Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I have a 03 600rr that I picked up recently. Only has about 8k miles, so I am not 100% sure if the cooling fan is bad or not.

Anyways, once it kicks on, it is pretty freaking noisy. To me it sounds like the bearings are shot (assuming there are bearings in the fan). And when I spin the fan by hand, there is a slight wobble to it. So if I do indeed need to replace it, what part do I actually need to replace?

Looking at the parts diagram (I attached it). I either need to replace Part #4 (the Fan it's self) or Part #5 (the fan motor).

Any info would be awesome!

Added a video of the noise (may have to turn up your speakers a bit).

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
Check to see if your fan has been bent or pushed into the radiator. I had a annoying chatter comming from mine and come to find out the above issue was to blame. I simply reached in by hand and pulled it away from the radiator and all was good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Front Rim

Check to see if your fan has been bent or pushed into the radiator. I had a annoying chatter comming from mine and come to find out the above issue was to blame. I simply reached in by hand and pulled it away from the radiator and all was good.
+1 Same here front rim needed 03-06

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I actually tried to pull it out yesterday. Couldn't get to the last bolt. But with two of the three bolts out I was able to pull the fan away from the rad and spin it, it still made noise. Also it only makes the noise when you spin it clockwise as opposed to counter clockwise.

It doesn't really sound like bearing noise under closer inspection. It is just a fast clicking noise. I will try to take a video/audio recording here shortly. Even though my bike is nearly 10 yars old, it only has 9k miles on it.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
When mine made that noise it was the black rubber piece that covers the top of the motor hitting the. Blades

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
If you decide to replace it, check the classifieds here and eBay. You should be able to get the whole assembly for a decent price.

Sent from somewhere down the bayou.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just got done pulling it out (was done awhile go, trying to get it back in is being a PITA that damn top bolt with very little access!). Anyways, it is 100% the motor. Reason I am putting it back in, is that it does work, just noisy. Not going to lose a day of riding;)

I will check here and the Bay for a replacement (thank you for that suggestion).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts