Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to build a spare motor with more reliability and even more durability. I tried looking through the forums and most people just pointed directly to a HRC kit. I built a motor before in a 92 3000gt VR4 and loved it. I just want to make sure I'm getting all the same components down that I should be looking at for a bike.... as I have never done it before

Crankshaft+bearings
Connecting Rods
Pistons
Exhaust & Intake valves
camshafts

These are the main components correct? And than everything else should be inspected to see if they need replacing? Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
966 Posts
What do you mean more reliability and durabilty? I've never seen a blown 600RR motor without someone crashing or downshifting wrong, unless you plan on putting moto2 amount of power to the rear wheel.

I don't know of any aftermarket cranks
Probably some connecting rods but totally un-needed at stock or even +20hp from stock.
Pistons you can get easy
valves should be easy as well
cams you can source from several places including HRC.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
JE 13.5 pistons
Carrillo H-beam steel rods
Lightened & balanced crankshaft
Gas flowed heads
Milled head .006"
Cometic .018" head gasket
APE cam sprocket & chain tensioner
Bearing shells
Seals
O-rings
Crankcase bolts

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Tary, I'm not authority when it comes to engines & suspension nor do I even want to, it's just that I made it my mission in life to get the most out of our bikes by taking both paths, the cheap way (supersport) & the expensive way (superbike).

Wish I had more cash for parts & dyno time, I'm inching closer to 115hp on my supersport engine build on pump gasoline, playing with velocity stack length, cam timing, fuel & ignition mapping, still waiting for the dyno owner to finish his new HQ so we can tune to our heart's content.

To the OP, if you want a fast & near bullet proof engine those are the parts you'd need, adding cams would just make your power curve peaky which will make it hell to use on the street. The stock engine's pretty reliable as long as you don't botch your downshifts, a forum member just accidentally grenaded his engine when he downshifted to 1st gear, had to buy new used engine after that.

In the end, money will decide what your engine build will be, how much are you willing to spend & how far are you willing to go?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts