Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy got bit by the bike bug.

Now he HAS to have a bike. He's taking me along to inspect the bikes for him. Right now he's looking at a R6 2013 with 200 miles. For $8k.

I haven't kept up with the bike game in a little while. From the pictures it looks legit. Obviously will be easier to spot things in person.

My question is aside from basic bike inspection, are there any issues with the 2013 r6 line I should be sure to check or focus on? I know the R1 series has starter issues. Anything I should look at on the r6?

Also I know this isn't the r6 forum but I don't want to create an account just to make up this one thread.

nd before you ask why I'm starting a buddy on a 600, HES 6'5" and 310lbs. I don't think a 250 would work well for him and he HAS to have a sport bike. Lol

Appreciate the help. Keep the rubber down fellas.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Sounds fine to me. No bugs that I know of. R6 platform is very well sorted after years of staying the same.

Google '2013 R6 colors' to see what the official colors for that year were.

edit: whoa, 310? Are you sure he wouldn't like a Vmax or Star Stratoliner? :crackup:

A brand new R6 is of course a terrible first bike, but attitude and maturity make all the difference. Just do your best to stop him from getting killed, and no riding until the BRC is done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I rode for YEARS with no license, no permit, and never took the basic rider course. I grew up riding atvs and dirtbikes so I was a capable rider, but it wasn't until I took the basic rider course that I felt I was a GOOD rider, I learned way more than I thought I would and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

·
Maynard
7,033 Posts
edit: whoa, 310? Are you sure he wouldn't like a Vmax or Star Stratoliner? :crackup:

Yeah, he may look funky on a sportbike haha...

I rode for YEARS with no license, no permit, and never took the basic rider course. I grew up riding atvs and dirtbikes so I was a capable rider, but it wasn't until I took the basic rider course that I felt I was a GOOD rider, I learned way more than I thought I would and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.
I'd still consider myself a novice and I've been riding for 3 years lulz..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds fine to me. No bugs that I know of. R6 platform is very well sorted after years of staying the same.

Google '2013 R6 colors' to see what the official colors for that year were.

A brand new R6 is of course a terrible first bike, but attitude and maturity make all the difference. Just do your best to stop him from getting killed, and no riding until the BRC is done.
Is my computer broke or is that my profile pic in your post? Lol

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It's on your end; sometimes browser caching issues will make it so that different posters have different avatars, or all the same avatar

Close out and re-open, or flush the cache.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea we have a BRC program for our work that is free and part of PPE work training. He is just trying to get his bike and get started. I told him he's nor touching it until he's done with BRC. And to respect the bike. Idk how many times I've told him that.

Hell I had a tank slapper this morning. Stupid construction bump had me jumping a 600pb bike lol

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Sounds like he is very eager.

Tell him to only rev to 10,000RPM, tell him there is no use to rev past that because the bike makes no power over that RPM.........until he has six months of seat time that is.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to tell him to not rev past 5k rpm. No need. I didn't go above 5k for like the first 6 months of riding mine.

He's a pretty laid back guy. He doesn't have that "turbo 0-100" personality. He just has a mid life crisis and wants a sport bike instead of a hot because me, his brother and his girlfriend all have sport bikes. But he's not into going fast just joining the group and cruise.

But I've already tried talking him into a 650 but he doesn't want a "ugly sport bike" he wants a sexy cool looking real sport bike and not be the sissy guy in the group lol

You guys know how stubborn new riders are. Like I said he's a tall 6'4" 300 Lb black guy. So at least his size will kill some of that power and mellow it out lol

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
R6 is a very tame and stable platform. They are neutered from the factory. Anybody can start on any bike....is it optimal? no. Will it work and will they adapt: yes.

There really isn't any gotchas to look out for in the 08+ R6 bikes. There was NOT a "Solid Black" OEM paint scheme in 2013.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey man, let him get whatever he wants. You tell him the risks though, be straight up with him. Let him know that after 10k the bike turns into a whole new monster. He needs to know this so he can expect it. Heaven forbid he gets it up to 11k and is caught of guard thinking "what is going on!?!" Then *BOOM* crash.

Another option may be a GSXR since it has power modes and he leave it on C for the first 3-6 months.

Either way, just make sure he takes the MSF course and he'll be fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
GSXR is the smallest 600 so I definitely wouldn't recommend that.
He should be fine on the R6.

At his weight, he will want to change out the springs ASAP for optimal riding.
Also tell him to loose some weight!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts