Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oct. 2016

Hi Everyone

I saw somewhere else that people asked if removing the ABS was possible (i.e. reasonable) on the latest model 2013-15 CBR600RR ABS.

I can confirm today that it is possible and that it takes a shop about 4-5 hours to remove the entire system.

It is truly a standalone system and can be removed without any impact on the existing ECU or general functionality of the bike.

It's a big job, and in typical Honda fashion, a bit tricky to get your hands or tools into all spots, but it can be done.

The amount of hardware that comes off is incredible. Maybe 20lbs worth of stuff. No kidding. Impressive. Two small boxes of wires, boxes, etc. I can now see the motor!

Leave the job up to someone with experience and patience.

Ride On

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
What are all the parts on the system?I can see that there is a rpm sensor and it's matching ring on the wheel.Is there a description anywhere that explains how it works,in detail?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
There's a big ol' control box (or maybe 2?) that has something to do with the way the pulsing works. I imagine this is the bulk of the weight; it's also why the 2009 got those ugly side fairings.

I think there's an alternate ABS system now that isn't so big.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow,that's alot of stuff!I had no idea.I don't know where they have room for all that stuff.Thanks for posting the picture

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,821 Posts
I think ABS should be optional on sportbikes, not everybody wants that feature on their bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is optional, I just changed my mind after the fact :/
@FightingChance that is exactly the gear, plus a hornets nest of wires and junk. Ever seen vines strangle a tree. Exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think ABS should be optional on sportbikes, not everybody wants that feature on their bikes.
As of 2017 I think ABS is mandatory to have on every new bikes. That being said - if it is going to be there, it should have the option of disabling it.

As for the CBR600RR - easier to just remove the 3 Fuses that runs the ABS, and pretend the dead weight isnt there. :grin2:

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,821 Posts
As of 2017 I think ABS is mandatory to have on every new bikes. That being said - if it is going to be there, it should have the option of disabling it.

As for the CBR600RR - easier to just remove the 3 Fuses that runs the ABS, and pretend the dead weight isnt there. :grin2:
The 2016 ZX10R's with ABS don't have the option of turning it off, if you pulled the fuses off it will throw an error code which will disable all the other electronic features on the bike (TC QS WC LC) & the only way to reset it is to take it to the dealer & have them use their diagnostic equipment which sucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's mandatory in Europe but not here in North America.At least here you can have a choice with the cbr.The new R6 though,your have no choice as there are only selling it with abs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The 2016 ZX10R's with ABS don't have the option of turning it off, if you pulled the fuses off it will throw an error code which will disable all the other electronic features on the bike (TC QS WC LC) & the only way to reset it is to take it to the dealer & have them use their diagnostic equipment which sucks.
If the bikes systems with TC QS WC LC are anything like in the automotive world (and I'm sure that's where they stole all their ideas from!) then you HAVE to have ABS in order for those features to work.

With General Motors TC used to work something like this;

1) Reduce Fuel
2) Reduce Timing
3) Cut more of the above
4) Apply Brakes.

Something like that. In most cases brake application is last on the list but being able to apply the brakes is essential.

Consider wheelie control. The front wheel comes up, the ECU sees it and reduces fuel/timing/throttle. If the wheel is still coming up despite those changes then quickly pulsing the rear brake would be the ideal next step. This is only possible if you have ABS as the ECU needs the ability to apply and release brakes.

If you think about all the situations a bike gets into I'm sure you'll be able to think of more places where the ECU must be able to apply and release the brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed my C-ABS system, amazing with what came off the bike and how much weight I saved. Bike runs normal with no issues. I sure wouldn't sell my bike and buy a none ABS version

Reactions: Yammy Raven

·
Registered
5 Posts
No need to remove the swing arm either

1 - 15 of 15 Posts