Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I bought an 03 600rr a few weeks ago from an abandoned vehicle auction, looks like whoever had it before laid it down, cause the whole left side is scraped up. Anyway... I've been fixing it up trying to get it to run. It didnt have keys or anything so I ordered a new oem ignition cylinder because the one that was on there was a chinese one without the zener diode thing. Turns out the bike only has 7300 miles on it, was expecting a lot more.

Once I had the key I tried to start it and it cranked over fine, but wouldnt start. turns out no fuel pump power or spark. I tried bypass the bank angle sensor, but that wasnt working for some reason. So I got a new one of those thinking that would fix both the fuel and spark problem, because I heard those will kill those both. Well when i plugged the new one in and turned the key, I heard the fuel pump prime, so that fixed that, but when I tried to start it, it would just crank and crank and crank. It smelled like gas so I know its getting fuel. I pulled a plug out, and still no spark. So i thought, maybe its just bad coils, it has been sitting awhile. So I put a multimeter from the red/yellow wire from the coil wire on the right side of the bike to positive, and the negative to the frame, and got no volts.

So I believe the coils might be fine, they just arent getting any power? If i did the test right... If this is true, can anybody help me figure out what may be holding back the power from going to the coils? Thanks!

·
Registered
03 CBR600RR, 12 GTI
3 Posts
I'm going through kind of a similar thing at the moment with my 03 600RR as well. Except I bypassed everything and checked all the fuses/relays and I do get spark and fuel pump prime. Same issue, just cranks and cranks.

I got it to sputter into a start once and it would immediately stall unless I held rpms around 3k or higher until it was warmed up to at least 145F or higher. Once warmed up, it actually drove alright, albeit pretty poor fuel mileage.

However after sitting a week due to holidays, it is back to just cranking.

LonelyOwl7, do you have a solid FI light after cranking? Or any blinks? Mine stays solid so I think I have a bad ECU (BAS fine and FI fuse fine).

Best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going through kind of a similar thing at the moment with my 03 600RR as well. Except I bypassed everything and checked all the fuses/relays and I do get spark and fuel pump prime. Same issue, just cranks and cranks.

I got it to sputter into a start once and it would immediately stall unless I held rpms around 3k or higher until it was warmed up to at least 145F or higher. Once warmed up, it actually drove alright, albeit pretty poor fuel mileage.

However after sitting a week due to holidays, it is back to just cranking.

LonelyOwl7, do you have a solid FI light after cranking? Or any blinks? Mine stays solid so I think I have a bad ECU (BAS fine and FI fuse fine).

Best of luck.
my stays solid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked your PGM-FI fuse?

From what I understand from the manual, a solid red FI light is either a bad BAS, bad PGM-FI fuse or a bad ECU.

Hope someone with more experience can chime in.
I did check all the fuses in the little fuse box, and the main one near the battery and they're all good.

I'm a little confused about this FI light. What is it supposed do when everything is working properly? Because the manual has a problem for it being on, off, blinking, etc. What is it supposed to do if there is nothing wrong?

The manual says something about a 4 pin connector near the battery as something like a service connector. I thought the only time the FI light would show codes is if you used that connector and plugged in the special Honda service tool, or if you just jumped two of the wires. But also heard that you just crank it for 10 seconds and then see what the FI light does. So I dont know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, update... just out of curiosity I checked power out of the b/w wire on ignition coil connector #4 and it had battery voltage.(multimeter red on the b/w wire, black on the engine block/ground). When i cranked it, it went to 7-8v. I dont have a peak voltage thing. and I realize that 7-8v might be low, but yesterday I had it hooked up to a known good battery, but when i just tested it, this battery is kinda dead.

So does this mean I just need new coils, or is something still wrong?

·
Registered
03 CBR600RR, 12 GTI
3 Posts
I did check all the fuses in the little fuse box, and the main one near the battery and they're all good.

I'm a little confused about this FI light. What is it supposed do when everything is working properly? Because the manual has a problem for it being on, off, blinking, etc. What is it supposed to do if there is nothing wrong?

The manual says something about a 4 pin connector near the battery as something like a service connector. I thought the only time the FI light would show codes is if you used that connector and plugged in the special Honda service tool, or if you just jumped two of the wires. But also heard that you just crank it for 10 seconds and then see what the FI light does. So I dont know.
Yeah so the FI light is the "fault indicator" light. It is similar to a check engine light on a car, and the "OBD port" that would be on a car is the little service connector on our bikes.

When you start your bike, the FI light should illuminate for a second or two during gauge sweep then go off, and stay off the remainder of the ride/operation. If it stays lit or blinks, something is wrong.

For me personally, I just cranked for 10 seconds and had no blinks, it just stayed red. That's a code "0" from what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You can use the service connector to do the same thing or clear any stored codes, but I'm not too sure how different that may be compared to just cranking the bike for 10 seconds.

I wasn't sure what to even look for so I tried cranking with one of the fuel injectors disconnected, and the light started blinking to the corresponding injector fault, so that's when it all made sense and I realized what to look for.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
It seems unlikely that all of your coils would go bad at the same time. I don't have my manual on me, but 7-8 volts seems low to power the coil. I would guess It would be 12 volts, but please verify. Also, if you have a manual you can see how to check the coils with a multimeter or you should be able to find what you need by searching on the forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I bought an 03 600rr a few weeks ago from an abandoned vehicle auction, looks like whoever had it before laid it down, cause the whole left side is scraped up. Anyway... I've been fixing it up trying to get it to run. It didnt have keys or anything so I ordered a new oem ignition cylinder because the one that was on there was a chinese one without the zener diode thing. Turns out the bike only has 7300 miles on it, was expecting a lot more.

Once I had the key I tried to start it and it cranked over fine, but wouldnt start. turns out no fuel pump power or spark. I tried bypass the bank angle sensor, but that wasnt working for some reason. So I got a new one of those thinking that would fix both the fuel and spark problem, because I heard those will kill those both. Well when i plugged the new one in and turned the key, I heard the fuel pump prime, so that fixed that, but when I tried to start it, it would just crank and crank and crank. It smelled like gas so I know its getting fuel. I pulled a plug out, and still no spark. So i thought, maybe its just bad coils, it has been sitting awhile. So I put a multimeter from the red/yellow wire from the coil wire on the right side of the bike to positive, and the negative to the frame, and got no volts.

So I believe the coils might be fine, they just aren't getting any power? If i did the test right... If this is true, can anybody help me figure out what may be holding back the power from going to the coils? Thanks!
Could be a couple things, I bought a 2005 CBR600rr a couple weeks ago, the bike just turned over. buddy said it just died on him. I noticed the fuel pump was not priming with my experience I believed it to be a fuel pump. couple things to check is,
jump the pump to see if it fires up, if it doesn't probably just a bad fuel pump, there is three wires on the plug just put 12 volts and ground to the plug.
In my case the pump was okay, it ended being a ground issue. On the bike you will have two locations where all the grounds run to a yellow box mine where melted, common on these bikes. my bike also had a bunch of plugs that where corroded. I cleaned there at but dielectric grease on every plug. That fixed my bike.
The yellow ground box is at the front of the bike by the top fuel rail, and the other one is on the left side by the seat harness. good luck man

·
Registered
2018 S1000RR Blue/White/Carbon 2015 R3 Red/White 2006 CBR600RR (blacked out)
37 Posts
Ok, update... just out of curiosity I checked power out of the b/w wire on ignition coil connector #4 and it had battery voltage.(multimeter red on the b/w wire, black on the engine block/ground). When i cranked it, it went to 7-8v. I dont have a peak voltage thing. and I realize that 7-8v might be low, but yesterday I had it hooked up to a known good battery, but when i just tested it, this battery is kinda dead.

So does this mean I just need new coils, or is something still wrong?
What you essentially did was measure available voltage at rest and at cranking. 7-8 volts does seem low but the reason may not be a bad battery. As mentioned above you could have a bad ground somewhere and that's causing whats called a "voltage drop"

this means that you could have 12V at rest but when you crank that you're available voltage drops to 7-8 because you could have a resistance problem at a ground and its siphoning some voltage from the circuit. You coils may only be getting 7-8 volts because resistance at a ground acts as a load and affects everything up stream from it. Therefore bad grounds since they are common for a lot of circuits could be affecting other systems as well and should be ruled out before replacing anything. Good power and good grounds are the first preliminary check in any electrical diagnosis. If your bike doesnt get enough juice and the grounds don't provide a proper path then you get circuits acting squirrley

Very easy check to verify your grounds are ok and free from corrosion. verify grounds are good and if they're ok you may have a battery issue because typically anything less than 10 volts and you wont get the engine to crank fast enough to catch.

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
You need the zener Diode to get the ECM to supply power for the bike to start. China Ignitions do not come with the zener diode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts