Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Man, I was hoping you didn't get screwed; oh well, the mirrors are still worth the extra cost in my opinion.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Hey guys just checking in on everyone good to see everyone still trying this haha. Just wanted to up date that i will soon be removing my gap im not sure which way im going to do it yet. I can dremel it or get a foam rubber gizmo to fit in there but ill see which i think is better when i start to look at her more...

P.S. If anyone needs help or pointers or anything at all please feel free to contact me ill be more than happy to help if i can

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Regarding the protons, after I tapped into the current wires, the protons can no longer be programmed to flash quicker. Anyone have any ideas how I can fix that?

I thought about putting a piece of foam to fill in the gap. Simliar to what you will see for air conditioning insulation used to put in windows. Picked it up from Home Depot but haven't gotten around to putting it on. Let you know when I do.

I've gotten my mirrors up by tap splicing into the current wires. The only difference I did, was that I'm connecting the wires with the quick release in the actual mirror so I won't have to take my front fairing off to remove my mirror if I chose to do a track day. So I will first have to unscrew the mirror and split it apart then remove disconnect it, then remove the mirror.

I also drill pressed the front screw out and put a regular screw in so I don't have to twist the mirror on and off. I'm not sure how you other guys were able to put the mirror on with the wire going through it, seems everytime the wires would get tied up with the mirror. The only pictures I have are from a camera phone. Get better ones soon.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I can't answer on the issue with your protons as i have never worked with them.

As for the issue you're describing with the wires binding when you fold the mirror in, I have not had any problems in that area. Currently, my mirrors are hard wired in; I bought some plugs to put into the wiring for future removeal, however, the plugs were too big to be used as they wouldn't fit through the hole for the mirrors so if I ever remove the mirrors the wires will have to be clipped and I will have to install a plug at that time (I'm just waiting to find a small 3 or 4 pin plug to use).

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
^^^ yup..I have that problem too..the plug is too big to fit through the whole. I also have protons mounted for sideways visibility..no flashing issues here.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, it's more than "just mirrors." Think of it as an investment in safety as it is turn signals, running lights, and mirrors combined. The mirrors are larger and farther out than the stock '07/08 mirrors so you have increased visibility behind you. They have running lights high off of the ground increasing your visibility to other drivers. The turn signals are larger than stock, bright as hell, and high up off the ground further increasing your visibility to other drivers. When you put it all together, the $300 investment is actually not that bad. Additionally, compare to buying a set of stock mirrors which are ~$50/ea therefore total of $100 just on the mirrors which is a third of the cost. Now, buy the '07/08 stock front turn signals, after all of the parts they run ~73/ea for a total of ~$146 bringing everything to $246+shipping for brand new stock parts. Aftermarket turn signals may be cheaper depending on where you go and you don't generally have the running light feature. Anyhow, my point is that you are only spending a fraction more on these mirrors than you would for stock replacement parts for everything which is more than a reasonable investment into your safety. And, I didn't even cover the fact that they look pretty damn good, are easier to use/manipulate than stock mirrors, and fold in easily; also a very good thing to have IMO. Now, I agree that they are not for everyone and you can accomplish the same thing with used GSX-R mirrors (which don't look as nice to me) or aftermarket alternatives but this is how I made economic sense of the investment of $300 into "just mirrors." Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have to say, i am 50/50 on the looks of it. I would totally do it in a heartbeat just so I can have the added visibility, but maybe it's just me- the mirrors look huge on the 600rr. Still though, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
744 Posts
since I can't edit the post; here it is updated with the pics again:

It is a bit more complicated than that. Simply put, the 08 bases are larger and at an angle where as the 07 bases are flat. Now, a spacer could be made to match the two but it'd be quite a bit of work. I, milled out my faring and upper faring stay a bit more than the OP to try to get things as flush as possible but I still have a small gap. Here's a few pics:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great pics thank you, it looks like you have a gap somewhere from 1/8 at one end to 3/16 at the most. Would you say that is accurate? Any chance you have a picture of the modified/retrofitted cowl? Did you do anything different than the OP?

·
Registered
744 Posts
The gap is due to the contour of the bottom of the mirror base; it has an angle to it.

I have no pics of the cowl but it is basically completely milled out below the mirrors so that I could attempt to sink the mirros flush with the upper faring stay and remove the gap. I accomplished the ability to sink the mirrors down a bit but the gap remains due to the shape of the mirror base.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd say they're noticibly larger but not out of wack; take a look at these pics and compare them with a 600RR with stock mirrors and decide for yourself:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
i want to do this but it seems like to much work for mirrors lol. great writeup though!
Theres no better feeling than to know that the smuck on the cell phone drinking the coffee and changing the radio can see your blinker at eye level when your making that left....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i couldnt find the gixxer mod that was mentioned on this thread, anyone have the actual thread location as i searched for gixxer mirrors and nothing :( as sadly it seems the gixxer mod is easier then this one...

cheers

101 - 120 of 155 Posts