Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda CBR 600rr
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, has anyone ever had a fork leak from the top by the triple tree? I keep seeing what looks like a fork leak and the top right fork. 9,8xx miles, to my knowledge they’ve never been touched in terms of repair/maintenance. I got the bike with 2,600 miles on it.

Another thing, I rode it last week to get back in the groove for my upcoming Track weekend and it jumped to 240f when in traffic. I looked at the coolant reservoir and the coolant is clean purple (engine ice) and NEVER had an issue with over heating. The reservoir is way over the top fill line so I was going to remove a little bit.
Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2011 Honda CBR 600rr
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fans working? should turn on around 225F or so
When it happened I was at a red light with a police chase going on (10 cop cars flying by with sirens) but I believe it was on which was my initial worry. The only other time I’ve had it shoot over the 224 degree mark was when I was a little late on my oil change but after that it was fine. This time though once I saw it was at 240 I shut it off and waited for the light to change. Once I was moving the temp was somewhat normal around 180 (which was high for the temp outside 50-60s) but once I stopped again it shot back up to around 230. I’m going to do the oil and a few other things before I take it out again but I would just hate for it to cause any issues when I’m at the track.

I did change my coolant last year before heading to the track and never had any issues with it even in the blazing July heat. Only rode it twice this year so far on city streets.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I've seen temps spike quickly when riding at highish rpm's and with a strong (50mph) tailwind (riding up canyons when it's 100+).

From 186 f to 225+ and fans on and temps still climbing. I wasn't getting much airflow across radiator....so after a few tight turns I could get speeds up and temps returned to 186 or so after a minute or 2 of good airflow.....

If I'm stopped at a long light I turn bike off. (old air cooled engine habit)

With the services and work reported in your post....you should be OK.

If it happens repeatedly...then there's a problem.

Report back after next ride?

·
Registered
2011 Honda CBR 600rr
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a break in the weather I was able to get out after doing my oil change. Bike ran perfect but still got hot at stop lights. Never did it used to reach 230+ … previously up until recent once it hit 219 the fan would be going and it would get to 222 and then drop. 30-50mph gets to 180-90 degrees. Once I hit 65mph + it’s around 165-170 which is normal IMO. Get to a light and it’s not long before it hits 230+

my thoughts are it might be the radiator cap because my over flow is damn near topped off and it isn’t returning to the radiator/system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Radiator cap won't affect temperatures. It just determines what temperature venting to overflow occurs. Bad radiator cap just vents at lower temp, but doesn't change rate of cooling, which is determined by how fast radiator can shed heat, Some thing to look at:

1. Does fan come ON or NOT when it overheats?

2. Does fan connector provide +12v when fan should be turning on?

·
Registered
2011 Honda CBR 600rr
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you bled (all) air bubbles out of cooling system?

It's not real simple, and the bubbles in certain parts of the system are stubborn to remove.....

"Ruby Racing" had a good method....
this I am not 100% sure on. I may need to check my system

Radiator cap won't affect temperatures. It just determines what temperature venting to overflow occurs. Bad radiator cap just vents at lower temp, but doesn't change rate of cooling, which is determined by how fast radiator can shed heat, Some thing to look at:

1. Does fan come ON or NOT when it overheats?

2. Does fan connector provide +12v when fan should be turning on?
the fan does in fact kick on. The overflow reservoir was almost maxed out so I took about 120ml+ out of it and put it back into the radiator. This worked GREAT when I did that in the morning, temp hit 224 and dropped like usual. When I went to ride home from work I noticed it climbing back up to 230+ at the stop lights.

I may just need to add more coolant to the system?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, as tary mentioned, you want to make sure radiator is completely filled to very top with no bubbles. Any bubbles at all will cause insufficient cooling, block flow and cause issues you're having.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts