Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my bike that won’t start, I already check the relays, fuse, put a new pump, change the bank angle sensor, clean de injectors check the voltages to the injectors and everything seems to be working, but the bike crank but won’t start. Like a said I have pressure on the system pump is working, relays are working. Fuses working including the 30amps fuse by the starter. Any ideas? Thanks

· Registered
1,076 Posts
These are final-results test. Will confirm everything upstream is working.

Do you have fuel going into cylinders?
Do you have spark?

· Registered
1,076 Posts
If it'll run on carb-cleaner, then you've got spark, didn't need to change BAS, relay or fuses.
But not getting fuel from tank into cylinders. Flow is stopped somewhere.

MECHANICAL: There are many junctions between tank and injectors. Easy test is to disconnect one joint at a time starting at tank and running pump to see if fuel is flowing. Then reconnect and move on to next joint, disconnect that and run pump again. At some point, fuel may stop flowing. Examine that location closer.

ELECTRICAL: If you've got voltage at injectors, then ECU may not be triggering them with grounding pulses. Can check with solenoid light or oscilloscope.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it'll run on carb-cleaner, then you've got spark, didn't need to change BAS, relay or fuses.
But not getting fuel from tank into cylinders. Flow is stopped somewhere.

MECHANICAL: There are many junctions between tank and injectors. Easy test is to disconnect one joint at a time starting at tank and running pump to see if fuel is flowing. Then reconnect and move on to next joint and disconnect that. At some point, fuel may stop flowing. Examine that location closer.

ELECTRICAL: If you've got voltage at injectors, then ECU may not be triggering them with grounding pulses. Can check with solenoid light or oscilloscope.

Thank you, I’ll look into it and hopefully let everybody know if I was able to make it work

· Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
Verify you have at least 13.0 v at the battery and clean your main ground cable bolted to the left side of the frame. Coat it with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. This ensures your bike has optimum voltage to run the system.

I agree with danno that this appears to be a fuel flow problem. You say you installed a new fuel pump. Can I assume you replaced the strainer, the pump motor, and possibly the pressure regulator? If you didn't get the pressure regulator replaced or cleaned it could be the problem. It can also pop out of the housing after a rebuild and allow all the fuel to short cycle back to the tank which starves the engine.

You need to verify the fuel pump is working correctly. I'd suggest you perform a fuel flow test by removing the banjo bolt on the fuel rail and jumping the fuel-cut relay. Run the pump for 10 seconds. You should get @ 6.5oz (US).

Next test is fuel pressure. Install a 100 psi fuel gauge on the fuel rail with everything installed to hold pressure on the fuel rail. Jump the pump and see what pressure you get. You should be @ 50 psi +/- 10%.

If it fails either test it won't run correctly.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
NRR bring up good point. Just because something's NEW doesn't mean it's actually good and functional. Importers are buying stuff at lowest-price possible to maximise profits and there's tonne of low-quality crap on market. Hopefully you got new OEM pump from authorised Honda dealer or one of brand-name pumps with good track-record. Most of time I've bought generic no-name pump, I've wasted time and money because I ended up with non-functional pump that needed to be replaced right away:

1. here's flow-test of pump out of manual

2. also need pressure-test of pump. Just because it can flow lots at zero pressure, doesn't mean it can build pressure and flow then. Connect fuel-pressure gauge to fuel-rail and run pump. Pressure should be around 3.5-bar, 50psi or so.

Reactions: NewRedRider

· Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
Hey danno, what year SM is that taken from? Interesting how the '03-04 SM specs 6.5 oz min. I guess they lowered their standards. Also, I'm jealous of the quick connector they installed for the newer bikes. That would have been nice to have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts