1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conditions: 57°F w/65% humidity

2004 CBR600RR with 21,xxx miles

Bike runs great, pulls hard, just did an oil change and just bought this bike
I plan to do alot of maintenance soon (plugs, coolant, brake fluid, etc)

I was trying to talk in the video but my exhaust was drowning most of it out
The gist of it is: This small amount of white smoke comes out only on a cold start up...no problems ever starting it...and the smoke doesn't come out right away...it takes about 45-60seconds of running. After the bikes initial temp comes out at 98-103ish degrees, the bike no longer smokes.

It does not appear blueish, and the smoke is very faint
The smoke looks almost as if it is just heat condensation evaporating in the cold air, BUT IT IS NOT. Still does the same thing on cold start at 80°F.

I was thinking maybe valve seals? Idunno, I hope somebody with more knowledge than I could give me a good starting point. I wasn't going to check valve clearance yet, but now since I've noticed this smoke I probably will with all of the maintenance I have planned. I do not know how long it's been smoking; I've owned it for 2 weeks, and it is daily ridden ~60mi.
Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bn_PfhsZzOg

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
pretty normal if you just did an oil change. If it's been smoking more than a couple days after an oil change, then something else is wrong (plugs, burning coolant, valve clearance, etc.) Good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed the oil over a week ago -_-

Spark plugs and/or valve clearances will cause white smoke?
The rate of evaporation of the smoke is really making me fear that it is coolant burning...
If the head is cracked, I am going to be really pissed off :)
The only thing that is making me feel kind of OK is the fact that it goes away right after the engine reaches ~100 degrees ...could maybe be something as stupid as water condensing in through the exhaust, but I'm just worried about it :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats happened to me on colder mornings after the bike sat at night and it was juts condensation in the exhaust boiling off, nothing to worry about. No smell to it aka sweet or burning...does it happen if you keep it in a warm garage or start it in the afternoon on a warm/hot day?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It's fine. It's just cold out. It will go away once the bike is warmed up. Think about how we start to see our breath when it's cold or just like hot water on something cold causes steam...

Reactions: nurdie

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
You are fine ... You know when it gets real could and you see the smoke coming out of car exhausts .... Yes that's what is happening

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Reactions: nurdie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts