Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07- http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4738000011.html
08- http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4814423692.html
---
09- No link, but it's at a dealer
================================
I'm looking for my next bike... here are my options. (see above)

Option 1
-5,400 miles
-$5,200 (talked him down on phone)
-owner claims is perfect condition
-Aesthetically my favorite motorcycle, I love the colors this year the most.
-2.5 hours away from my house

Option 2
-6k miles
-$5,500 (talked him down on phone)
-Owner says, mint except for scuff on engine cover
-I also love this color, not as much as the red though.
-2.5 hours away from my house

Option 3
-480 miles (yes, 480, not a typo)
-$7,000 (talked dealer down in person)
-Bike IS mint, looked it over for 15 minutes closely.
-20 minutes from my home

My thinking-

I think it's a tough choice between option 1 & 3.
My thinking is that option 3 is a dealer and comes with a warranty, also I've bought a bike from them before and know I can trust them. Bike is completely mint.

Option 1 however, is $1,800 less, I love the color scheme more this year than the 09 year. I am hesitant though because I don't want to travel 2.5 hours to see the bike and possibly be disappointed.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

I think I'm going to try and get the dealer down to $6,500 and if he will then i'll just go with him. If I cannot though then i'll swing for the 07.

Thanks in advanced,

also I do apologize for posting about the 09 before and now again here, When spending ~$7,000 I tend to think things over a lot and need other opinions.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Tough. I just went through taking many trips to see bikes that were in 'perfect' condition per the owner and left disappointed. I doubt you can beat the dealership option IF you can get it OTD for $6500 and the tires are sorted.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough. I just went through taking many trips to see bikes that were in 'perfect' condition per the owner and left disappointed. I doubt you can beat the dealership option IF you can get it OTD for $6500 and the tires are sorted.
Dealer's don't pay taxes and registry fees, for used bikes here.

I think the best deal I'll be able to get from the dealer is $6,500 without the tires sorted..

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I hate to say it but unless any of us has personally seen all of the bikes we are guessing as much as you are. In your previous thread we went over things to look at and you can go by that list for any used bike; only you know your budget and whether $1,800 is worth it for a newer bike with less miles and a 2.5 hour trip. Thing to keep in mind is a 600rr can be had anywhere at anytime at whatever price point and condition you want, they are literally a dime a dozen so be patient and the right one will pop up in your area.

On a purely personal note one thing I am VERY wary about, especially on "older" bikes, is aftermarket bodywork hiding crash damage, especially as a new guy trying to buy his first bike. Some of it is pretty nice nowadays and hard to spot even after spending time staring at it so I'd be asking the question if it's OEM or aftermarket bodywork.

Now unless you have complete faith in the PO or can pull panels off to look at the underside and know what you're looking for you are kind of guessing but take a flashlight and look behind, underneath, around, on the sides, anywhere not immediately seen that's easily cleaned to see if it all fits together. Lots of bikes look shiny from 5' away but look behind the bodywork and you'll see all sorts of filth, scratches and repair work. Also check the underside of the motor and exhaust pipes looking for scrapes, dents, repairs, etc. from people going over things and potentially damaging stuff.

I'd highly suggest any bije you are looking at be checked out by a dealer or shop since the $50-100 it will cost you can save you thousands down the road. If anyone private or any dealer hesitates fir you to do this WALK AWAY and don't look back. ANYTHING I sell I'd have zero problem having someone else check it out and they should too, even the dealer bike.

Mike

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to say it but unless any of us has personally seen all of the bikes we are guessing as much as you are. In your previous thread we went over things to look at and you can go by that list for any used bike; only you know your budget and whether $1,800 is worth it for a newer bike with less miles and a 2.5 hour trip. Thing to keep in mind is a 600rr can be had anywhere at anytime at whatever price point and condition you want, they are literally a dime a dozen so be patient and the right one will pop up in your area.

On a purely personal note one thing I am VERY wary about, especially on "older" bikes, is aftermarket bodywork hiding crash damage, especially as a new guy trying to buy his first bike. Some of it is pretty nice nowadays and hard to spot even after spending time staring at it so I'd be asking the question if it's OEM or aftermarket bodywork.

Now unless you have complete faith in the PO or can pull panels off to look at the underside and know what you're looking for you are kind of guessing but take a flashlight and look behind, underneath, around, on the sides, anywhere not immediately seen that's easily cleaned to see if it all fits together. Lots of bikes look shiny from 5' away but look behind the bodywork and you'll see all sorts of filth, scratches and repair work. Also check the underside of the motor and exhaust pipes looking for scrapes, dents, repairs, etc. from people going over things and potentially damaging stuff.

I'd highly suggest any bije you are looking at be checked out by a dealer or shop since the $50-100 it will cost you can save you thousands down the road. If anyone private or any dealer hesitates fir you to do this WALK AWAY and don't look back. ANYTHING I sell I'd have zero problem having someone else check it out and they should too, even the dealer bike.

Mike
Thanks Mike!

I have bought a few bikes from craigslist before and know what to look for. I have a pretty good eye for damage or anything of that nature, Honestly, if it has after market fairings and they look so close to oem I cannot even tell unless I remove them and look under, then i'm fine with that. It's only $5,000 I see chinese fairing cbr600rr's go for that price all the time and they usually have a lot more miles and look worse.

" Thing to keep in mind is a 600rr can be had anywhere at anytime at whatever price point and condition you want, they are literally a dime a dozen so be patient and the right one will pop up in your area"

Those are truly wise words, It is so difficult to remain patient sometimes though, but I agree 100% with you, during the winter months supply drops to non-existent but in the summer/spring they start to pop out of the wood work. I'm going to remain patient for some time but I don't think I can wait until spring lol, I know I should, but I cannot fight the urge for much longer.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Option 1 imo. Saves you 1800 it has low miles as is.. i doubt you would ever need a warrenty theres no much that goes wrong with theses bikes.. get the cheaper one and spend the extra on something else.. you can show up with cash and talk him down a little more

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll say option 3.

You've viewed it in person. Would be a piece of mind. Although you pay more, but hey, its a newer model with a very low mileage and it is really near your place!

Just my 2cs. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I vote for #1, cheaper and there is not much difference between 2007 and 2012 (trusting my memory for the year they made the big changes). More miles but unless you are going to put lots of miles on a bike then I'd go with the 2007 particularly if it's your fav color. You will probably change all the fluids anyway (I would) so tires are the only difference. Of course this assumes that they have been well maintained and stuff like the chain and sprockets are in good shape.

I bought my bike new and have put 12,000 miles on it in two years. Have thought a couple of times that I'd been as well off buying a used one with a few thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I vote for #1, cheaper and there is not much difference between 2007 and 2012 (trusting my memory for the year they made the big changes). More miles but unless you are going to put lots of miles on a bike then I'd go with the 2007 particularly if it's your fav color. You will probably change all the fluids anyway (I would) so tires are the only difference. Of course this assumes that they have been well maintained and stuff like the chain and sprockets are in good shape.

I bought my bike new and have put 12,000 miles on it in two years. Have thought a couple of times that I'd been as well off buying a used one with a few thousand miles on it.
It's kinda nice knowing you are the only owner though. I think the way to do it is to buy a left over bike, get a good deal while still being the original owner...

I agree with you. The extra $1,800 I save will come in handy for the mods I plan to do to it. I want to get that hyperflo exhaust, shortys, solo cowl, etc.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It's kinda nice knowing you are the only owner though. I think the way to do it is to buy a left over bike, get a good deal while still being the original owner...

I agree with you. The extra $1,800 I save will come in handy for the mods I plan to do to it. I want to get that hyperflo exhaust, shortys, solo cowl, etc.
Leftovers are a great deal, bought my '11 brand new spring of '13 for a solid price and am happy with it. But I wouldn't shy away from a one owner or even two if it's been maintained well. Personally I like mid-low mileage bikes but I'd rather buy higher mileage that's well cared for and stock over low or ultra low mileage units with questionable history.

As far as your mod list take a closer at both CL bikes you listed because #1 already has a fender eliminator, integrated tail light, flush mounts, a Two Bothers pipe and looks like some form of a headlight mod (might be homemade or Tripage) where both are on, on it already at first glance. Second bike has a stock fender and exhaust but flush mount signals and from your description the dealer bike is 100% stock factor all that in your decision.

If you are looking to add any of this stuff to your bike why not save a few $$$$'s and buy it already there? As long as it's quality and installed right it's a plus.

Personal note: don't buy the Hyperflo exhaust, they are nothing but obnoxious noisemakers and really do nothing but piss people off around you and hurt your bikes performance. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and buy a GOOD quality exhaust from the start with a "resonable" note and won't hurt your powerband: Akra, Arrow, Leo, Yosh are a few to look at. And if you want loud I'd suggest the aluminum TBR that's on the first bike (stay away from their carbon fiber). Stay away from the loud ass crap like Toce, Hyperflo, Big Gun, and anything with the word "growler" in its description, they do more harm than good.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Personal note: don't buy the Hyperflo exhaust, they are nothing but obnoxious noisemakers and really do nothing but piss people off around you and hurt your bikes performance. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and buy a GOOD quality exhaust from the start with a "resonable" note and won't hurt your powerband: Akra, Arrow, Leo, Yosh are a few to look at. And if you want loud I'd suggest the aluminum TBR that's on the first bike (stay away from their carbon fiber). Stay away from the loud ass crap like Toce, Hyperflo, Big Gun, and anything with the word "growler" in its description, they do more harm than good.
^^^ Words of wisdom right there ^^^

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leftovers are a great deal, bought my '11 brand new spring of '13 for a solid price and am happy with it. But I wouldn't shy away from a one owner or even two if it's been maintained well. Personally I like mid-low mileage bikes but I'd rather buy higher mileage that's well cared for and stock over low or ultra low mileage units with questionable history.

As far as your mod list take a closer at both CL bikes you listed because #1 already has a fender eliminator, integrated tail light, flush mounts, a Two Bothers pipe and looks like some form of a headlight mod (might be homemade or Tripage) where both are on, on it already at first glance. Second bike has a stock fender and exhaust but flush mount signals and from your description the dealer bike is 100% stock factor all that in your decision.

If you are looking to add any of this stuff to your bike why not save a few $$$$'s and buy it already there? As long as it's quality and installed right it's a plus.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike
I didn't even notice the headlight mod, wow you have a good eye.

I agree completely, I'm going to need to get a loan to buy the bike so that will take some time, etc. But I think I'm going to lean towards the option #1, like you said, It's cheaper, I like the looks better and it has a lot of the mods I want which will save me cash in the end..

I don't really care for noise so much, but I love the looks of the hyperflo, I mean you cannot deny that it looks sexy.

As for the loss in performance, I don't know. Again, this is a mod that I wouldn't do until later in the spring/summer. I am jumping from a 300 so I don't think I'll even really notice any power loss. lol, worse case scenario, I can buy a power commander or something of that nature. But we'll see. Everyone said I needed to tune my 300 after I got my slip on and it ended up running fine with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts