Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum. My brother in law picked up an 06 cbr600rr with 18kish miles in the fall and we've since noticed some issues I'm trying to help him fix. I've had a bunch of bikes over the years, first cbr I've wrenched on. Anyway its definetly been worked on previously, bunch of random custom stuff throughout not all done very well.

First issue noticed is after we changed the oil and he took it for a ride, saw a leak at the clutch arm on the case. I'm assuming the oil seal is bad but it wasnt leaking prior to the oil change. It had dropped down the case, I wiped it off. Looks like it requires the case to come off to access the bearings/seals?

Secondly a coolant leak developed in the area of the waterpump. Saw a small puddle on the ground in that area and saw coolant on the main big line going to the water pump. Havnt drained the system but is the next step to assess the condition of the hoses. I also found that 2 lines in that area as well just kind of fell off the bike when I started feeling around. Look like they hooked up somewhere under the tank area or just jammed up there more likely and were routed as drains/overflow to a spot under the waterpump area. Guessing someone had been in there previously and didnt actually hook them up with the way they just came out. Problem is I cant see where they go and havnt found a diagram to show those hoses.

Also found some wires that look cut and were stuffed in this same area, possibly went to the kickstand?

Has other issues like mismatched body hardware which is easy to replace. Rear tire went flat, airride loses pressure quickly. Has hookups for nitrous but no bottle on the bike. Had underglow poorly wired up I already removed. I'm finding more things the more I look. Just want to get it sorted out best I can for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
I also found that 2 lines in that area as well just kind of fell off the bike when I started feeling around. Look like they hooked up somewhere under the tank area or just jammed up there more likely and were routed as drains/overflow
The hoses are likely the fuel tank breather and fuel tank drain. They are somewhat difficult to reconnect to the bottom of the tank. It takes a little patience. Note below is from 2013 - 2017 manual so yours may be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That does make sense and was my only guess since they didnt look to be associated with the cooling system. Was odd how they just kind of came right out when I touched them. Not surprised with how much has been touched on this bike. Bummer the tank was topped off and stabilized for the winter so will be at its heaviest when I lift the tank to reconnect them. Shouldnt be too bad though. Found this from a downloaded manual, the lines should be an overflow and air vent line ill need to get access to the bottom of the tank to reattach.

Been a bit cold out in the garage so havnt messed with it much. My brother in law wont be riding it for a bit anyway so we have time to get all these things sorted out. Only thing I wont mess with is the rear suspension. Not sure where the leak is and I don't have the setup to get the bike in a position to remove those parts. He might have a shop swap in a stock shock with a lowering link to keep the stance he wants. I will get it jacked up to get the rear wheel off so he can get the tire brought to a shop and swapped out though.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts