Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those with non-US models and have the HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) equipped bikes and don't have a spare key you will probably want to get a spare key programmed as it can be a costly affair if you lose your only key.

Finally got around to doing this. I will outline my method briefly here for anyone else interested as it's slightly different for '05/'06 from the '03/'04 although the overall procedure is the same for all Honda motorcycles with HISS AFAIK until 2006 at least...

There is a video on Youtube of some Russian dude doing this procedure for his 2003 model. I followed his method and wasted my time as you have to get to the fuel tank, prop it up, and find the ignition pulse generator (crankshaft position sensor) near the engine bay somewhere which involves a lot of unnecessary removal and I didn't find it there...

This video gives the basic procedure:

For the 2006 model you just have to:

1) Remove the main right-hand side fairing
2) Remove the toolbox
3) Push aside the rubber flap waterproof thing
4) Locate the RED 2 pin connector
5) Disconnect it, note the colour of the wires

Coming out from the clutch side of the engine the wires should be YELLOW and YELLOW/WHITE. Going out of the male side connector it should be YELLOW and GREEN/ORANGE.

6) You will need to either make your own connection tool or use an expensive Honda tool for the programming. I made my own, and it only costs like $10 and takes a few minutes.
7) Connect one side of the tool to the ignition pulse generator (male side), then connect the other side to the battery.
8) Using your main key, now put it in the ignition and turn ON.

At this stage, the fuel pump should NOT prime and the HISS light should be a solid RED, no longer flashing.

9) Disconnect the POSITIVE terminal of the tool from the battery for more than 5 seconds.
10) Reconnect

The HISS light should now blink 4 times then it will stop for a second and blink again 4 times, this will keep repeating. Good!

11) Turn OFF the bike and remove your main key. Keep it far away from the bike, maybe a few feet away.
12) Take your spare key which is already cut and it should have a transponder chip ready to be programmed. Put that in and turn ON.

The HISS light should blink 4 times as above. Good. Repeat this process for more keys. I think only 4 keys at most can be registered.

13) Turn OFF
14) Disconnect the tool from the battery. Then disconnect it from the ignition pulse generator. Reconnect the original wiring for the ignition pulse generator.

Now test all your keys by trying to start the bike!

========================================

What you need to make the tool:

Alligator clips with wiring
100 ohm 1 Watt 5% tolerance resistor
0.15A (150mA) quick blow fuse
In-line fuse holder
2 pin mini connector -- if not mini female spade connectors should do
Electrical tape
Wire stripper

Connect it as above, make sure you use electrical tape to cover metallic connection points that's bare as you don't want anything shorting somewhere or coming loose.

If you use the female spade connectors as I did. Cover all of it with electrical tape except for just the tips, this is to make sure they don't short when you connect it inside the male ignition pulse generator clip.

MINI FEMALE SPADE CONNECTOR TOP VIEW

MINI FEMALE SPADE CONNECTOR INSULATION VIEW

100 ohm 1 WATT Resistor

In-line fuse holder with 150mA (0.15A) Fuse

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey mate, was wondering if you have any advice. I'm getting to step 8) with no trouble, but when I turn the ignition on, the HISS light isn't turning off and the fuel line is priming (i.e. the ignition is starting normally and the HISS isn't going into 'registration' mode).

I'm using my own tool. I'm pretty sure it's working well. I've tested it for continuity and the red cable is showing the correct resistance of 100 ohm. Here's an image of my connection just to check I'm not an idiot.

Any advice out there is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I had subscribed to my own thread as I had no idea you had replied to this. It's been a month now so I hope you've managed to sort it out?

Is the resistor you're using rated for 1 Watt? Also, are you using a fuse in-line with your tool? I had a fuse in mine and mine didn't initially work properly because the fuse holder didn't have proper connection continuity, once I fiddled with it a bit, it worked.

What year is your bike?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm new to 600rr's. Is the HISS an option? I have an 06 and it does not say HISS on the ignition. Plus, my key is partially missing the plastic part. I hope it doesn't have a chip in it that is needed for starting.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey mate, no it's not really an option as such. The US models do not have HISS for some reason that I'm not aware of. I guess if someone really wanted to steal your bike, they'll do it HISS or no HISS, but it will probably end up being costly as they won't be able to start it without spending some $$$$ to hack the ECU.

My dash also has a HISS light that blinks red every few seconds when the bike is turned off, I guess it lets me know that the ignition security is active.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good to know, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Have HISS on my '03 model. Ordered a black transponder key off eBay for $13AUD. Went to local locksmith, got it copied for $8.50AUD off original.

Swapped the transponder for now to the new key, because the original is 11 years old, worn and a little bent. Will eventually program it as a spare.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have HISS on my '03 model. Ordered a black transponder key off eBay for $13AUD. Went to local locksmith, got it copied for $8.50AUD off original.

Swapped the transponder for now to the new key, because the original is 11 years old, worn and a little bent. Will eventually program it as a spare.
I think your CKP sensor is somewhere near the bottom of the engine bay, there's a Russian video on Youtube of some guy doing the same on his 03/04. Let me know if that's not the case! Just out of interest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wish I had subscribed to my own thread as I had no idea you had replied to this. It's been a month now so I hope you've managed to sort it out?

Is the resistor you're using rated for 1 Watt? Also, are you using a fuse in-line with your tool? I had a fuse in mine and mine didn't initially work properly because the fuse holder didn't have proper connection continuity, once I fiddled with it a bit, it worked.

What year is your bike?
Thanks loads for the response - I hadn't seen you reply either!

My bike's a 2004 model - so the red connector is located under the fuel tank as in the Russian video (all the more frustrating that I couldn't get this to work once I pulled everything apart.).

I didn't bother with a fuse because I thought it would be more hassle than it's worth, and just relied on being careful not to short the wires. Resistor I used was a 100ohm 1 Watt 5% Carbon Film Resistor, so should be fine?

The only thing I can think of is that I'm not getting a good contact in red connector. I'm trying again this weekend with different connector heads.

Any ideas you might have would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing I can think of is that there's a short somewhere, are you absolutely sure that the way you have put that black and red wire in from your home made tool, that there's no short happening?

What does the ending leads of your home made tool look like, is it attached to a spade type connector or just loose wiring ends?

Check your PM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks loads for the extra info, got it working! I was just connecting to the wrong end of the crank position sensor cable.

My female spade connectors were too big to fit, so I used male spades and carefully taped them into place to make a contact.

I've now got two extra keys and can sleep easy that I won't end up costing myself a new ecu next time I lose keys on a night out. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahaha, I see it now in the picture you attached earlier yea...the yellow and white wires go to one end, and the other end is a yellow and green/orange I think, at least that's what it's on mine.

Good to hear you got it sorted, saved yourself a small fortune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys can a 2006 cbr600rr non hiss Ecu work with a Hiss wiring harness, I have also replaced the ignition to an aftermarket oem one??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts