Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070705t.htm

An e-mail from Indianapolis Motor Speedway states that they will make an announcement on July 16 which will make motorsports history. Presumably this means that on that day they will announce the date of their 2008 USGP MotoGP event.

Stay tuned.

I'm sooo there if this happens!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
still not certain..but it will be awesome if they do! isnt there gonna be saftey problems since the track doesnt have runoff? or does it?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I hear it might be the same track setup as F1. That's the rumour anyway. They will put in necessary safety mods I am sure. They aren't running oval.

X

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
F1 track ran backwards (same direction as the oval). speedway turn one deleted and replaced with more infield. at least that's the rumor.....

here's the track as is...

damn, i'll be so excited once they make this offical. i just haven't been getting my hopes up because i'll go so crazy if it happens. but it is looking GOOD now!!!!!!!!!! whew hew!!!!!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know! it's so much closer then laguna!!! and maybe even better of a layout!

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/july/july2-8/july0407indianapolismotogpracetobeannouncednextweek/?&R=EPI-92483

Indianapolis MotoGP race to be announced next week
By Matthew Birt

MotoGP

04 July 2007 17:23

A second MotoGP race in America to be staged at the famous Indianapolis circuit will be officially announced next week.

The Indy clash will join the Laguna Seca round in California on the 2008 MotoGP world championship calendar.

The race will definitely run in September but no date has been confirmed, though MCN understands that a 2008 provisional MotoGP calendar will be released at either the German MotoGP at the Sachsenring next week (July 13-15) or in Laguna Seca the following weekend (July 20-22).

Indianapolis won’t add to the current 18-round MotoGP calendar, with bosses insisting that the season will not be extended to a 19-round season.

Turkey’s round at the Istanbul Park is expected too be sacrificed for Indianapolis.

MCN understands the 2008 season is to kick-off again in March at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar, followed by the Spanish MotoGP in Jerez which replicates the opening to the 2007 season.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah and they already were nixing the Turkey round even before Indianapolis was an issue.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it maybe i just remember watching the turkey one and them saying that it is the last time they will be racing there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
it maybe i just remember watching the turkey one and them saying that it is the last time they will be racing there.
Well the greediest man in motorsport owns the Istanbul circuit now and he already pissed off the Moto GP folks by trying to raise the price to test there by an astronomical amount and quadrupling the daily track rental fee, even for groups that had already reserved the track before the price hike (he raised it to $100,000).

Chances are he's gonna be stupid and greedy about the sanctioning fee with Dorna and they are simply going to go elsewhere. Its a ******* shame too because its a great track and I'm dating a Turkish girl right now so I would've had a place to stay :(

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Wow... Could it be?

Jason

·
Registered
796 Posts
I am ready to go as soon as tickets are announced. Turn one is awesome and so is the infield, at least for F1 they are. The seating in front of the podium is also awesome. We all need to hook up and have a massive party in Indy. Let's keep the communication channels open for this.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MORE GOOD NEWS and the best part is at the end!!!!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/0707126a.htm

The news burning up the wires this morning is that Indianapolis Motor Speedway and F1 Supremo Berni Eccelstone have agreed to not hold an F1 race at Indy next year.

The scene seems to be set for Indianapolis to announce their MotoGP event, which will run on the F1 roadcourse (backwards and with modifications).

Local Indy press reports suggest the switch from F1 to MotoGP by Indy will give the track an opportunity to actually make money on an international race. With the sanction fee for an F1 race costing a reported $10-15 million dollars, and the sanction fee on MotoGP--again reported--to cost just $1-2 million, Indy could gross nine million dollars if 150,000 spectators pay $60 each to attend the US MotoGP event (their math, not ours).

Sure, this sounds like crazy math but once you step away from the insane math of F1, all things seem possible.

European sources indicate that Indy's MotoGP event will include the 125 and 250 machines.

·
Registered
968 Posts
just found another article taking about motogp next year =)
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38692/
"Last month, IMS officials announced thay the track will be hosting a MotoGP motorcycle race in '08, which may help to offset the financial hit the city will have with the loss of the international crowd that followed the event."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts