Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First of all, I hope this question is not out of place here.

Just got a 2009 CBR (Phoenix edition). Previous owner sold it to me 3 weeks ago. Bike is in good condition, well looked after.

I've taken it out the past two weekends and for some reason I cannot get it to go faster than 100 miles per hour (160 km/h). It accelerates well through the gears but once I hit 95-100 in 4th it just stays there and doesn't go any quicker. Changing to 5 does not help.

Does anyone have any idea why this is so? I understand this model can go 160mph or maybe just under that. If there is anything I should be doing to make it go faster please let me know.

In case it helps, apart from a 2Bros slip on bike is stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Very poorly calibrated speedo? Download a speedometer app on your smartphone, leave it running in your pocket, and then take it for a spin. After you finish look at the "top speed" on your app and compare it to what you saw on the speedo.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Very poorly calibrated speedo? Download a speedometer app on your smartphone, leave it running in your pocket, and then take it for a spin. After you finish look at the "top speed" on your app and compare it to what you saw on the speedo.
If it hits top speed in 4th, I doubt it's a speedo problem. It sounds like the ECU is locked to that top speed somehow.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk...but if you are hitting 100mph and trying to go faster I hope you aren't on public roads...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Oh come on we all have done it. Not saying its right, but is it really time for a lecture? Lol. Interesting problem though. As the x said, sounds like something with the ECU.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh come on we all have done it. Not saying its right, but is it really time for a lecture? Lol. Interesting problem though. As the x said, sounds like something with the ECU.
Not meant to be a lecture; apologies if it came off that way, just some friendly advice. Obviously I don't know the OPs experience with riding but if it's his first bike and he's only had it three weeks doing that kind of speed...I'm just saying.

But back on topic, here's an idea...contact the previous owner and ask him whats up...

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,769 Posts
When it stops accelerating is it like hitting a wall? Or does it taper off before reaching 100. It could be a cvariety of things but we need to know how it's behaving

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
When it stops accelerating is it like hitting a wall? Or does it taper off before reaching 100. It could be a cvariety of things but we need to know how it's behaving
I was reading this thread and was going to ask the same thing. I don't still have my 600RR but I remember it would almost do 100 in second. I was seeing 120 or 125 if I redlined it in third. When you're at your max speed does it hit it like a rev limiter or does it slowly get up to that speed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great idea Crux, thanks. I'll find one of those apps and try it out.

Not meant to be a lecture; apologies if it came off that way, just some friendly advice. Obviously I don't know the OPs experience with riding but if it's his first bike and he's only had it three weeks doing that kind of speed...I'm just saying.

But back on topic, here's an idea...contact the previous owner and ask him whats up...
Thanks Jason239. I've done just that and he says he got to 110mph easily. I've asked him to try and make out some time to test the bike and he's agreed. So one of these days we'll meet up, and as Crux suggests, I'll put a phone with a speedometer app in a pocket and see how fast the previous owner gets it to.

Also, you have a valid point regarding speeding on public roads. It seems bikers the world over generally get a bad rap. Especially sport bike riders. For me my bike is my primary vehicle and I do all I can to ensure both me and it come to no harm which means - ATGATT, no overspending and all round responsible riding. As part of the learning process, before moving to a 600 I made sure I stuck to a Ninja 500r for at least two years so I could make all the mistakes and understand the principles.

If it hits top speed in 4th, I doubt it's a speedo problem. It sounds like the ECU is locked to that top speed somehow.
Hi X, thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any idea how I can confirm if the ECU is indeed locked to a particular speed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Wibbly, I'd pretty much say it hits a wall. Accelerates fine until it gets to 100 then at that point its like there is no more power to go faster. Best way I can describe it is like this - you know when you're in too high a gear for a few seconds and the engine is struggling to pick up? Exhaust sound is a bit rough? The sensation I get when I hit a hundred is similar to that.

Sounds like you got the J-spec bike......
Hi Tary, well it could be. I thought I had the American spec because it was imported from the US. Do you know how I can check which spec it is?

Do you have stock gearing?
Hi Kenoman, yes gearing is stock to the best of my knowledge. Only mod is a 2Bros exhaust (and shorty levers and dark windshield but those have little effect here)

WhT rpm are you at?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hi Dynarex, good question. From what I recall, I can get up to about 13,000 in first and second before I shift. In third and fourth its a bit lower - probably 10/11,000. Is that about right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Jason239. I've done just that and he says he got to 110mph easily. I've asked him to try and make out some time to test the bike and he's agreed. So one of these days we'll meet up, and as Crux suggests, I'll put a phone with a speedometer app in a pocket and see how fast the previous owner gets it to.

Also, you have a valid point regarding speeding on public roads. It seems bikers the world over generally get a bad rap. Especially sport bike riders. For me my bike is my primary vehicle and I do all I can to ensure both me and it come to no harm which means - ATGATT, no overspending and all round responsible riding. As part of the learning process, before moving to a 600 I made sure I stuck to a Ninja 500r for at least two years so I could make all the mistakes and understand the principles.
Glad you are making progress with the issue... again, I meant no disrespect earlier... good luck

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You should be able to do about 75 in first, 100+ in second 120+ in third, and over 140 in fourth. What happens in the lower gears when you try to go to redline?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
you know when you're in too high a gear for a few seconds and the engine is struggling to pick up?
I could totally be wrong here, however sounds like the feeling you get when bouncing off the limiter.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts