Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all. I've sorted through the various 'no start' threads and none seems to match what is happening with my bike. So...

I'm in the process of selling my RR and while the buyer was about to take a test drive, my bike wouldn't start. The battery was 3 years old and it had died a few months back but I bought a battery tender which kept it going. Anyway, the buyer first came over last thursday and I started the bike to let him hear it run and it started & ran perfectly. Fast forward to yesterday when he wanted to ride it. When I went to start it, it sounded like the battery was dead. The display came on but the bike wouldn't start. So we decided to bump start it. We tried three times and nothing. He left a little unhappy but I completely charged the battery overnight and attempted this morning. Same situation but it sounds slightly different when I try to start it now. Today I bought and installed a new battery and the same thing is happening.

As you can see from the video the display comes on, the fuel pump activates, I pull the clutch in, the bike is in neutral, the kickstand is up, and it sounds almost like a dry cough. The sound of the start sounds higher pitched and sounds like something isn't engaging. I can smell fuel in the exhaust while I'm starting the bike and the starter relay switch is clicking. I'm at a loss. I'm not about to tear the bike down while the sale is going on so I'm considering taking it to the dealership to have it looked at. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
it's a sign from the bike saying it doesn't want to be sold. not to that guy at least. lol. that sound at the end of your vid made me cringe. i can hear your fuel pump just fine, so i'm ruling that out. prior to starting it up for the guy to hear, has it been sitting for awhile?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, that sound is really freaking me out. It has been sitting a lot the last 6-8 months. It has 6891 miles, only about 100 or so in the last 6 months. It's never been ridden hard and always garaged. I can't imagine it's an engine problem and I've tried the flooding technique about 4 times.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Sounds like your starter clutch has died.... and I don't think I have seen that before on these bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nico I'm thinking it has to be something related to the starter. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the entire starter as it's fairly expensive (>$300) but that's looking more likely.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm telling you, if it weren't for bad luck...

Due to the potential severity of the issue, I'm going to have my local bike shop (where I bought it) take a look at it. I was fine with replacing a starter but last night I attempted to start the bike again so I put my hand on the starter which is definitely doing 'something'. If you're right I imagine this is not going to be a cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Worse case scenario puts you at about $200 DIY... you just need to pull the right crankcase cover off then remove the clutch and clutch basket to get in behind it, then undo the starter clutch, there are a couple of pieces in there that may need replacing (3 and 4 in the link above).

The starter clutch basically operates the same as a bicycle gear... locks up (for starting) then when you stop applying drive it just free wheels... or if you prefer, it locks in one direction and is free spinning in the other.

there are also a couple of gears in there that you may have stripped... either way you have to pull the clutch basket out to get into there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts