Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm helping a friend try to get his bike started again after his brother low sided it. They had it taken to a dealer after the wreck to get a quote on fixing the bike, but after it took the dealer 4 months to quote them $7k, they told them no and decided to take it back themselves to try to get it going.

Well, they dropped off the bike to my house and we noticed a parts were missing. The bike dropped on the right side, but it looks like the dealer took parts off of it and didn't give everything back. It was missing the bank angle sensor, all 3 relays on the left, and random fuses in the fuse box were gone. Other small bits were missing and when we contacted the dealer about it, they said it wasn't their fault and offered to sell us all the missing parts. We said screw it and decided we'd just go buy parts elsewhere.

So far...
+ Threw in 3 new relays
+ Replaced missing fuses
+ Checked for any burnt out fuses
+ Jumped the outside wires of the BAS for now (just to bypass)
+ Charged the battery

Here's what happens when I try to start it...
+ Everything lights up
+ Fuel pump primes
+ I hear a relay click on the left
+ Only the headlight goes off when pressing the engine start
+ No clicking noise at all

It's just silent when I press the engine start, I don't hear the starter click or anything. I haven't tried push starting it yet, but will when I get the chance. I want to test the starter, but I don't know how.

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check the fuses and relays behind ur battery. Y'all some passive folks, I'd have spoke with the manager and district manager about the missing parts within 24 hr Upon getting the bike back

·
Registered
55 Posts
Um, sorry to hear about that crappy situation... Have you checked the starter motor? Is it there? If it's there then it's probably not getting power. Trace it back to see what's missing/broken that's making it not get power. If it is getting power (you can check the voltage on the plug when you hit the start button), then it's safe to say your starter motor crapped out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Check the fuses and relays behind ur battery. Y'all some passive folks, I'd have spoke with the manager and district manager about the missing parts within 24 hr Upon getting the bike back
Thought I checked those fuses, but I'll double check once I get home. Should I hear any sort of clicking from the relay? Well, at first the supposed service manager told us to head down and show him what parts. When we went down there he said he'll order them for us. We call a few days later and someone tells us that the guy we talked to was fired and he never ordered us any parts. Figured we would probably constantly get the run around and just didn't feel like dealing with it.

Um, sorry to hear about that crappy situation... Have you checked the starter motor? Is it there? If it's there then it's probably not getting power. Trace it back to see what's missing/broken that's making it not get power. If it is getting power (you can check the voltage on the plug when you hit the start button), then it's safe to say your starter motor crapped out.
No idea where the starter motor is, could you point me in the right direction? How can I check the voltage coming from the start button?

has to be the tip over sensor in the front between the two headlights.. .if its missing . you can bypass that by splicing two of those wires together.
Already got that bypassed.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Does the neutral light come on?
Is the side stand switch there and plugged in? is it down?
Is the clutch switch still there?

Have you tried pulling the clutch in to start it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neutral light is on.
Kick stand switch is there and plugged in. It's a green connector at the end? I've tried with it down and up.
Clutch switch is there. Brake switch is missing, but that shouldn't matter should it?
I've tried pulling the clutch in to start with no luck.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Ok...

If you look at the left hand side of the bike, just behind the seat you will find a little yellow box taped up to the harness. This is the common ground point for the bike... just make sure that none of the pins in it are burnt...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Is this the connector that you're talking about? I disconnected it from the male end. It's just hanging onto the left side of the seat? All the pins look good to me.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Yep, that's the sucker... looks good to me to. How did the other side look? The same I guess...

Well, next thing I would look at is the starter switch itself... make sure the wires are all soldered on correctly and that the contacts are all in decent condition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, other end looks good too.

Starter switch looks good too. Wires are all on and soldered in. When I press the switch, the headlight goes out as well. When I release, the headlights come back on.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Follow the wiring down from the starter switch, there should be a (from memory) 9 pin connector where it joins onto the rest of the harness. I have seen that knocked loose before...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Well mate, essentially what you have to do is follow the power path to the starter relay and then it's ground path. Power is supplied through the start switch, the ground goes through the clutch switch, side stand switch, neutral switch and diodes.

All you have to do is find your loose connection or broken wire / part.

Do you have a service manual?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not sure if this applies to you, but I think it's something to keep in mind. There could be oil in the cylinders which is keeping the motor from turning over. Take the spark plugs out and tap the starter button. Also be sure that the battery is charged up. I had this problem with mine after I lowsided.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts