Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2009 600rr Phoenix edition and after 2 weeks of riding it, no matter what gear but mostly can hear it in 4-6th...it makes a humming sound. Like a higher pitch rrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound when throttle is given.

Bike has 1,100 miles. Not too many miles. It just bugs me because this bike is in showroom mint condition. I lubed the chain because I thought it was a dry chain and the motor sprocket was the culprit. After lubing sound still exists. I can't really hear where it's coming from because I wear a helmet.

I'm a noob at bikes but very mechanically inclined with cars and stuff.

Any help would be appreciated

Casey

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could with my gopro camera. Not sure where to put the cam and mount it. It's windy as **** today. Might not be a good day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be chain loose, sprocket wear or a bad bearing ...not sure though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure, just a thought. Make sure your rear axle is straight. If someone tightened the chain and is too tight or your axle is not perfectly straight, this could be putting strain on those important gears and bearings and sprockets. Check your chain play too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to sportland and they tightened the chain. They also took it for a spin to listen to it. The mechanic said nothing sounds out of the ordinary. He said get a pipe so you don't have to hear the motor noise and transmission. Said stock mufflers are so quiet that you hear all the mechanical noises. I guess I'm getting a pipe. Lol

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Went to sportland and they tightened the chain. They also took it for a spin to listen to it. The mechanic said nothing sounds out of the ordinary. He said get a pipe so you don't have to hear the motor noise and transmission. Said stock mufflers are so quiet that you hear all the mechanical noises. I guess I'm getting a pipe. Lol
Dont matter to me either way but are you riding without a helmet? Because it drives me crazy when i ride without one. I can hear every damn tick. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting a new pipe. If your concerned about the noise, go get a second oppinion. I have had the shops tell me that its nothing abnormal, just ride and enjoy. Well, they dont ride it everday, know what is norm and is not norm. Dont freak out about it, but check it somewhere else. Remember, everyone is gonna have their own interpretation as to what sounds normal and what doesnt. There is a thread under my name about pinging/tapping noise, a lot of reputable guys are saying the CCT. Cam Chain Tensioner. If that goes bad it can cause a odd noise. CCT is located behind the tool box on the right side behind the side plastic. Should be same place as on the 2003-06. Not 100% on location for 09.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 2bros I thought it might be the cct but with only a 1,000 miles I doubt it is but ya never know.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Haha good mechanic - get a pipe so you don't hear the noise...

It reminds me of my doctor. I said doc my shoulder hurts when i touch it - he said "Stop touching it" :crackup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
video would definitely help. the "high pitch rrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound when throttle is given" is definitely imagined differently by everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts