Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When the engine RPM increased due to the starter fluid it sounds amazing and clean. When I try to pull the throttle it chugs and makes the chugging/ringing noise I mentioned and dies out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When the engine RPM increased due to the starter fluid it sounds amazing and clean. When I try to pull the throttle it chugs and makes the chugging/ringing noise I mentioned and dies out.
Have you inspected the inside of your gas tank? Was the tank clean with no gas in it when you put in known good gas? Take a flashlight, and look inside your tank, see if you see any contamination, or sediment.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,999 Posts
if you can manage to get it to idle for a while (even if you have to hold the throttle a bit) just let it calm down, don't try to rev it or anything just let it run for a bit (if it will)

if you don't have brand new gas in the tank, get brand new gas in the tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Was bone dry before but I drained the mist. Put fresh 91, a couple gallons. I was able to get it to run longer by spraying the inside of the air filter and closing the air box back up. Came to an idle for a few seconds after, then would die. No matter the length of time running, the moment I touched the throttle even a bit, it died. It did get a little longer each time. Ran out of starter fluid over spraying previously. Im not beyond taking the fuel rails and gas tank apart and cleaning them out or should I add more gas and keep cracking at it with the starter fluid first? For today, I'm out of time and am leaving for a week in Laughlin, NV. I'll be back in a week to get started on it again.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,999 Posts
How long will it run for? Like do you think its running on its own fuel or just the starter fluid.

Starter fluid is just a quick spray to help the engine catch. You don't keep spraying it to keep it going

·
Registered
382 Posts
Runs good for like 2-3 seconds. Then putts for like 2-3 then dies. Never did starter fluid so I'm not sure if its just starter fluid.
Hopefully you didn't f*ck up your engine by running it solely on starter fluid. Check to see if you see a puddle of melted aluminum on the ground below your engine.

But seriously, at this point it sounds like you are not getting fuel into your cylinders. I go back to my original diagnosis and to confirm your injectors are spitting out fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Update #6

Using starter fluid, I got the bike to chug for a second or two and even rough idle with the throttle cranked open for about 5-8 seconds. Bike always died with a WOT crank no matter what. Whenever the bike was about to die it made this clanking sound that appears to be coming from the throttle body area. Reved the bike a couple times to around 10k rpms on start up and a bunch of times around 4k and it sounded mostly clean till it went to die out and made the fore mentioned noise. Not sure if its from the throttle bodies themselves or from the rear of the engine through the connecting boots, but its definitely in that area. Would anything fuel-wise make that clanking chugging noise if it was starving? Anyways, killed the battery so its back on a charger and I'm going to start dissecting the fuel system to clean it up.

Side note: I was spraying the starter fluid on the inside of the air filter. The air box started dripping this red oily substance. Any clues why?

Second note: Bike got to around 103°F. By now a good amount of water accumulated under the rear side of the exhaust near the swing arm side. It seemed to be dripping all the way from the connecting points up towards the muffler. What the?!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Update #7

Finally got around to pulling the injectors today. Everything seemed undisturbed and all the mark lines and own bolts accounted for. I got worried that I may be chasing ghost. When I got to the main injectors I found the gaskets had been messed with!

https://imgur.com/gallery/7phJ4

I'm taking them to go get cleaned now. There was some crud on the secondary injectors. Main look clean. I tried to start the bike a bunch of times naturally before taking it apart. Injectors seemed completely dry. After cleaning, I'm going to bolt the lines back together, hook up the fuel pump to preassurise the system and use a 9volt to test each spray.

If it looks all good, I'm just going to order the gaskets and hook it back up after cleaning. If they spray bad, I'm going to buy a new set. I'm going to clean out the tank too. Even though I put fresh gas in, the gas I drained removing the system was a murky yellow. Also, I found this brown gunk on top side and bottom side of the main injectors oriented when plugged in. So far I've found this hard brown gunk cooked on the fuel door, soft amber-like gunk under fuel tank on wires, dried goopy on the swing arm mount location, and now this. Also lots of bug parts everywhere. Maybe something got spilled on/in it which caused it originally to be parked?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
It was easy peasy pulling them. Just got them cleaned for $20, ultrasound for a couple hours. At least I can test and rule out. If it fails with the battery, I know where to go next, passes and still doesnt work plugged in, ill start wire hunting. I did see a little corrosion on the grey/blue main connectors on the dash connector side. One of them was even hard to get disconnected. Ill use the new found room to check a bunch of the other connectors and clean what I can! Who knows. Maybe cleaning everything is all it'll take.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just read this entire thread. I'm rooting for you OP.

All I can say is it sounds like it's for sure a fuel delivery problem. Hopefully cleaning out the injectors does the trick, but if not, I would start looking at your fuel pump and of course the wiring and all grounds :thumbup:.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Just read this entire thread. I'm rooting for you OP.

All I can say is it sounds like it's for sure a fuel delivery problem. Hopefully cleaning out the injectors does the trick, but if not, I would start looking at your fuel pump and of course the wiring and all grounds
Fer sure! Ya next test will be testing the injectors will be with an isolated power source with the fuel pump pressurizing the system. After that, ill be ebaying a harness!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Was the bike running before you bought it? Did or can you ask PO for previous mods or service done to it? Was there pc3 or similar fuel/air control there?

I see that the bike wasn’t running but was that the reason he sold it...

Did they do valve adjustment on the bike? If yes, who did it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Was the bike running before you bought it? Did or can you ask PO for previous mods or service done to it? Was there pc3 or similar fuel/air control there?

I see that the bike wasn?t running but was that the reason he sold it...

Did they do valve adjustment on the bike? If yes, who did it?
Previous owner claimed the the owner who had it before had it running as a daily. One day it didn't turn on. Parked it for a while, then sold it to the owner I bought it from. That owner claimed to have tested it and failed with no spark and that he now had it parked for a while. Quick test revealed that there was plenty enough on every coil. Not much information past that. Just been going through everything since. Bike is at 13.5k miles. Had aftermarket 05/06 fairings poorly modded onto this 2004, tip sensor bypassed, small dent on actual gas tank. I'm guessing it had at least one crash in its life. Definetly fuel delivery related at this point.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts