. *shrug*.

but I havn't bought any bikes over ebay either so I have 0 experience. ZERO experience.

·
Registered
286 Posts
send NO MONEY, especially via western union. If he's willing to ship COD or something like that....chase after it :D

Make sure that title is clean though...

·
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!
811 Posts
HATERS!! I bet they're all searching ebay now.

Explain: What's he risking???? What's he gaining???

Evaluate: Risk vs Gain

·
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!
811 Posts
[No message]

H

·
0 Posts
i would not mess with it.. it just does not sound right.. there has to be something up with it..

·
Registered
931 Posts
jsut tell im to send you the bike, chec kthe vin make sure it aint stolen, when the bike gets to your house than if everythign chechks out **** you can send him money, after you get it regestered! or you could just rip him off

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
These deals never make any sense to me.

Why would someone take a bike with them overseas? Just buy another one when you're over there!!!

I was interested in the same type of thing, but the bike was in Cancun. Sounds fishy either way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Schwing said:
These deals never make any sense to me.

Why would someone take a bike with them overseas? Just buy another one when you're over there!!!
if it's in UK, yeah you better just buy a new one over there.. but when you're some other places, it is way too expensive... in my country, you can buy a 600RR.. but for $15k .. so better take the bike with you!

hey hey don't get me wrong.. i'm not on their side..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts