Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is bone stock with roughly 2k on the clock. I haven't ridden it in 3 weeks due to the weather. I didn't think it would be this cold for this long so I never got around to winterizing it. It was 55 out today so I thought I'd ride to work but my bike would not start.

All the usual lights come on after turning the key and setting the ignition to on. When I hit start, it cranks and every once in a while I'll get a little sputter as if it was just about to fire up and then nothing. I read somewhere to pin the throttle back while hitting start to prevent flooding in case that was the problem but that did not seem to work either. After a dozen or so attempts, my battery finally died.

Any guesses?

D

·
0 Posts
My guess is the battery. Since it's already dead now, just put it on a tender and try starting when it's fully charged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't have a battery tender. any recommendations? i saw a few at WalMart from Schumacher but never heard of them...

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
i just got a cheap battery float from harbor freight tools for $7.00. i had the same thing happen to my bike. after trouble shooting it, i finally jumped it off my wife's car. it took a while to get her started, but she finally did. i had to hold the start button down while mess with the throttle. it took a few tries but she did start. good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a charger and charged my battery overnight. I tried starting her up again today and now I don't even get the sputter. It sounds like when you hit start but forget to switch the ignition cutoff to the on position.

I know I'm not giving you guys much to go on here... I'm just trying to avoid a trip to the dealership, especially since I don't have a truck or trailer. Having to pay for a tow on top of service just sucks.

Thanks in advance, guys!

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
mine does that. do you use the kill switch to turn it off ever? whenever i've used it it always takes a while to turn it back on. all the lights turn on and everything but the fuel pump doesn't prime. it's like the switch is stuck. just keep trying it and listen for the fuel pump, it should eventually turn back on. maybe hit the switch a few times.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Then it is the plugs or something like that. Pull out a plug and see if it is sparking. You have to ground it to the motor to get it to work... don't hold it to the motor with your hand though.

If no spark... check the wiring connections.

If it does spark.. it must be too weak... I'd replace the plugs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can jump the bike with a car...no need to waste money n get the battery charger/tenderizer.......try shacking the bike....yeah that's right shake it! it will def. help move the fluids specially if the bike has been sitting for a while...i have an 08rr as well and had this issue....shaking and trying to start a couple of times did the trick....I know shaking it sounds crazy but it worked for me.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
^^^ dude are you seroius??? Through the process of elimination... we have found that there is something wrong with the spark... and you're gonna come in here and tell him to jump start his bike and shake it...

If you "fixed" your bike by shaking it... Then you didn't fix anything. How hard did you shake it? This bike is 400 lbs and lets say that you're 200lbs... you can't shake it. What did you do... run it down the stairs?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Also still may be flooded. If you take your plugs out... crank it and see if it spits out some fuel out of the spark plug holes. If it does... then it is definately flooded. Maybe leave the plugs out and shoot some compressed air into each cylinder. Just to make sure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
dcope, don't get all pissed off at BLKCBR when he's trying to suggest something. Your conclusion on what's wrong with the bike might not necessarily be right either. You can definitely do a little "shaking" to the bike, it's not that heavy.

I had somewhat of the same problem with my 08 600RR a couple weeks ago. I was riding my bike to my apartment door, stalled it while making a really tight right hander, and couldn't start it up again. Turned out the engine was flooded. My bike had also been sitting for a while although I had taken it out a couple times here and there. If you can get it back to where it was almost turning over again, fiddle with the throttle and there is a chance it'll finally catch. That's what the mechanic at my dealership did and it worked.

However, seeing as how you charged the battery and there are no sounds, I'm not sure if that will work.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
^^ you're right... it's been a rough day...well month really. and I have had some suggestions that, I'm sure, sounded pretty dumb to others too.

So, I apologize blkcbr... Don't stop posting stuff cause of my reaction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The funny thing is, I tried shaking it before I even read his post. That didn't work either. I'll try to get to the plugs when it warms up a bit. It's way to cold to ride anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll let you know when I get a chance to check the plugs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
its possible the battery is beyond the point of recharging.

i might have been misreading this, but now...after buying the charger and trying to charge it...you say its not even doing the sputter. does the starter motor turn? or is there nothing happening at all?

if the starter motor turns then, yeah, check the plugs to see if they're fouled and the cylinders are flooded.

if the starter motor does nothing and when you hit the ignition button nothing happens other than you cursing at the bike gods...chances are the battery didnt hold the charge because its dead and you need a new one.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have take him to mean that it used to sound like it wanted to fire but now it doesn't sound like it wants to start... meaning that the starter is spinning the motor but just no fire.

If that's wrong kirby then correct me.

Also.. .the more I think about it... the more I'm leaning towards the bike being flooded. I'm betting that if you took the plugs out and shot some air into the cylinder ( with an air gun and a long enough nossle to reach through the spark plug holes)... that you'd get a spray of fuel out of it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts