Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and just picked up this 07 track bike! Totaled my 02 R6 last week at Road America so I was looking to get into something newer, fuel injected, yada yada. Can't wait to get on it, it has Galfer pads and lines, Vortex clip ons and levers, a Bazzaz fuel controller, Two Brothers slip on.

What do I need to know about my CBR? First one ever.

·
Registered
81 Posts
New to the forum and just picked up this 07 track bike! Totaled my 02 R6 last week at Road America so I was looking to get into something newer, fuel injected, yada yada. Can't wait to get on it, it has Galfer pads and lines, Vortex clip ons and levers, a Bazzaz fuel controller, Two Brothers slip on.

Nothing useful to add except my honda has been bullet proof, but what kind of carrier is that ... is it stable?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
That's a clean looking bike. I race an 08. Been on it for 2yrs now. Bunch of my buddies race 07+ CBRs too.

If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks LDN.

Flashpoint, I bought that carrier on ebay from the seller titanattachments for $180. It arrived badly beat up from poor packaging. I kind of expected that considering the price I paid. That said, it is VERY sturdy. Taken it to a few track days now and it's been very easy to use. Glad I bought it.

When I picked up that CBR it was an hour and 45 minute drive one way, the bike didn't budge all the way back.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I've got a friend that transports his on the same thing. He's had it for a while without any issues.

BTW which corner did you total your other bike at RA?

·
Registered
145 Posts
When people say these bikes are really just race bikes for the street, they often don't know how correct they are. I have been running mine at the track since I picked it up new in '07, have around 20,000 track miles on it right now and have not had one problem. With proper maintenance these things will last forever.

If I had to do it all over again, the first "track" modification I would have done would have been a slipper clutch. Sure the light weight OZ wheels changed the way the bike handled, along with the Öhlins and the Brembo parts, but the Yoyodyne slipper allowed me to enjoy the track more than anything else.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice looking bike - I have an 08 track bike and love it. 03WisconsinRR gave me a few pointers on additional track upgrades for the fairing stay and keyless mod after my Road America crash on July 3rd.

·
Registered
228 Posts

That it will always run while all the gsxr owners are in the pits fixing something :crackup:Mine is an 05 and it's kind of a PITA to work on. I have to remove my headers just to change the oil filter but that's probably just the Micron system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have an 07, that in time and funding pending, will become a full blown track bike. I love it around the track, the only time my bud could pull a gap on me on his S1000RR on was the straights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW which corner did you total your other bike at RA?
Turn 1. I think I was a bit off the race line and went straight through that bump there, while I was accelerating. Upset the suspension and the rear tire washed out. Frame sliders turned a simple low side into a nasty high side tumble for the bike. Cracked frame, rashed forks, bent rims, that's only the beginning of the damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When people say these bikes are really just race bikes for the street, they often don't know how correct they are. I have been running mine at the track since I picked it up new in '07, have around 20,000 track miles on it right now and have not had one problem. With proper maintenance these things will last forever.

If I had to do it all over again, the first "track" modification I would have done would have been a slipper clutch. Sure the light weight OZ wheels changed the way the bike handled, along with the Öhlins and the Brembo parts, but the Yoyodyne slipper allowed me to enjoy the track more than anything else.
I would love to get a slipper for it. That may be my second modification to it, after getting proper springs for my weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice looking bike - I have an 08 track bike and love it. 03WisconsinRR gave me a few pointers on additional track upgrades for the fairing stay and keyless mod after my Road America crash on July 3rd.
Is your name Scott? If so, I think I met you at BHF earlier in the year. I showed up there with a Ducati Monster with my friend Steve. Also had it at ACC.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is your name Scott? If so, I think I met you at BHF earlier in the year. I showed up there with a Ducati Monster with my friend Steve. Also had it at ACC.
That's me. Sorry to hear about the R1. I have some work to do after my RA crash but thankfully everything appears fixable. I just had surgery to get some pins in my hand last week so I haven't even torn my bike down yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's me. Sorry to hear about the R1. I have some work to do after my RA crash but thankfully everything appears fixable. I just had surgery to get some pins in my hand last week so I haven't even torn my bike down yet.
Yeah Steve said he thought you broke your hand, that sucks man.

I broke my big toe in my crash, obviously not ideal for riding a motorcycle. I'll be out for a few weeks as well.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Frame sliders turned a simple low side into a nasty high side tumble for the bike. Cracked frame, rashed forks, bent rims, that's only the beginning of the damage.
Which is why I turn people away from frame sliders now, unless they're brand new and prone to tipovers. Case guards are the way to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which is why I turn people away from frame sliders now, unless they're brand new and prone to tipovers. Case guards are the way to go.
Yep, I'm now the poster-child for that argument. Investing in some Woodcrafts as soon as I get the coin.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Case guards, axle and bar end sliders are the only way to go if you are on the track. I am also a huge advocate for folding levers and foot pegs as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had very good luck with my woodcraft frame sliders. They stick out less than 2 inches all together. Definitely did their job when I lowsided at the track. Good example of how far they stick out:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I think some like that would probably be fine. The ones I had on the R6 were at least 5 inches long and made of aluminum. Should have taken them off right when I got the thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had very good luck with my woodcraft frame sliders. They stick out less than 2 inches all together. Definitely did their job when I lowsided at the track. Good example of how far they stick out:
Mine stick out less than that, My woodcrafts are so short its insane. I'm still temped to take them off and just patch my track work holes I cut. I've got case sliders on there... With the 09 body work it covers the whole motor.. :gun1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts