Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup everyone, I have an 03 with 19k miles on it. Today I took it out after sitting for a week and she was running perfect. I was going about 60 n the red oil light came on n the bike died out. After sitting for a minute or 2 she started fine and rode home fine. She starts fine now and runs n idles fine. I did a fresh oil change like 100 miles ago, no oil leaks, shes topped up on oil and fresh oil filter. The red light stays on and the oil symbol below stays on. When the bike is actually running, the lights switch off. I checked my battery cables and they're right. The picture is with the switch on in Neutral. Any ideas??

·
Registered
187 Posts
The light should stay on till pressure has built up, from your clock I can see the engine is not running, if the oil light came on as you were travelling along it could be a switch or electrical fault , check you see if your side stand is working ok as if this is faulty it could have cut out the engine giving you the red light

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@meatybeaty I will do that. My kickstand is actually loose and needs to be tightened up. I will do that tomorrow and post an update. Thank you bro. If it's not the stand any other ideas? Maybe the oil pressure switch by the oil glass?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Does the light stay on when the engine is running? It always comes on when you just Truro the ignition on because you have no oil pressure. When you start it, the oil pressure builds up immediately and it goes out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the light stay on when the engine is running? It always comes on when you just Truro the ignition on because you have no oil pressure. When you start it, the oil pressure builds up immediately and it goes out.
No it doesn't. As soon as I crank the engine the lights come off. They are only on when the switch is on

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
No it doesn't. As soon as I crank the engine the lights come off. They are only on when the switch is on
Then it’s working correctly. It’s an oil pressure switch, not oil level, so the bike needs to be running for it to turn off.

You said the light came on then the bike quit running, pretty sure it happened the other way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then it’s working correctly. It’s an oil pressure switch, not oil level, so the bike needs to be running for it to turn off.

You said the light came on then the bike quit running, pretty sure it happened the other way.
That's possible. I was riding giving it some gas n I lost power. When I lost power I looked at my dash to see my rpms at 0 n noticed the light was on. So it could've been the bike shut down then the light came on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts