Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am trying to install a GI Pro Gear Indicator display for my 2004 cbr600rr. This is meant to be a plug and play device that connects into the red diagnostic port which is meant to be located under the seat near the battery.

This is my first bike so not sure if im missing the obvious but for the life of me, I cannot find this connector. I have taken the seat off and the battery is there with some other connectors that are plugged in. But there is no red 4 pin diagnostic connector.

Will anyone know where else this connector could be.

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
ive got my 04 completely apart and the only red connector under the seat is actually under the tank and goes to the tranny... that might be the one youre looking for but idk...

·
Registered
157 Posts
It should be a bright red empty square connector, 4 wires going in, nothing connected to it. It may be capped or covered with black tape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a good look and I can easily get to the wiring loom under the seat with other connectors that are connected, but there does not seem to be a red data link connector. Honda said th cbr1000 03-04 dont have them but the 600rr should. Just wondering if anyone has definitely seen the connector on an 04

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Think it might be more towards the headlight than under the seat, I know other "older" Honda's I've had have the connector elsewhere.

What does your service manual say?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The service manual does not even mention the connector. All other resources point to under the seat. From pics of other CBRs the connector should just be coming off the wiring loom under the seat.

I will trying looking in other places and see if I can see it anywhere else

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The service manual does not even mention the connector.
Service or owners manual? The SERVICE manual should, the owners manual probably won't.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm also planning to install this gear indicator on my '04 and could really use a service manual. Anyone know where I can find one online?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry didnt mean service manual i was actually looking at the owners manual. I founf a service manual online and according to that it should be under the seat.

So tomorrow after work I am going to take another look under the seat and see if I can find it.

Im now also thinking it could be possible the bike has been modified. Ive only had it for 2 weeks so im going to investigate tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Guys
So I took a really good look today and guess what, I found it. Really chuffed.

It is under the seat but its sitting deeper under the wiring, I could not see it even when moving the wiries but could feel it with my fingers so managed to pull it into view and then used some pliers to pull it.

Even still the cable length seems much shorter than all the other wires, it may be I need to take the tail fairing off and loosen the wire.

But thanks for the help guys, il let my local honda know they were wrong for telling me the 03-04 does not have the plug as im there this weekend for some hotgrips.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I looked at mine today and couldn't find it either. I did locate a red plug behind the battery but it was plugged into a live connector. Can you describe exactly where you found yours? And be sure to let us know how you like the gear indicator, too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes there is a red plug behind the battery which is clearly visible and it is a different type, so won't be that. But the actual DLC is not visible as its a littler deeper into the tail just under the battery. If you stick you fingers in you may be able to feel the plug, then you give it a bit of a pull to bring it into view, even then it will be behind the rest of the wiring.
I will be installing the GI Pro this weekend as well as some hotgrips so will post some pics on the weekend of the install and the DLC, but its definitely there, as on my first attempt I just could not find it, on my second attempt I was prepared to rip off the fairings I had to, luckily I didnt have to, else I don't know who would have put the fairings back on for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have taken out my battery to install a CTEK charger. I've also had my tail fairing off several times to remove the rear pegs, rewire the integrated tail, and install the license plate bracket. I'm hoping that pulling the battery and fairing will easily reveal the DLC, thanks for giving me a weekend project to find it! One last question... was your DLC covered with rubber or tape, or was it obviously red and out in the open (once you got your hands on it)?

And if you offer positive praise on the GIpro then I'm definitely buying one. Thanks so much for the info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The DLC had no cover or any tape on it. It was just in the open and you will see the 4 pins.
The reason I am going for the GI Pro is because I used to have it on my previous bike a SV650s and it was great and very responsive to the second.
So i am boomed in with my local Honda tomorrow and they will be installing some Oxford hotgrips for me as they had an offer on them for £100 inc fitting. At the same time they have agreed to run my wore through for the GI Pro which saves me having to do it. They said they cannot plug it in for me as Honda only recommends the DLC to be used for diagnostics only. So il hopefully only have to do the easy bit and plug it in :blush:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I went to Honda today and they fitted my hotgrips but also installed my GI Pro for me and done the setup at no extra cost. I definitely be going back to them.

Here is a pic of the GI Pro on my bike. I rode the bike for an hour after I left Honda and I would say the GI Pro was worth the investment. I tried not to rely on it too much but I also did not have to think about what gear im in, when I wasnt sure, just a glance at the display was enough.

Just take note that when the clutch is engaged the display then will not show you any gear, its stops you from coasting the bike I suppose.

Hope that helps

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts