Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my bike as my daily transport, so i do a lot of riding (city) and need something thats comfier than the rest, and which will do long miles ( i take care of my vehicles very well). If the price is pretty much the same, which would you say is better? and try not to be so biased.|

Personally, the R6S looks sexier, and has right side forks which is better, and weight wise theyre both the same, but the CBR has an electronic damper, and some newer touches technology wise.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have ridden both and hands down the cbr is better for street. The power band is much smoother and the cbr has a better low end (both 07 models). The cbr also has a much more comfortable seating position. The R6 has a very aggressive seating and was uncomfortable when i rode it The R6 has most of it's power at the top, and to me it felt anemic compared to the cbr. hope this helps. Personality my favorite street bike is still the sv650 if strictly for street use only. I was able to get 55 mpg highway with it and it was far more comfortable than the supersports.

D

·
0 Posts
If you want comfort, a sport bike isn't for you. R6S forks are conventional damping rod forks, which are nowhere even near half of the performance of those on the 600RR. Damping rod forks = fail.

Go to a dealer and sit on a few bikes, and get which ever one you like best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ridden both and hands down the cbr is better for street. The power band is much smoother and the cbr has a better low end (both 07 models). The cbr also has a much more comfortable seating position. The R6 has a very aggressive seating and was uncomfortable when i rode it The R6 has most of it's power at the top, and to me it felt anemic compared to the cbr. hope this helps. Personality my favorite street bike is still the sv650 if strictly for street use only. I was able to get 55 mpg highway with it and it was far more comfortable than the supersports.
R6S, not R6. And i rode the SV650, it was horrible, just like the gixxer. The R6S and CBR600RR felt the most right out of all, i did sit on them. I never got the chance to take em for a spin tho, so don't know how they ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want comfort, a sport bike isn't for you. R6S forks are conventional damping rod forks, which are nowhere even near half of the performance of those on the 600RR. Damping rod forks = fail.

Go to a dealer and sit on a few bikes, and get which ever one you like best.
But the forks should last a longer than the upside down forks on the CBR since those tend to leek and have to be changed around every 20k miles or less.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
whether the fork is inverted or conventional will have no effect on how long it lasts.
inverted forks are better in every way than conventional, tho they are harder to service as they are more complex.
your suspension should be overhauled every 2 years of street riding anyway.

if you want a comfotable sporty bike that you can do long rides on, look at the older Yamaha FZ6 or the Honda 599. both are great bikes and you can still carve up the twisties on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whether the fork is inverted or conventional will have no effect on how long it lasts.
inverted forks are better in every way than conventional, tho they are harder to service as they are more complex.
your suspension should be overhauled every 2 years of street riding anyway.

if you want a comfotable sporty bike that you can do long rides on, look at the older Yamaha FZ6 or the Honda 599. both are great bikes and you can still carve up the twisties on them.
Not interested in those bikes, ive seen them all. The FZ6 was really unattractive for me. As is ive done close to 5k miles on my 06 Ninja 250 in just half a year, inlcuding highway with a rock hard seat, so the CBR and R6S dont seem that bad to me. The Gixxer just had a very wide seat that made it uncomfortable for me, even tho im 6 feet and 175lb, i preffer narrower bikes because of my figure.

D

·
0 Posts
But the forks should last a longer than the upside down forks on the CBR since those tend to leek and have to be changed around every 20k miles or less.
All styles of forks will leak at the seals eventually. Inverted, right side up damping rod, even double cartridge forks will leak. It's all a matter of maintenance, not which is better.

Conventional forks suck ass in the actual damping department. There is nothing to separate compression damping from rebound. No high speed or low speed damping. You get stuck with forks that are both extremely mushy and very harsh, leading to a crappy ride, bad tire wear, and lack of traction.
Only way around that is to install emulators, but even then that doesn't solve the problem completely or give the same range of tuneability and adjustment.
Conventional forks are also very prone to developing air bubbles in the fluid when compressing or rebounding due to the lack of control and separation between compression and rebound. Air in fluid = bad.

For the headache that inverted cartridge forks are to service, they're worth the trouble.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Make a list of what YOU want from your bike and what you plan to do with it. It sounds like (from your first post) that you want a comfortable commuter bike first and no mention of track days or riding canyons. If that's the case, I would also suggest the SV650 as it is MUCH more comfortable to commute with than a supersport with more relaxed ergonomics and a very forgiving powerband.

However, if I needed to make a decision on either the 2007 R6S or the 2007 CBR600rr for commuting...it would come down to whichever one I was more comfortable on (i.e. sit on both to decide). Superior suspension components and electronic gadgets mean very little when you spend a lot of time at stoplights or cruising at 35mph.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've owned both and hands down pick the CBR for all around performance. I've had the R6 and R6S and they both were horrible for the street although the power band on the S was more user friendly.

The CBR is as comfortable as the S but way more versatile in my book.

You are getting more for your money with the CBR than the S. The S is just a watered down R6 with crappy suspension, crappy exhaust crappy brakes, crappy clutch...need I go on.

D

·
0 Posts
CBR hands down. The CBR will provide you very smooth power band. Also the HESD is very helpful for city riding. I have not ridden a R6s, but R6 was not comfortable at all. But, if you intend to go for some track riding I will suggest a R6.
The HESD is hardly ever used in any type of city riding. Low speeds and nearly closed throttles are barely in it's activation range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Friend has an R6 and when I test rode it I fealt like it was more aggresive, less forgiving on the turns too. I was less comfortable, I'm 6'2" and I could see it actually being more comfortable for a shorter person, I personally prefer my 600rr.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe check out a F4i? The good looking ones (03 and under) with out the banana seat are a little old but i had one before my RR and loved it. Seating position was more comfortable and still a great looking bike in my opinion. But between the two options you mentioned definitely go for the RR not a fan of the R6s

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why did you post this thread? It seems like you already made up your mind. You ask people their opinion then argue why you want the R6S. Ride both of them and pick which one you like its that simple.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why did you post this thread? It seems like you already made up your mind. You ask people their opinion then argue why you want the R6S. Ride both of them and pick which one you like its that simple.
I havent quite made up my mind, I was going for the CBR at first, then the R6S, then CBR. And I wish i could ride both, but no one will let you ride it without cash in your hand. The CBR looks like the clear winner though.

C

·
0 Posts
i say cbr i have done 25000 miles in a year and no complaints on either the street or highway very comfortable and not so aggressive as the r6

1 - 17 of 17 Posts