Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the cbr world, but not new to motorcycles and my cbr has the most random fuel milage ever. When I got it I averaged 140 miles to a tank and recently I have only been getting around 60 miles out of 3 gallons. Any tips on what could be causing this? I figure I will start with the basics of plugs and air filter. But could it be something that needs to be tuned? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
236 Posts
60 miles out of 3 gallons? something is wrong unless you dont get off like 14,000 rpm...
try also tire pressure in addition to what you mentioned, and check it out, otherwise idk somethings off

does it sound weird? does it smell rich(the exhaust) ? etc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the bike with 12000 miles so there was no break in period for me. For the first 10 tanks of gas I averaged around 140 miles per tank with riding moderately hard on back roads and some highway. Recently I have been only riding to and from work/ school, mainly on the highway and I average around 60-80 miles per tank.

It runs fine with no engine lights but does smell a bit rich from time to time. I thought that was caused by an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the help guyd. Im going to check the tire pressure when I get home tonight. It should be 32psi front and 42 rear..correct?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I appreciate the help guyd. Im going to check the tire pressure when I get home tonight. It should be 32psi front and 42 rear..correct?

According to the 2007 Honda CBR600RR Owner's Manual page 136:

36 psi front
42 psi back

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I don't know many people who run the "recommended" pressure. I personally run 32-34 front and 36 rear

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yoshi carbon exhaust. Just slip on. No power commander and I havent looked at my air filter yet. and my tire pressure was 34 front and 42 rear.

·
Registered
479 Posts
36 front and 42 back. I don't get why you guys don't follow the manual unless your following a manufacture's recommendation. I also don't get why many people are buying into using different oil weights. "Well it depends on temperature outside and how hard you ride it"- as one would say. No matter how hot/cold it is outside or how hard you ride , your bike runs 170-220F.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
36 front and 42 back. I don't get why you guys don't follow the manual unless your following a manufacture's recommendation. I also don't get why many people are buying into using different oil weights. "Well it depends on temperature outside and how hard you ride it"- as one would say. No matter how hot/cold it is outside or how hard you ride , your bike runs 170-220F.
170-220F? You know your oil temps?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
No I do not. I am guessing that your saying your oil temperature has no direct relationship with your engine (coolant) temperature? and that the weather has more of an affect on your oil temperature than your engine (coolant) temperature?
I'm not saying anything. You're the one that said oil weights were irrelevant due to the fact your bike always runs 170-220F. So I was asking how you know this...

But we move away from the main topic.

Op, I doubt having your rear wheel at 42 is going to eat your gas mileage that bad. Try lowering it to 34-36 and see if there is a major change.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive been messing around with tire pressure and it has little to no effect on gas usage. My next step is checking air filter and plugs. im guessing its one or both of those since I have noticed recently that its getting more and more sluggish on the low end.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hmmm... I usually get 28-30 mpg around town and 30-33 mpg highway; and I've had engine work done, gearing changed (-1/+2) and have a custom Bazzaz mapping. If you're getting 20 with a stock or near stock bike, then I would take it to the dealership and let them know. I'm not sure you can attribute that much of an mpg difference to tyre pressure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts