Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a CBR and am trying to get it back on the road. The bike cranks strong but doesnt kick on.

- Fuel pump primes
- Tip sensor bypassed
- Tried in neutral with kick stand up and clutch pulled in
- Checked yellow ground box for damage/corrosion. Flipped bridge and reconnected connector. My wires to it were black though?
- Changed out all the fuses
- Harness looks in good shape
- Smells like gas when I crank it

I'd love help on what to do next. Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I was more mechanically inclined to help(learning), But best wishes to you on your adventure!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Can you bump start it (Probably not)?

Try this next, hold your throttle wide open, and press/hold your ignition for 5 seconds. Wait 10 seconds, and repeat a few more times. Still not starting, check that your spark plugs are getting spark. There is a little device you can purchase from a auto parts store that will help you test spark - or do it the old fashioned way.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/62-troubleshooting/474561-how-troubleshoot-bike-wont-start.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran out of time today.

Bump start didnt work.

WOT start didn't work.

Ran sensor test, nothing changed.

Tested for spark previously but was with an old spark plug. Had no spark on any of the coils. I'm going to do it again tomorrow with a fresh plug.

Will run a compression test tomorrow as well.

Anyone know how to test the ECM to see if it's sending proper voltage to the coils? I'd like to rule it out.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
the ecm switches the grounds. so it doesn't send voltage anywhere.

there is a black/white wire which is powered when the engine stop relay is energized by the kill switch or BAS (the kill switch switches the positive for the coil, the bank angle sensor switches the negative)

when you cycle the kill switch, if the engine stop relay clicks, then you have 12v to your ignition coils, among other devices, as well as 12v on pin 16 in your ecu (you should consider checking for 12v on this pin, connector b (light grey) pin 16, it'll be the only black/white wire in that connector)

the plugs won't fire if you don't have 12v on that pin.

·
Registered
382 Posts
the ecm switches the grounds. so it doesn't send voltage anywhere.

there is a black/white wire which is powered when the engine stop relay is energized by the kill switch or BAS (the kill switch switches the positive for the coil, the bank angle sensor switches the negative)

when you cycle the kill switch, if the engine stop relay clicks, then you have 12v to your ignition coils, among other devices, as well as 12v on pin 16 in your ecu (you should consider checking for 12v on this pin, connector b (light grey) pin 16, it'll be the only black/white wire in that connector)

the plugs won't fire if you don't have 12v on that pin.
His fuel pump primes, so his fuel cut relay appears to be working, along with fuel pump relay. I suspect you have a brake in the splice from your bike side harness for engine stop switch to your ignition coils - assuming the wiring is the same as a 2007/2008 ????

Just a guess, don't hate, feel free to correct or admonish ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update #2

Original dignosis was by previous owner.

I bought a basic spark plug and tested each plug and cool for spark. They all delivered spark when grounded to the engine.

Changed battery out with a known good fully charged spare. Cranks harder, still won't start. Original battery died after too many good cranks. 15-18.

Fuel pump turns off with kill switch, turns back on with kill switch set to run.

16th pin connector on grey plug to ecu gains 12V with iginition on. Drops to 9V when cranking.

Left head light was working. Now no longer is. High beam still works on right side. Bike has a butched H.I.D. light system. Ive been pushing it in and out of the garage and may have pulled a wire. Who knows. Just noting it.

Exhaust smells of gas lightly when cranking.

Plan to order a new set of plugs this week as bike was last legally registered June 2016. Tank has almost no fuel. Gonna fill it up soon.

To sum up. Bike is cranking hard with spark but no running noises.

Will borrow a compression tester later this week.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Update #2

Original dignosis was by previous owner.

I bought a basic spark plug and tested each plug and cool for spark. They all delivered spark when grounded to the engine.

Changed battery out with a known good fully charged spare. Cranks harder, still won't start. Original battery died after too many good cranks. 15-18.

Fuel pump turns off with kill switch, turns back on with kill switch set to run.

16th pin connector on grey plug to ecu gains 12V with iginition on. Drops to 9V when cranking.

Left head light was working. Now no longer is. High beam still works on right side. Bike has a butched H.I.D. light system. Ive been pushing it in and out of the garage and may have pulled a wire. Who knows. Just noting it.

Exhaust smells of gas lightly when cranking.

Plan to order a new set of plugs this week as bike was last legally registered June 2016. Tank has almost no fuel. Gonna fill it up soon.

To sum up. Bike is cranking hard with spark but no running noises.

Will borrow a compression tester later this week.
Did you pull your spark plugs? Maybe they are fouled? Might want to check to make sure your fuel pump is actually pushing out gas at the proper pressure. Not sure about your model year, nor if this is the proper way to do it, but you could pull the line from the fuel pump that connects to the thingamajig (injectors??) (not at the fuel pump, but the other end - see if gas comes out.

If I read your post a little differently, it seems you say each spark plug that is currently in the bike does spark when grounded to the engine, so maybe it's still an electrical issue, in that the coils are not getting grounded by the ECM??? Both Bank Angle Sensor, and Engine Stop Switch will prevent spark - at least on an '09. So again I go back to if your engine stop switch has a splice that goes to the coils, check that splice - I don't have a wiring diagram for your model year, you need to get one.

BTW, I've not mentioned the zener diode because I believe if that was bad, your fuel pump wouldn't prime, and you wouldn't get spark.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you pull your spark plugs? Maybe they are fouled? Might want to check to make sure your fuel pump is actually pushing out gas at the proper pressure. Not sure about your model year, nor if this is the proper way to do it, but you could pull the line from the fuel pump that connects to the thingamajig (injectors??) (not at the fuel pump, but the other end - see if gas comes out.

If I read your post a little differently, it seems you say each spark plug that is currently in the bike does spark when grounded to the engine, so maybe it's still an electrical issue, in that the coils are not getting grounded by the ECM??? Both Bank Angle Sensor, and Engine Stop Switch will prevent spark - at least on an '09. So again I go back to if your engine stop switch has a splice that goes to the coils, check that splice - I don't have a wiring diagram for your model year, you need to get one.

BTW, I've not mentioned the zener diode because I believe if that was bad, your fuel pump wouldn't prime, and you wouldn't get spark.
Yes. Every separate coil produced a spark as well as every separate coil pack connector.

How would I check if the ECM is grounding them?

No splice wire from kill switch. Just the direct connector to the harness. Unplugged it and plugged it in for good measure.

Turning off the kill switch and turning it back on recycles the start up. Fuel pump kicks on, Fi light comes briefly then turns off, oil light toggles till starter button is pressed.

Will check plugs next week. Going to change them for good measure while I run a compression test.

Afraid I'm running short on ideas after this. Want to buy a used ec m and harness and just swap but don't want to throw money out in the dark.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes. Every separate coil produced a spark as well as every separate coil pack connector.

How would I check if the ECM is grounding them?

No splice wire from kill switch. Just the direct connector to the harness. Unplugged it and plugged it in for good measure.

Turning off the kill switch and turning it back on recycles the start up. Fuel pump kicks on, Fi light comes briefly then turns off, oil light toggles till starter button is pressed.

Will check plugs next week. Going to change them for good measure while I run a compression test.

Afraid I'm running short on ideas after this. Want to buy a used ec m and harness and just swap but don't want to throw money out in the dark.
Well if your original plugs aren't fouled, and you are getting spark with the original plugs, then no gas is making its way in. Can you confirm that your fuel pump is actually pushing gas through the line. If it is, sounds like your injectors are clogged.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if your original plugs aren't fouled, and you are getting spark with the original plugs, then no gas is making its way in. Can you confirm that your fuel pump is actually pushing gas through the line. If it is, sounds like your injectors are clogged.
I tested the spark with a basic but new plug. Haven't pulled the plugs out. I don't have a proper extension to seat the socket to pull them out. In going to go buy it tomorrow morning. Ill pull the hose off the fuel rails tomorrow too and see if its pushing fuel, but if the exhaust pipe smells like gas, doesnt it mean its getting fuel?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update #4

Plugs all sparked.

Tried push starting for .2 miles. Would hear a flutter then tire skids out.

Disconnected gas tank line from top fuel rail. Took a bath in 91 octane. Theres 2 other hoses connected to the gas tank not connected to anything. They just a vent and overflow hose?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Update #4

Plugs all sparked.

Tried push starting for .2 miles. Would hear a flutter then tire skids out.

Disconnected gas tank line from top fuel rail. Took a bath in 91 octane. Theres 2 other hoses connected to the gas tank not connected to anything. They just a vent and overflow hose?
the "Flutter then tire skids out" is the same result as me when my fuel pump wouldn't prime, and I would not get spark. In your case, you are getting spark, but no fuel.

When you pulled your plugs, were they wet? If not, I bet your injectors are clogged. Maybe try intentionally fouling your plugs, then pull one or two and see if they are wet.

Also, you sure you have good fresh gas???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the "Flutter then tire skids out" is the same result as me when my fuel pump wouldn't prime, and I would not get spark. In your case, you are getting spark, but no fuel.

When you pulled your plugs, were they wet? If not, I bet your injectors are clogged. Maybe try intentionally fouling your plugs, then pull one or two and see if they are wet.
I barely smell gas in the exhaust now. So it's possible. I tried to crank my engine a few times before pulling them and at least 2 had residue but I chalked it to oil seepage.

Do I need to pull and clean both sets or can I start with the top first and see if it gets it to start at least?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts