-What would you guy's choose? The Evo or the 335i?-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen this topic here before but my girlfriend and I are sorta in a dilemma and can't completely decide on what we want. Sooo she wanted the 335i for quite some time because she think's the car is nice based off of it's look's but haven't test driven it yet. I persuaded her to consider the EVO X MR because she didn't like the new STi too much because it was a hatchback/wagon. So we went to a dealer yesterday and drove it and she liked it a lot because of the fact that it was automatic. To tell you guy's the truth I'm not much of a huge fan on Euro car's only because I think they're crap after warranty and part's pricing on Euro's whether it be OEM or aftermarket is just way too ridiculous. Coming from the import scene myself and being in the game for 5yrs I'm more comfortable working on the Evo myself which is why I told her to steer towards that direction so that she can avoid going to the dealer and getting ripped off after that 4yr free maintenance program bullsh*t is over. And from what I've seen the resale value seem's to be slightly better on the Evo in comparison to the 335i so I just wanted to take a poll to see what everyone else think's about the two. Majority of my friends told me to get the Evo and a very few said get the 335i so let the game's begin...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you guys looked into the 1 series? I like those a lot better than the 3.
Yeah we've seen the 135i is it(best model)? But we want something with a little more room cause she had an RSX before. So those were the two we had to compare with before HP wise they're about the same, MPG wise they're about the same, it's just a clash of European and Japanese.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My first 4 cars were imports and then I bought an E46 M3 and imports kind of went in last place for me. The BMW will provide a smothter ride with good handling and still be quick as hell without feeling like your in a race car. I don't know much about the new evo's and if they have made them more road friendly but the previous models were pretty harsh for a daily commute. As far as resale value goes, I'm thinking they are pretty equal. BMW's hold their value better than most cars out and to tell you the truth all the older EVO's out there aren't selling at a price I'd be happy with if I bought it new.

Another thing to consider is you're talking RWD VS AWD. 335 has the AWD but not the I. So I'm assuming you are looking at the RWD. Being that I see you are from SoCal I don't think you need to worry about snow, and AWD certainly isn't my favorite type of car to be driving when it's nice out. So IMO I'd go with the 335 just from the fact that I'm a BMW owner and I would actually trade in my M3 for a 335 but certainly not an EVO.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbodreams[B said:
wrx[/B];2352167]My first 4 cars were imports and then I bought an E46 M3 and imports kind of went in last place for me. The BMW will provide a smothter ride with good handling and still be quick as hell without feeling like your in a race car. I don't know much about the new evo's and if they have made them more road friendly but the previous models were pretty harsh for a daily commute. As far as resale value goes, I'm thinking they are pretty equal. BMW's hold their value better than most cars out and to tell you the truth all the older EVO's out there aren't selling at a price I'd be happy with if I bought it new.

Another thing to consider is you're talking RWD VS AWD. 335 has the AWD but not the I. So I'm assuming you are looking at the RWD. Being that I see you are from SoCal I don't think you need to worry about snow, and AWD certainly isn't my favorite type of car to be driving when it's nice out. So IMO I'd go with the 335 just from the fact that I'm a BMW owner and I would actually trade in my M3 for a 335 but certainly not an EVO.
I take it that within those 4 car's you had a WRX? LOL... Don't get me wrong I like european car's too cause I'd love for my girlfriend to get like a used '05 MBZ E55 AMG but I know they've all been used and abused so that's outta the question. And umm I'm not sure how the used market is in your state/area but around here the Evo seem's to have a slight better resale value as stated before but that's just around LA/OC area.

Yeah I believe the 335i is the RWD and the 335ix is the AWD one but the deciding factor didn't really come down to RWD or AWD cause I could care less about both because either is cool with me. Yeah I've heard that the E92 was alot better in every aspect compared to the E46 so I wouldn't blame you if you opted for the E92 from an E46. I guess we should just test drive the E92 but damn it cost's like an extra 5-6g'z for one...

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
I know I've seen this topic here before but my girlfriend and I are sorta in a dilemma and can't completely decide on what we want. Sooo she wanted the 335i for quite some time because she think's the car is nice based off of it's look's but haven't test driven it yet. I persuaded her to consider the EVO X MR because she didn't like the new STi too much because it was a hatchback/wagon. So we went to a dealer yesterday and drove it and she liked it a lot because of the fact that it was automatic. To tell you guy's the truth I'm not much of a huge fan on Euro car's only because I think they're crap after warranty and part's pricing on Euro's whether it be OEM or aftermarket is just way too ridiculous. Coming from the import scene myself and being in the game for 5yrs I'm more comfortable working on the Evo myself which is why I told her to steer towards that direction so that she can avoid going to the dealer and getting ripped off after that 4yr free maintenance program bullsh*t is over. And from what I've seen the resale value seem's to be slightly better on the Evo in comparison to the 335i so I just wanted to take a poll to see what everyone else think's about the two. Majority of my friends told me to get the Evo and a very few said get the 335i so let the game's begin...
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 2010 STI coming in a coupe form? But I don't know if you want to wait that long

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 2010 STI coming in a coupe form? But I don't know if you want to wait that long
Yeah but my girl want's a new car now cause she totaled out her RSX this past year and has been driving around in her parent's car. If you're right chances are I'll be getting the new body style STi in the coming year's then and she'll have the Evo or E92.:five:

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you really need all wheel drive? If so go with the Evo otherwise you might consider something less expensive and equally customizable...2009 Mazdaspeed 3? (2010 looks retarded in my opinion). Plus you'll save like 10K.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you really need all wheel drive? If so go with the Evo otherwise you might consider something less expensive and equally customizable...2009 Mazdaspeed 3? (2010 looks retarded in my opinion). Plus you'll save like 10K.
No we really don't need the AWD but we're buying it more so because of the car and how amazing it is. Personally I hate Mazda's and they're at the bottom of the list for me especially in the Japanese automotive scene. To me Mazda lost everything in term's of performance after the RX7(FC/FD) and after that everything else failed to me esp. that weak RX8.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I give props to your girl for at least trying to get rid of FWD. I don't know how the mazdaspeed 3 compares to the mazdaspeed 6 but when I test drove that thing I felt like I was driving a cadillac seville taking the turns, it was junk. I know that the 3 compares well to the WRX but the understeer of a FWD car and just the fact that they really just aren't that fun to really drive steers me away.

If the price is a factor I would stay clear of the BMW. If your questioning the sticker price of the car, it's gonna be bad when you actually have to maintain the car. If I do an oil change myself with the M3 it cost me around 86 bucks or so. Let alone what the dealership costs to do it themselves, cause you certainly aren't going to autozone to pick up some mobil 1 synthetic.

Sounds like you are leaning more towards the evo in the first place so go with what you or your girl really want. That's the bottom line

And as far as the SN goes yah, I've had it forever and use it for every forum I join, it's easier that way because I'm on a million different forums and trying to remember a different sn for each one would be way too difficult haha

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I voted BMW. I really wanted the 135i chipped by DINAN though. My boss has one. Unbelievable. It is faster than his 997 off the line and through the corners.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I voted for the Bimmer simply because the X was an automatic. Why the hell would you want that?
That's like saying why the hell would you want a Ferrari F430 Scuderia or a Nissan GTR. Now a days a lot of sportscars are coming in automatic/paddleshifters.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
That's like saying why the hell would you want a Ferrari F430 Scuderia or a Nissan GTR. Now a days a lot of sportscars are coming in automatic/paddleshifters.
They dont make those cars in ONLY auto trans. Thats my point. If you are buying a sports car, get a manual. If you want a sedan, get one

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bimmer interiors don't really do it for me either although i did vote for it because the exterior is sexy as hell... What about a C350 Benz... Little cheaper then the 335i

·
Registered
712 Posts
is the car for her or for you?
get something she will be happy with if its for her.

EVO grows old...

bmw doesnt...

i would select the bmw.

imo, the import scene and that stuff grew old way back when. now that i am a little older, my RR + a nice vehicle like a bmw is enough for me.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bimmer interiors don't really do it for me either although i did vote for it because the exterior is sexy as hell... What about a C350 Benz... Little cheaper then the 335i
Cause her sister has the '09 C300 and she doesn't want the same looking car.

khiemp said:
is the car for her or for you?
get something she will be happy with if its for her.

EVO grows old...

bmw doesnt...

i would select the bmw.

imo, the import scene and that stuff grew old way back when. now that i am a little older, my RR + a nice vehicle like a bmw is enough for me.
It's more for her but I'll be driving it 80% of the time and she's definitely happy with the way the both car's look and perform.

BMW does get old after warranty is up because that's when the headache's begin to roll in non stop.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I voted for the 335i, since I personally thing the 08/09 Evo's are among the ugliest cars out there... Almost up there with the Smart. (Look wise)

·
Registered
345 Posts
what about Lexus IS250 or 350 for more power. I think BMW is more classy while the evo is ricer.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts