Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO 1st Post...

I found a black 03 600RR w/ only 1200 easy miles for $5500 in the area and im thinking of getting it for my first track bike.. It sounds like a good deal and im going to check it out this weekend..

1. Do you think this is a good first track bike ?

2. Does this model have any negative part issues ?

3. What are the good part issues ? Fuel Injected ? Can I upgrade to 05 Forks ?

I need to make my move asap - so if you know of anything about this bike please let me know..

Thanks - Mike

ps. Got a 05 R1 now - 3rd bike...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have $6K in upgrades & only 55 more monthly payments - cant risk it.. I have never done the track but its calling my name.. I could afford to make a $5500 mistake but not a $17000 mistake...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I dont see why they would make a bad track bike. the only thing better than a 03 would be a 05, has better brakes and better suspension. Other than that the negative parts issue is ppl are having charging problems bgut if your on a track I dont think that will be an issue, and good parts are good chassis and rear swingarm (from the RC211V). And yes you can upgrade to the 05 front USD forks if you want to.

·
Registered
605 Posts
FOZZ said:
HELLO 1st Post...

I found a black 03 600RR w/ only 1200 easy miles for $5500 in the area and im thinking of getting it for my first track bike.. It sounds like a good deal and im going to check it out this weekend..

I need to make my move asap - so if you know of anything about this bike please let me know..

Thanks - Mike

1 - Yes very much so
2 - Not really although second hand spares can hold there value (great when your selling, not when buying)
3 - Plenty of after markets bits for them, fuel injection can be a little snatchy, but not a problem on the track. Yes you can put 05 forks on (need the whole front end) but i would try it as it is first !

·
Registered
163 Posts
These bikes are great but I couldn't see spending $5K on a track only bike. If it would be dual purpose (track/street) then it would be a pretty good investment.

Off topic - is this the same FOZZ from Speed-Tribe in Oklahoma? If so, hey man what's up. If not ....hey man, what's up?

·
Registered
932 Posts
General Rule about Race/Track Bikes:

If you're not ready to throw it in the garbage can, don't put it on the track.

I would think that if this is your first track bike, you might want to look at an older F4i, as it would save you a couple of $K (I started track days on an old F4). However, I don't know your financial situation, so $5.5K may not be a lot for you. At any rate, the RR is a really nice track bike. If you can afford it, and afford to fix it, then by all means I would say go for it.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
FOZZ said:
I have $6K in upgrades & only 55 more monthly payments - cant risk it.. I have never done the track but its calling my name.. I could afford to make a $5500 mistake but not a $17000 mistake...
what the heck are you riding??? 1000rr???

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
FOZZ said:
:iamwithst open yer eyes E...

on topic, Fozz, only recommendation i'd make is to look to buy someone's track bike that's already hooked up. already has the upgraded suspension, rearsets, track glass, clip-ons... etc. should be in the same price range and ya get something already set to go.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
welll shee-IT. OOPS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Someone on here is selling a 600rr tracked prepped for $6k with low mileage. Check that out. Saves you money and work converting.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
you can buy a fully race prepped 2003 RR for $6,000. If this is a street bike that needs race prep I would pass and look for a good condition race prepped RR.

The RR is a great track bike.

FOZZ said:
HELLO 1st Post...

Thanks - Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chodrick said:
These bikes are great but I couldn't see spending $5K on a track only bike. If it would be dual purpose (track/street) then it would be a pretty good investment.

Off topic - is this the same FOZZ from Speed-Tribe in Oklahoma? If so, hey man what's up. If not ....hey man, what's up?
Ya - Its me - WHAATTZZZZ UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP....

Thanks to all for the replys - I think Im going to keep looking around for a bike that is a little cheaper / older... Dont want to wad up $5K - good point...

Anyone else interested - the bike is on the speed-tribe classifieds - great deal..
03 Black 600RR w/ 1200 light miles for only $5500...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Are you kidding me??? These things were made to be on the track! I bought my 03 specifically for track time and occasional street time. But shoot if I had an 05 R1 I'd be thinking about seeing what it can do at the track too!
I guess I'm just ***** whooped for the track.

Negative issues for the 600RR on the track:
Suspension - forks needs to be stiffened up.
Rearsets are too low.

Other stuff that might be good to change, but isn't bad:
Steel brake lines for less brake fade.
Add a steering damper for more aggressive track riding.
Don't go crazy on the track on the OEM tires.

Keep the 03 forks on there, they take a beating better in a crash than the USD forks do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts