Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project overkill is about ready to get started. Doing a complete refresh on the 07 600RR. Engine has ported/polished head, thin head gasket, tweaked cam timing, etc. Suspension is Penske 8987 triple adjust shock and Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges. I will be installing Allballs Racing bearings, Annitori quickshifter, Antigravity lithium battery, Armour Bodies superbike race bodywork, BMC race filter, Core Moto brake lines, CRG levers, Dunlop Q4 tires, Driven fuel cap and smog block off plates, Dynojet PC5 with auto tune, Engine Ice Coolant, Galfer wave rotors and HH sintered pads, Hindle full exhaust, Motion Pro Rev 2 throttle, Motul fluids, Puig windscreen, Vortex rearsets, 520 chain conversion, and a variety of Woodcraft products (clip-ons, engine covers, lever guards, swingarm spools). If you are interested in these products or any others for your bike I can set you up with excellent pricing, honest advice and installation help. Figured I would post pictures of the progress if anyone is interested in following it.

·
Registered
2007 CBR600RR
50 Posts
Will be following this build closely. I'll be turning my 07 into a track bike over the winter months. Already have Core Moto brake lines, anti gravity battery, ECU flash, quick shifter, levers, and some more stuff. Particularly interested in install of Armour Bodies, clipons, rearsets, and some of the other items you listed. Would be happy to talk about pricing on some of these parts too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will be following this build closely. I'll be turning my 07 into a track bike over the winter months. Already have Core Moto brake lines, anti gravity battery, ECU flash, quick shifter, levers, and some more stuff. Particularly interested in install of Armour Bodies, clipons, rearsets, and some of the other items you listed. Would be happy to talk about pricing on some of these parts too.
Cool, sounds like you are off to a good start. I have made some progress but have very little free time at the shop the past couple weeks. So I am definitely behind on posting updates. I have been trying to take pictures along the way. So I'll post some pictures of the progress in the next few days. If there is any specific questions you have, or any specific detail you want to see let me know. You can call/text me at 216-712-1617 or email me at [email protected] if you want to talk about pricing on anything or get some suggestions on products.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a relatively current picture of how it sits now... Now that I have the wheels back from the powder coater I can start buttoning things up. I also mounted the Armour Bodies, it is at the painter now. I should have that back this weekend. The Suter slipper clutch arrived today. Since the pictures I received the Vortex chain/sprockets and Galfer rotors/brake pads. I also got the Hindle header. The muffler should be here next week, that is going to be the last part to arrive. My target is having it ready for a track day on Sept 19th, but I haven't been able to work on it nearly as much as I intended the past couple weeks. So if it keeps going like that, not sure I'll make it in time. I also picked up an 09 600RR race bike Sunday night with alot of nice aftermarket parts (Ohlins cartridges, Ohlins shock, Leo Vince full exhaust, Power Commander V and quick shifter, GPR damper, Vortex rearsets, Woodcraft clip-ons, 2 sets of race bodywork, etc) I am leaning towards leaving it in tact for another month or two until this bike is finished and shaken down. Then I will probably part it out.

·
Registered
2007 CBR600RR
50 Posts
That is a relatively current picture of how it sits now... Now that I have the wheels back from the powder coater I can start buttoning things up. I also mounted the Armour Bodies, it is at the painter now. I should have that back this weekend. The Suter slipper clutch arrived today. Since the pictures I received the Vortex chain/sprockets and Galfer rotors/brake pads. I also got the Hindle header. The muffler should be here next week, that is going to be the last part to arrive. My target is having it ready for a track day on Sept 19th, but I haven't been able to work on it nearly as much as I intended the past couple weeks. So if it keeps going like that, not sure I'll make it in time. I also picked up an 09 600RR race bike Sunday night with alot of nice aftermarket parts (Ohlins cartridges, Ohlins shock, Leo Vince full exhaust, Power Commander V and quick shifter, GPR damper, Vortex rearsets, Woodcraft clip-ons, 2 sets of race bodywork, etc) I am leaning towards leaving it in tact for another month or two until this bike is finished and shaken down. Then I will probably part it out.
Loving the green wheels! I have so many questions:

1. What was your deciding factor in going with woodcraft clip-ons vs other companies like driven racing?
  2. Whats your honest review of the motion pro Rev2? I've replaced my throttle cables before so I know what all is involved in installing the part, but guess I'm looking for whether the part is worth the breakdown needed to install it.
  3. For the GPR steering damper, is it really that much more effective than the stock Honda one? When you decide to do the GPR dampener, are you removing the HESD or just have both?
When/if you decide to part out the new race bike, let me know first LOL!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loving the green wheels!
Thanks, I am real happy with how they came out, the pictures don't do them justice. I had F'It Powder Coating in Buford GA do them. It was my first time using them but have seen their name come up many times over the years on this forum and other CBR related groups. I am the type of person that would rather buy the tools and do it myself then pay someone. I actually have all the equipment to powder coat myself. But for the amount of work it is and for what they charge I thought it just made sense to have them do it.

I have so many questions:
What was your deciding factor in going with woodcraft clip-ons vs other companies like driven racing?
Some of the brands I am dealer for that sell clip-ons are Woodcraft, Driven and Vortex. I have used a lot of Woodcraft products, I think they are a nice balance of quality and price. One of the main draws with the Woodcraft was I could get a 1.5" rise in a track/race style clip-on. I have a lower back injury from a racing accident years ago, so to even be able to tolerate riding the bike I need to relax my riding position more than what is common in a track situation. The Driven are nice too. If anything their finish is a little better than the Woodcraft. But they are also typically more expensive too. So I personally have a hard time justifying the extra cost.

Whats your honest review of the motion pro Rev2? I've replaced my throttle cables before so I know what all is involved in installing the part, but guess I'm looking for whether the part is worth the breakdown needed to install it.
This is my first bike with the Rev 2 throttle. On previous 600rr's I just replaced the throttle tube to quicken the throttle. In theory, I like the idea of being able to easily/quickly change the throttle curve by just swapping the reel. But honestly, I could see that being something where you pick one during install and never change it too. I went with their road race reel to start. I haven't ridden the bike yet. So I guess the bottom line, I chose the Rev 2 because I wanted a quick throttle and thought it was a cool product. If I end up changing the reels periodically I would think it was 100% worth it. If I just stick with the one reel, there are cheaper/quicker ways to accomplish the same thing. Install wasn't that bad though. I already had the bike torn down some, so that helped. But it took less than 1/2 hour for me to install.

For the GPR steering damper, is it really that much more effective than the stock Honda one? When you decide to do the GPR dampener, are you removing the HESD or just have both?
It really just depends on your skill level, preferred feel, and specific track could come into play as well. The stock Honda damper is electronically controlled and based on speed, so it is progressive. The main drawback is it doesn't always provide enough damping at lower speeds for some conditions you could encounter on the track. Other people upgrade to a GPR or similar unit simply because they don't want the ECU determining how and when to apply dampening, they just want it there all the time. I personally like having control over the damping instead of relying on the ECU. But at my skill level and the track I normally ride the OEM unit is sufficient. I inadvertently got the answer to the 2nd part of your question last week. You will get an error light if you remove the OEM damper and don't plug in a resistor harness in place of the OEM damper. So I asked GPR if the kit for the 07+ 600rr comes with the resistor harness (it does). Their response was you can leave the OEM damper in place and add on the GPR unit. They really only suggested that for street riding. For track/race they recommend removing the OEM damper. So you could leave both in place if you want, but personally I think you are better off removing the OEM unit if you upgrade to the GPR.

When/if you decide to part out the new race bike, let me know first LOL!
I have been toying with the idea of keeping it for a backup/rain bike. But for as often I get to the track it is overkill to take a backup, let alone equipped as well as that one. I am going to try to get 2 track days in this year. Since my other bike was torn down so far it needs a good shake down. So figured it wouldn't hurt to have a backup bike there for the first 2 track days in case any issues came up I couldn't fix immediately. So I was leaning towards leaving it in tact to do that. But honestly that is overkill too. So if there is anything you want or need now, just let me know. Do want to commit 100% to selling off parts yet, but there is a reasonable chance I would.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a few more things taken care of my 07 600RR project (some of it was finished after these pictures were taken). Brakes are finished. I went with Galfer floating wave rotors on the front and Galfer wave rotor for the year. I used Galfer HH sintered pads, Core Moto brake lines and Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. I also upgraded to Core Moto’s stainless pre-drilled banjo bolts. I also swapped out the chain and sprockets. I went with Vortex steel sprockets 15T Front /44T Rear (-1F/+2R) and their 520 RRX3 Road Race chain. I also installed the Hindle header and mid-pipe as well as the Dynojet PC V autotune 02 sensor. The Hindle header is very lightweight and I am real happy with the quality on it. You can also see the Woodcraft case covers and swingarm spools in the pictures. I decided to go with a Suter Slipper Clutch, started installing that but am waiting on a clutch holding tool to show up to finish. I should have my Armour Bodies back from the painter within the next couple days. So I should be able to have the project wrapped up by the end of the weekend. Let me know if you have any questions about these products or how to install them. I am a authorized dealer for all the brands I am using so if you see something you want to add on your bike let me know and I’ll set you up with a good price.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It finally feels like I am close to wrapping the project up. I installed the Suter Slipper clutch this morning. My buddy finished painting the Armour Bodies last night. I’ll be able to dedicate time this weekend to button it up. I need to fill it with oil, swap the coolant, install the bodywork and make some decals. Last item will be installing the Hindle carbon fiber muffler. It shipped yesterday but most likely won’t arrive until Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts