Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, my 2005 CBR-600RR just refused to start after sitting in a parking lot for about 15 minutes while I was running an errand. When I pressed the starter, the starter relay clicked once, but the starter didn't work. I walked to my office to scrounge tools, but when I got back to the bike two hours later, it started fine.

Then a couple days later, it wouldn't start when I was about to leave work. I verified the battery voltage (12.78-12.90 volts [gel battery]), and checked out the starter relay. The relay closed the circuit with the frame when I hit the starter, and the voltage was the same as the battery voltage, suggesting that the starter motor wasn't drawing any current. I ended up push starting the bike, which worked fine.

Since then, I have noticed that pushing the bike forward in top gear about 10 feet sometimes allows the starter motor to work normally.

I tried to take the starter motor out to take it apart and look for problems. I tried to do so without first taking apart the fuel and cooling systems, which still took all day. I finally got the starter motor unbolted, but it was still trapped in the bike by fuel and coolant hoses, so I verified all the electrical connections and re-installed it.

So, where do I go from here? I don't have a garage to leave the bike in overnight in a disassembled state, and it is my only transportation, so my options are limited. I will get two consecutive days off in about four weeks, so I might drain the cooling and fuel systems and pull the starter properly then. But are there other possibilities I'm missing?

I looked back over about two years of posts here, and saw about a dozen posts similar to mine. But not one of them posted a resolution!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I figured out the problem, I figured I would give you guys an update so at least one thread about this would get a resolution.

I pulled out the starter motor and as soon as I opened it up, loads of carbon dust fell out. What you see in the attached image is about half of the carbon in there - just what dumped out as soon as I opened it. The brushes looked to be about 60% worn down. I cleaned out both the loose carbon and the caked-on carbon from the whole starter and re-installed it, and the bike started perfectly.

Attachments

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Good job. I recently did the exact same procedure for a buddy's CBR 1000. There is another guy on here about to do the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
EWOkie,

Do you have access to a service manual? If not, PM me and I'll try to point you in the right direction to get one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you for this. I had a similar problem a year or so back with my 2005. I finally got a replacement (used) starter, put it on and my bike was starting again. Now, as of 3 weeks ago, the starting problems are back and exactly the same. I'll try opening the starter and giving it a little 'cleaning' to see if there is any junk in there. I'll post back with the results!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good news: I *think* this fixed my starter issue. Once I had the starter off and opened it up, a whole bunch of black carbon (or whatever it actually is) came out. I put the bike back together, tried to start it 3-4 times, and it turned over and started instantly.

Bad news: I broke a nipple/port off of a coolant/thermostat joint while trying to get to the starter bolt that is closest to the headlights. I've removed & replaced the starter last year with no problem, other than it being a real PITA. This time, once I broke that little nipple off (oops) the last bolt was much easier to access! With the nipple broke, I lost a lot of coolant, and need to replace this part and flush/re-fill the coolant. Here's a photo of what broke. Be extra careful if you folks want to remove the starter without taking off everything else, don't do what I did :retard:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue . i have replaced new starter motor , relay , still have the same problem. have you found the problem in your bike. if so please share. it would be very helpful

1 - 9 of 9 Posts