Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this avoid from water going in my engine, since it has a great airduct right in front of the bike and on top of its sucking, wouldnt it get excessive water in the engine in heavy rainy weather ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
How does this avoid from water going in my engine, since it has a great airduct right in front of the bike and on top of its sucking, wouldnt it get excessive water in the engine in heavy rainy weather ?
there are drain holes in the intake and the air box

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Honda Engineers are smart people,,, I am sure they have done testing in very heavy simulated rain fall,, with the rain fall comming from all directions,, and even testing in actual rain fall,,

It is honda, have faith

I do admit, I thought about it,, then I just figured that they have got that sorted,

But I never ride in the rain

·
Registered
180 Posts
First you have the baffle which traps heavy things like rocks and sometimes bugs (i found a bee in mine), this redirects much of the water. Next you have the curvature of the airducts which is slightly vertical to which helps. next you have the drain holes in the airbox like speedeRR said. I've been riding in the rain for years (never had a car and have lived in very dam cities) and haven't had any issues with rain getting into my engine.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Some moisture in the rain is good, with the moisture running through the engine (the colded the better ) helps free up carbon deposits on valves and pistons so they flow through the engine and blow right out. You air box should have weep holes to allow any excess to leak out.

Mine runs like a dream in the rain with a gutted intake.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im guessing changing out my airfilter to a K&N filter shouldnt have any effects on the water since it is all about the airduct dumping water out

D

·
0 Posts
im guessing changing out my airfilter to a K&N filter shouldnt have any effects on the water since it is all about the airduct dumping water out
Go with a BMC filter instead of K&N. K&N airfilters allow too much trash through.

Also, there are no drains for water in the intake or airbox. There isn't a need for a drain since that much water will not get sucked in.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i have rode my in torrential downpours. unless you spray pressurized water straight into the intake you will be fine

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ever since I got my RR ( 2 weeks old), I've been riding in a rain for almost every day...from drizzlings to heavy down pour

I had thought bout this also but when I realised I'm sitting on a Honda...it took away my doubtful...its a great machine

Anyway..Thanks to the technical info...good stuff

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i wondered the same thing last season. I rode in some pretty terrible rain, and was thinking about that. i had no problems in storms and all that. just that i get some steam coming from my ront end. i was thinking this is normal due to the radiator? smelled like popcorn!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hahaha me too...could be the radiator or the exhaust manifold boiling the water

·
Registered
383 Posts
You got no worries. I hit 135mph in a horrid thunderstorm at night on an open road. If any water got in it had no affect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
completely gutted intake with resonators blocked off. i have ridden in the rain more than a few times with no issues. there are a couple drain holes in the intake tube on the bottom, just like every stock intake system made by honda...

in fact i just looked at my filter for the second or third time in 4k miles and still nothing major stuck on/in the filter...

·
Registered
191 Posts
So has ANYONE experienced ANY problems with a gutted intake on these bikes? I'm not really worried about debris or water because that is what the grill and filter are for. My bike is completely stock and the only mods I would do would be gutting the intake and a slip-on in a few months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have yet to, honestly i wouldnt worry about it, but i would just try not to ride in wet conditions... i kind of worrieed when i washed my bike, but i took her for a quick drying down ride thru my subdivision and nothing bad happened so im assuming that its fine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts