Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was brousing on ebay and this ducati cought my eye, it is the same price of the 08-09 1000rr and i think i would prefer the ducati, its just an eye catcher! lets here what everyone else thinks of some of the top brands, i know i love my honda but dam some of these new bikes coming out are making me re-think the RR!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have owned ducatis for near 10 years..996/998/749r/999s/1098...i have injoyed owning all of them,however every duke "out the crate" is crap compared to most jap bikes..take the 1098, the base has a 8n rear spring with lots of preload wound down as stock,it wont hold a line & bucks over bumps,it needs a harder spring (10n) with less preload so the spring has travel,the front springs (10n) are to hard,.. every duke needs termis with correct ecu,(not cheap) the rearsets are very slippy,throttle is mad,turns for ever! needs quick action, i had a "a few" problems over the years with ducati, every 24 months they need fresh belts,all i can say is.. if you are going to owna ducati,be prepared ! we used to have to strip the slipper clutches every 500 miles of after a track day,friction plates are not cheap. i was talking with local honda dealer recently who knew about me owning dukes etc,he asked if my thoughts on duke v honda in owning, the honda starts,goes, & is hassle free, the duke is the oposite.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I can see where your coming from but there is a reason you have owned so many ducatis, they can't be that bad

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope you get to listen to a Duc before you make an investment, das all I'm saying...

I do like those Monsters and naked bikes they make though

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Its plain and simple you can not ride a Ducati like you ride a Honda
the Duc is a once a week kind of bike the Honda on the other hand
can be ridden evrey day and ridden hard why cause its built to be
and as long as you love her without any condition she will love you
a 1000000000000000000 folds

Got to have the budget to keep the Duc smiling and them smiles are not
cheap like stated above the Honda on the other hand is way easier , cheaper
to please and she wont nail your budget to keep smiling

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Another thing with the Duc is the ergo's. Have you ever sat on a newer one?

God they are the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever sat on. Maybe it's because I'm a smaller guy, but the tank is so long and big that I'm almost in a tuck just in normal riding position. They're super narrow too and feel like there isn't much there for your legs to hold onto.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Another thing with the Duc is the ergo's. Have you ever sat on a newer one?

God they are the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever sat on. Maybe it's because I'm a smaller guy, but the tank is so long and big that I'm almost in a tuck just in normal riding position. They're super narrow too and feel like there isn't much there for your legs to hold onto.

I agreed with you on this. Seeing my friend had a ducati and where he sat reaching the handlebar, it seems like it's made for Gorilla with long arms. :icon_lol:

Another friend of mine took a Ducati to the track, and crashed. The rearset is bent, which is normal. But what's worst is the tab where the rearset is screwed into is connected to the frame. That tab is bent. Now, he'll have to get a new frame, or ghetto mod that tab by re-welding it.

It's a nice bike no doubt, but unless you have a big enough shelf in your garage to put it on, then I wouldn't get it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd say the CBR has the 848 on ergos and upkeep costs. But there is a certain amount of awesomeness that comes with owning Ducati. Plus the L-twin on the Ducati creates massive toqure whereas the I4 in the CBR... well, in comparison, what torque? lol.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1) Unless you have plenty of $$$ go for it,
2) expect it to fail you one way or other
3) Service requirements are more then ANY Jap bike
4) Insurance Premium is Higher
5) More for the Cafe type rider
6) Parts Cost more
7) Get called a poser D***
8) Special tools needed incl a new rear stand for single sided swingarm
9) You get a sexy looking bike, has a growl worthy to tempt you hell for a w/end bike i would nearly consider it, apart from the above ^^^^^

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Its plain and simple you can not ride a Ducati like you ride a Honda
the Duc is a once a week kind of bike the Honda on the other hand
can be ridden evrey day and ridden hard why cause its built to be
and as long as you love her without any condition she will love you
a 1000000000000000000 folds

Got to have the budget to keep the Duc smiling and them smiles are not
cheap like stated above the Honda on the other hand is way easier , cheaper
to please and she wont nail your budget to keep smiling
Yep

·
Registered
223 Posts
Holy ignorance on this thread batman!!!

Ducati's new breed (848/1098/1198) are all geared to be more "user friendly" in terms of reliability and maintenance. They went to a wet clutch, the desmo belts/valve adjust will need to be done about as often as you would expect on a jap bike (12-15k), and general maintenance as far as plugs, oil, and etc are dead on with a Jap. Their handling and comfort is the equivalent of Megan Fox, whereas a 600rr is more of a Hayden Panetierre if you know what I mean. A friend of mine owns the local Duc dealership (and the 2nd Desmosedici ever imported into the US) and believe me when I say my next bike is a 1098! Ideally a 1098S TriColore, but I can't be too terribly picky...

I am confused however why a Duc is a once a week kind of bike? The owner of compwerkes has a nicely done up 848 that was over 10k miles last summer if I remember correctly, and he flogs the crap out of it almost daily.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts

Ducati's new breed (848/1098/1198) are all geared to be more "user friendly" in terms of reliability and maintenance. They went to a wet clutch, the desmo belts/valve adjust will need to be done about as often as you would expect on a jap bike (12-15k), and general maintenance as far as plugs, oil, and etc are dead on with a Jap. Their handling and comfort is the equivalent of Megan Fox, whereas a 600rr is more of a Hayden Panetierre if you know what I mean. A friend of mine owns the local Duc dealership (and the 2nd Desmosedici ever imported into the US) and believe me when I say my next bike is a 1098! Ideally a 1098S TriColore, but I can't be too terribly picky...

I am confused however why a Duc is a once a week kind of bike? The owner of compwerkes has a nicely done up 848 that was over 10k miles last summer if I remember correctly, and he flogs the crap out of it almost daily.
Well he is the owner of compwerkes ie he can afford to maintain that Duc
regardless of the bill so more power to him :icon_lol: my one bud that has 3 Ducs
bought the needed tools and taught himself how to work his Ducs which
is the way to go in my :icon_stud imagine is he had to cough the bill evrey time one
of his Ducs needed service :bootyshak

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man all of this info on this thread is great, i love my RR i have it paid off so she is going to be with me for the long hall, im just looking for my next big puchase and i wanna make sure its a good one. I am 6'2" so the long stretch is good for me. As far as the maintanence if you keep up on it you wont have a problem. I am not a track junkie and i only get to ride about 2-3 times a week and only about 5-6 months out of a year living in new england. lets keep the information going, i dont want to make the wrong choice. just to add that my next purchase is going to be the pearl white 848 or the pearl white 09 R1.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hm. Some discouraging replies on the 848.. such a beautiful bike too. Perhaps when I'm making the big bucks I'll get one..

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know a dude who did a week long run in the mountains with a 999... Ducs are f'ing pimp, there's no doubt about it.

that pimpage comes at a higher cost, unfortunately.

I can only reccomend that you RIDE the bike before buying it... after all is said and done, that's what it's going to boil down to when the cookie crumbles and the cream rises to the top if you catch my drift.

:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the Ducati's were more comfortable for a smaller framed guy like me, I'd own one. But yes, they cost more to maintain. I do all my own work on my bikes and cars, because I was trained as an auto technician, so its not as big of a deal to me. But to others that dont, or cant do the work, the bills can be pretty large.

Bass

·
Registered
25 Posts

the 848 the the only ducati with a wet clutch,the clutch from a 996 is the same as the 1098, however the 1098 is 50hp more than a 996,so the friction plates dont last long (trust me), service costs are cut on new ducati-true-,but nowhere near jap prices, 1098 swingarm is limited with gearing as the chain passes through the swingarm,if you skrimp & avoid your upkeep on a duke it will catch up on you,im not "anti ducati" im telling it how it is from owning them,they just cost more to run in every way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had an 07 SuperSport. Ducati are very nice bikes, but they are not as easy to ride as the Japanese bikes. They have to be manhandled.

The twin engine vibrates a lot at low rpm, and you have to feather the clutch in 90 degree turns. The clutch is rough, and there is not much room for mistakes. The steering radius is huge. At low speed, turning the Ducati is like turning a bus.

The good thing about Ducati is the power. You will feel the torque pulling you, and you will feel the engine screeming for more. It is unique and eys catcher.

Parts are extremely expensive. Used parts are hard to finds, and repair cost will leave a big hole in your pocket.

The fit and finish is excelent. The fairing is almost 3 or 4 time as thick as the 600rr.

Think of Ducati as the bitchy g/f, and the 600rr as the easy going g/f. Each one has her own traits....oh if I could have both...lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
life is short bud, get what you want. ducatis are sexy as hell, so get one if you want, and if theres too much of an upkeep its not like u cant sell it, look at how many people want one lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts