Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, new to the forum. actually joined a few months ago but didn't realise you had to post in the new members area before you could post.

Anyway in the past the couple of days i've noticed a high pitched whine coming from under the seat area, can't really hear it when i'm riding, its none existent when idling but if i blip the throttle in neutral to around 3k rpm i get a ''wooo'' after i left go of the throttle.
After doing some reading i read that it could be that the CCT is making the cam chains too tight?

Bike is on 12k miles, pulls like a train. Other than the second long whine it's perfect but i can't stop hearing it and its driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hello guys, new to the forum. actually joined a few months ago but didn't realise you had to post in the new members area before you could post.

Anyway in the past the couple of days i've noticed a high pitched whine coming from under the seat area, can't really hear it when i'm riding, its none existent when idling but if i blip the throttle in neutral to around 3k rpm i get a ''wooo'' after i left go of the throttle.
After doing some reading i read that it could be that the CCT is making the cam chains too tight?

Bike is on 12k miles, pulls like a train. Other than the second long whine it's perfect but i can't stop hearing it and its driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Under your seat is the exhaust flapper valve motor. It has two cables attached to it that run down to your exhaust under your bike near your oil drain bolt (in that general location). Remove your seat, and have someone rev your bike, and stick your ear next to that motor under your seat.

Cam chain tensioner is located on the right side of your bike behind the fairings. Is yours stock, or aftermarket manual tensioner like the popular APE ones? If yours is still stock, it is an automatic tensioner, and I do not think it is possible for it to over tension the cam chain. If it is aftermarket manual tensioner, again I don't think it is possible for it to all of a sudden over tension the cam chain.

Best thing to do is to know where the sound is coming from first. Get someone to help you locate the sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply, when i say under my seat i mean it definitely sounds engine related. I'm pretty certain that the noise wasn't there before i noticed it but who knows maybe it's normal and i've only just noticed it. I've uploaded a video with the sound below.

My tensioner is stock i believe unless the previous owner changed it.

many thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think I hear the noise after you rev, almost like it has a turbo whine to it, is that what you're talking about? Maybe this will help people hear what you're trying to describe or maybe it's just the headset I'm using...dang Bose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Is that normal? Does yours do that?

I think I hear the noise after you rev, almost like it has a turbo whine to it, is that what you're talking about? Maybe this will help people hear what you're trying to describe or maybe it's just the headset I'm using...dang Bose

·
Registered
34 Posts
Being that I wasn't cool enough like you to get the added turbo no, mine does not make that sound. I don't know what could cause it but if it's not effecting the bike then I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just be happy yours is running smoothly...mine is in a hump right now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts