Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just noticed that my bike’s front fork has some oil leaks. I’m looking to rebuild it myself, I have special tools like seal driver and spring spacer compressor, but I’m not sure the proper way to rebuild it, the shops around me want to charge me around 400 to 500 bucks to rebuild it. And that sounds a lot for me when I can just do it myself. I’ve seen a lot of videos on youtube (like gsxr and r6 upside down fork) how to rebuild it. Has the 07 CBR’s upside down fork the same parts diagram just like other bike’s upside down fork?

thank you!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
First, unless your seal is pouring out oil, buy a Sealmate for around $5 and use it. For me this fixes 3 out of 4 weeping fork seals.

If too much oil has been lost then step by step instructions are in the service manual for this replacing a seal and new oil.

Rebuilding a fork is much more involved (replacement parts wise) than replacing a fork seal. To replace forks seals my local shops charges $62 per fork if I bring them the fork. Plus price of seal and oil.

If they take the forks off they'll charge the hourly labor rate but taking them off isn't difficult. You will need to have a way to support the bike while the forks are off of course.

Here's a link to the parts of your fork:

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I had the same issue a couple of years ago. Watched a bunch of youtube videos, but still did not feel really confident about it. I just started tearing into it and kept note of which order everything went in. It all went back together fine and no issues since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay okay! I’ll maybe do the same as you did taking notes or taking pictures. I always do DIY and sometimes feel not too confident about it but it somehow works perfectly everytime I do haha. But thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the same boat. I bought a seal mate but ended up using a feeler gauge. It worked a bit at first. And I just kept flossing the seal and noticed a big difference. I probably tried it 20 times no lie. It got better and better. Eventually the leak stopped and it’s been dry for 3K miles. I’ve been told by a guy I trust that it works EVERY TIME.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried flossing it more than 20 times too. And I didn’t work. I guess the previous owner must have done bad wheelies on this bike. But everything is good now, I got the fork seal kits and looking forward to change them on monday!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in the same boat. I bought a seal mate but ended up using a feeler gauge. It worked a bit at first. And I just kept flossing the seal and noticed a big difference. I probably tried it 20 times no lie. It got better and better. Eventually the leak stopped and it’s been dry for 3K miles. I’ve been told by a guy I trust that it works EVERY TIME.
I tried flossing it more than 20 times too. And I didn’t work. I guess the previous owner must have done bad wheelies on this bike. But everything is good now, I got the fork seal kits and looking forward to change them on monday!

·
Registered
15 CBR600RR
11 Posts
First, unless your seal is pouring out oil, buy a Sealmate for around $5 and use it. For me this fixes 3 out of 4 weeping fork seals.

If too much oil has been lost then step by step instructions are in the service manual for this replacing a seal and new oil.

Rebuilding a fork is much more involved (replacement parts wise) than replacing a fork seal. To replace forks seals my local shops charges $62 per fork if I bring them the fork. Plus price of seal and oil.

If they take the forks off they'll charge the hourly labor rate but taking them off isn't difficult. You will need to have a way to support the bike while the forks are off of course.

Here's a link to the parts of your fork:

Exactly what I was going to suggest. After a wheelie practice session, my left fork started leaking, it was enough oil to fully coat the lower fork where the axle bolt goes thru. I didn't want to wait the week for a seal doctor to be delivered, so i made a seatmate out of a plastic bottle. After a few swipes around the tube, the leak was fixed. That was about about 6months ago. I haven't had an issue with it since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts