Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 08 ninja 250 for my first bike....i have 1600 miles on it... its fun as hell but at the end of the year i think i will be looking for a 600rr ....i love riding the 250 but one problem i have is it seems soo light and i get blown all around the hiway if there is any kind of wind.....or passing semi's, its a real pain in the ass .... i only weigh 150 lbs ...if i bought a 600 would it still be a problem for me?? do 600 weigh alot more then a 250?? its really annoying getting blown around the road by vehicles

D

·
0 Posts
If wind is strong enough, you'll get blown around regardless of the bike. Passing semis is easy though; only time I really speed, lol.
Not sure how much the 250 weighs, but the 600RR will weigh around 410lbs, which isn't heavy at all. You can balance these bikes with your pinkie.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think a 250 ninja is around 350 pounds wet if I'm correct. A 600RR is definitely gonna be heavier but I still get blown around a lil on really windy days, when on bridges, or when passing semis. I've never been on a 700 pound cruiser so I don't know how much of a difference they even make for wind. But I can tell you that you're still gonna feel it on a 600.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found I too got blown all over the road on windy days. The 2000 ninja I rode also slowed down a noticeable amount whenever I got wind blast to the chest. Your essentially a sail out there. I rode an 1100 honda shadow before and I think your still susceptible to wind shear no matter the size, but more power will prevent it from slowing you down enough to notice it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
ninja 250 is a very light bike...I took my license test on it and I had to get used to it before my turn was up. Turning radius was so much better than the 600rr. Its a quick bike but nothing like the rr. Its not a "slow" bike! The weight difference is A LOT. Dry its 300lbs but the new ones are a bit heavier. Its a great bike

·
Registered
266 Posts
i weigh about the same...i have an 03 and i have the same issue..i put on a steering damper which helps with the mild head shake i get from time to time...i usually get it when driving through a head wind and passing semi's..i dont get any kind of speed wobble now that i have the damper (a must have) and as far as semi's go i just tuck and throttle...if i sit up ( i'm 5'11) i tend to get pushed all over...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That 250 you have is a great machine, keep it. Buy a 600 RR for street in a year or two and use the 250 for a track bike. 90 or better percent of riders myself included will never be able to run a newer 250 ninja at its limit if properly set up consistently all the time at the track and mastering a 600 takes years of seat time. you could put good tires ,shock , springs , valves , pipe ,tuning and have a track bike that could easily carry amazing corner speed. But they aint to shabby as the are. They just start wheezing around 100, but thats just fine for a street bike for now. You could squeeze 120 with a little work later. I want one just for a track toy. My friend at the Kawi dealer cant get them fast enough. Must be a reason right ?

And wind is wind, Try riding my DRZ400S at 75 on the highway with knobbies, thats some light weight kite action ,hang on time. My 600 also requires some tucking for shifting winds. Even Goldwings with all that side mass get hit hard by wind, you just cant get away from it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
2008 Ninja 250R dry weight - 333 lbs
2007 Honda CBR600RR dry weight - 345 lbs

If you're getting blown around on your Ninja, and think the problem is the weight, then the 600RR isn't going to be any improvement. I haven't noticed any issues myself though, except under extreme wind conditions...

Anyway, yeah, take the 250R out for a couple track days and only them make your decision. I've had a blast on my 600RR on the track, but sometimes it gets a bit frustrating, as a newbie, that its so, so much faster than I'm capable of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im always tucking in from the wind and semi's...this summer here has been brutal. every nice day out its windy as hell....and if its not windy its raining, it makes riding unenjoyable, so fustrating

wow didnt relize the ninja and cbr are so close in weight...i guess its something i will have to learn to deal with

·
Registered
810 Posts
1989 Ninja 250R dry weight - 304 Ibs
2008 Ninja 250R dry weight - 333 lbs
2007 CBR600RR dry weight - 345 lbs

Who says modern bikes always get lighter "!"

I have both the 250 (89 & 93)) & 600 (07) & weigh 135 Ib.

There is a world of difference between these bikes.
The 250 weight is lower down & less noticable.
It is great when 'on line' & doesn't get upset by rider error (is very forgiving)
It does everything 'well' but is outstanding at nothing. In short it is a new rider-friendly bike.

The 600 is outstanding at everything. Its far more nimble, & brakes like you would not believe.
Both vehicles do get blown around by vehicles...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was riding an 08 Ninja at the beginning of this year before I upgraded to my CBR

There is a weight difference (the CBR being heavier) but it isn't as large as you might think.
The aerodynamics of my CBR seem better, and I feel I have more stability at higher speeds
The biggest change is the power (obviously) I could ring the 250's neck all the time, and I don't dare do that on city streets with my 600
As someone else said, the turning radius is larger with the 600

Hope that helped

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't bother. Learn to ride properly and you won't ever need one.
i would like to see u post a new thread with that statement...dampers arent for ppl who dont know how to ride there bikes...all bikes should have dampers..u cant always control ur front end..sometimes in turns u hit bumps and ur front gets a little unsettled..nothing to do with rider ability..u can also get speed wobble...wind shifts and bumpy roads can cause ur steering to wobble as u ride..not a constant wobble but it doesnt take much to turn a little wobble into a high jump triple back flip land on face and @$$ simultaneously(high side)..i guess that doesnt apply to u..i think it was the great Rossi who literally was running beside his bike during a violent high side and saved it(correct me if im wrong as far as rider goes)...iif u posses that skill then ur the man...as far as anyone making a damper for the 08 250r..not sure..bike is still pretty new and so parts will take a while to pour out..popularity is on the 250r's side so i am pretty sure someone will make one

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
dude if you want to upgrade to a 600 for a heavier bike you are upgrading for the wrong reason. my dodge ram passing a semi you can feel the wind, so a 600 isnt going to be that much more solid, you arent gonna feel the 30 pounds difference.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
Don't bother. Learn to ride properly and you won't ever need one.

i would like to see u post a new thread with that statement...dampers arent for ppl who dont know how to ride there bikes...all bikes should have dampers..u cant always control ur front end..sometimes in turns u hit bumps and ur front gets a little unsettled..nothing to do with rider ability..u can also get speed wobble...wind shifts and bumpy roads can cause ur steering to wobble as u ride..not a constant wobble but it doesnt take much to turn a little wobble into a high jump triple back flip land on face and @$$ simultaneously(high side)..i guess that doesnt apply to u..i think it was the great Rossi who literally was running beside his bike during a violent high side and saved it(correct me if im wrong as far as rider goes)...iif u posses that skill then ur the man...as far as anyone making a damper for the 08 250r..not sure..bike is still pretty new and so parts will take a while to pour out..popularity is on the 250r's side so i am pretty sure someone will make one

neither of you are right. dampers are great and can help in many situations, with all skilled riders. honestly knowing how to ride can help you in lots of these situations too. a suspension set up right, for your body weight also plays a HUGE roll in saving your ass in the case of something going wrong. dampers are not required for all bikes, though they are a cheap investment to save your skin. saying all bikes should come with a damper is not true but saying that getting a damper is worthless is also ridiculous. you guys should read up, you both are at the extremes and neither of you are wrong but neither of you are right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i never said required...i think u got me wrong..i didnt have a damper on my last bike and i didnt have one on my current bike for a while..now that i have one i wouldnt like to ride without one...i say they should have one cause it is cheap insurance..in my opinion anyways...it can assist u in not trashing ur bike but it wont prevent it...that is why i say all bike should have one..now do i care if someone thinks its useless..not at all..i have one cause i want one...if someone doesnt..oh well...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts