Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2008 600RR Track Build

12K views 83 replies 13 participants last post by  marc.adamski 
#1 ·
Recently purchased and ready to build. I’ve owned a 2004 gsxr 600, then a 2007 gsxr 1000, and then a 2013 gsxr 600 and now I’m going track only with the Honda. I’m using this post to keep me honest on my intentions and to track the progress and hopefully others can benefit as well. If you see anything you want better pictures of or clarification on, feel free to ask. Fortunately I live in a north suburb of Austin, TX and have Motomummy.com warehouse 4 minutes from my house, and that’s where my loyalty lies. When I purchased this bike, it came with stock Rearsets, 520 conversion driven sprockets stock from +3 rear, Vance Hines dented scratches slip on, zero gravity corsa, front rear axle sliders with frame sliders, motion pro rev2 50mm, ignition delete, stock master, kn filter, and armor bodies superbike that was not sanded or primed and just cheap rattle can paint with hundreds of stickers all over it. I think that’s it for what it came with, next is the plan.

I have installed lightech Rearsets and switched to gp shift. Exhaust is staying the same as I will upgrade to a full once I feel I’m capable of riding to NEED the additional power. Plan to add Translogic Quickshifter. 43 tooth (+1) rear sprocket. Powder coat rims red and add 90* stems. Q4 tires which I’m aware of the mileage you get here, but 900 miles is easily a full season of riding. Case covers. Gear indicator. Brembo master but I had the accossato and liked it so either one. I have some things to fix because it was a track bike and things were neglected but as they happen I’ll continue post. Thanks for following along, hopefully this turns out fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·

So removed the lower, tail, and windscreen along with a ton of stickers. I’ve been using goo gone and the pain comes right off, but only getting off the nose has destroyed one towel so sanding is option 2.

Keeping the windscreen but want to avoid any possible future damage so it’s off and off to the side. Need to line the bodywork with new heat shield. Plan for paint is black upper fairing and gas tank, standard blue similar to Yamaha blue tail and lower, and red powder coated rims. Paint will be a glossy fiberglass designed rattle can that I did on my last bike and enjoyed the outcome. Hoping for a lot of this to happen mid November as I’m busy with work and the family. Thanks for keeping up. In the mean time I’ll post old pics of the last bike and CoTA

#3 ·

Removed rims and took off rim tape. Once they are all done I’ll be adding the master and bleeding the brakes with rbf600 to fill them. Also next up is oil and filter change since I don’t know the history very well. The previous one to torque front and rear axle and sprocket nuts had them over 200lbs and was close to need a breaker bar. Crazy.

#7 ·
It’s just Moto-D stands, they are $150 for the pair pretty much everywhere you look and are rock solid. As of right now, what you see in grey is all because of goo gone...my guess is the only reason it works is because the bodywork was never sanded so the spray paint didn’t stand a chance to stick. I have to take the rotors off both rims and then clean them and get all the residue, chain gunk, and weights with their residue off the wheels to prep them for powder coating and then I’ll be going back to take the rest of the paint off. The sticker residue has been a real pain in the ass to get off even with goo gone and it’s zero fun sanding or rubbing the paint off. My laziness and lack of patience to have a final product are both battling it out hard right now haha

#9 · (Edited)
Fully stripped now. Just waiting for mid month to get the parts and have the time for install. Until then my only agenda is to take the paint off and sand to prep for paint. So won’t have much to show until then, but as soon as I get new goodies or make progress towards something interesting I will post it. Thanks for following and bare in mind this is my time of learning the Honda as well..I’ve been Suzuki my entire life.

Next up

Translogic QS
Motul 300V hiflo filter
Driven 43 tooth
Brembo master w/ rbf600
Cox radiator guard
Gear indicator
Q4 or Power RS still debating
Misano D Air Perforated for me

Wheels are ready for powder coat just need time to drop off

#10 ·
Looking good man. Ill be watching for progress. I love to watch bikes come together.

Reactions: marc.adamski
#11 ·
Shoutout Motomummy for the hook up on the D-Air. Prices are insane right now. I also had them knock off the tires and prep the rims for powder coat and they are getting done I’m racer red by enigma coatings and should be done next week and getting new bearings and debating on captive spacers. I have sanded down down the entire tail and prepped for paint, just have to do everything else. I’m ballin on a budget so I’m doing it all in the limited free time I have while maintaining a career, marriage, college, and minimal social life. Thanks for keeping me on track, this forum is literally doing it for me.

I also have ordered a front reservoir with bracket from a 2012 off eBay which should be here tomorrow along with a gear indicator. This weekend my dark smoke visor will be delivered as well for the bell race star.

#12 ·
Nice suit man! Wheels sound like they will be very cool!

#14 ·
Still waiting on wheels from powder coat so waiting to install master cylinder and bleeding brakes for all new fluid. Previous owner had a busted reservoir so ordered a used one off eBay and mounted that up. I also have a oem dampener on the way to give that a shot and see if it works. Haven’t found much info online regarding them and it’s pretty rare anyone races these so I haven’t been lucky in finding information. Painting armor bodies black all the way around and the intake screen is red. Installed gear indicator as well and waiting on wheels to set it up. Also have to install the pc3 and then map it for the slip on and on race filter until I feel the need for a full system.
Shopping for a reasonably priced radiator guard as well

#15 ·
Hey man, Looking good. Did you order a pc3 new or find a used one. I have a pc3, ignition module and quick shifter I sell you if you want. Its a pull type quick shifter. Also there is a aftermarket damper for sale on the wera forums. I bought the dudes swingarm and forks with the ktech cartridges just last week.

I am racing an 07 so can give you a lot of info if you need it. I wouldnt run the stock damper. I wasnt impressed with it so put a GPR on mine. I also have an 04 Ill be racing in modern vintage this year that is getting an 07 front end, forks, wheel brakes ect. Let me know if you have any questions.

#16 ·
Hey man, Looking good. Did you order a pc3 new or find a used one. I have a pc3, ignition module and quick shifter I sell you if you want. Its a pull type quick shifter. Also there is a aftermarket damper for sale on the wera forums. I bought the dudes swingarm and forks with the ktech cartridges just last week.

I am racing an 07 so can give you a lot of info if you need it. I wouldnt run the stock damper. I wasnt impressed with it so put a GPR on mine. I also have an 04 Ill be racing in modern vintage this year that is getting an 07 front end, forks, wheel brakes ect. Let me know if you have any questions.

I actually just bought a trans logic a couple weeks ago that should be here tomorrow. The bike came with a pc3 so planning on using that. I have a lot lot lot to learn and starting from the ground up. Good brakes, quick shifter, and used parts is my main thing and finding what will work for me until I need to step it up. I need to focus more on just getting out on the track rather than building a race bike. My last bike had evvvverything and I lacked skill big time and managed 3:10s at cota with traffic...so instead of stacking the bike with parts, I’m adding as I progress from what it already had if that makes sense

#18 ·

Wheels are done, now off to get new bearings and the Q4s mounted.

I got my back ordered 43 tooth sprocket and the translogic QS in yesterday. Just need to find time between work and school to install the master and then bleed brakes and start with the installs.

#19 ·
Very nice!!!

#20 ·

Woooooooo! Q4s look good and the wheels are dope. Hopefully will have the entire bodywork complete by next weekend. I have the tank mounted and it’s good but missed a few spots on the lower I need to touch up. Still have to mount front wheel and do brakes MC and everything and I may have a leaking fork cap I just found but I’ll see how that turns out after watching it a couple days. Will update after front wheel is mounted!

#26 ·
Subscribed!

What kind of gear indicator is that? I didn't like Q3s so I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the Q4.

I actually loved my Q3s but I’m not even close to an elbow dragger so these tires far surpass my ability. The gear indicator was Chinese from eBay for $40...super easy to setup and works just as slow as the $150 healtech ones

#27 ·
Still need to sell current rearsets so I can get the translogic going. Need to set up the brake lines and bleed them and paint the right side of the upper fairing....I also have like 4 bolts I took off and can’t figure out where they go now haha. So should be ready by March as soon as I can get rid of these rearsets

#29 ·
I really need to get the rear fender powder coated since it’s metal but I have a lot of other things to do first that are priority in being road ready and that’s a luxury thing. It’s good to finally see it coming together because it was a black out for awhile

#35 ·
Painted rear fender a solid red and really really like the way it turned out! Finished painting everything else but had to remove the air box and everything in order to run the translogic wiring. These bikes are a way bigger pain in the ass than my last few GSXRs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.