Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THANK YOU GUYS! Thank you from stopping me from making a really bad decision. I have decided to start with a 300cc.

Hey guys! This is my first bike and I'm 19 so I'm not entirely sure if I'm being ripped off. I'm from California. So I'm dealing with all dealerships through the phone because everyone knows it's a bad idea to go into the dealerships excited.

Here is the run down.

$8,999 - Base Price, includes all factory rebate and incentives applicable.
$350 - Destination charge by the manufacturer
$130 - Charge by the dealer to set up and service out your new vehicle.
$235.50 - Title, Document Fee, C.T.R.F. and License fee
$950.31 - California Sales Tax, Los Angeles County @9%

$10,564.81 Total Cash Price

I don't have that kind of money so I financed. I have a credit score of 675 with four and a half years of credit history and a $20,000 credit line. I talked to them on the phone and they don't have the bike in their lot but it can be delivered within 3 business days once I sign the papers and put a deposit of $500. (Yes, I have sat on the bike and it's comfortable to me and I'm able to flat foot it.) I offered $180 knowingly they would deny, then they had a counter offer for 206. I said I'll think about it. Well after shopping around that's the best deal I could find. I called again for a counter offer $200 for 60 months with GAP insurance included. They accepted and I'm confused.

All in all. It's $10,564.81 OTD. If financed it would end up being $12,000 after the 60 months. Plus the $500 deposit, which I don't think is going towards a payment. So in total it would be $12,500.

Any tips to bring up to the dealer when I go or just advice whether I'm being ripped off or not would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm a full time student. I work 25 hours a week as a waiter making $20-$30 depending on tips. On my second job on the weekends I work 16 hours a week as a caregiver for $10 an hour.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yep.. u can get a used liter for like 7grand

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Fair price for a new bike.

there are some good used cbr's for sale , look around.

IMO, for commuting these bikes are NOT good....

They are more $/mile to run than almost any SUV......

and maintenace comes quick if this is your daily commute.

(it's kinda like driving a Ferrari for the commute, lots'a fun but not what it was designed for...)

For a good commute I would go for a 300 cc bike.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That's an adequate price for that bike if that's the route you want to go. What are you confused about? The deposit would go towards the bike unless you decide not to buy it.

What's insurance on it with your credit score, age and area you live? My guess is on a brand new bike for a first time rider it'll be larger than your payment per month. Find out that before you take another step in this process.

The other thing to note is that bike at 60 months and your $200 down payment will be underwater financially for at least 3 of the 5 years you are paying on it and as soon as you drive it off the lot in are in debt for over $10k on a bike you might get $7,500 for with zero miles in it in the used market. If you change your mind, need to get out from under the payment or need money you're screwed.

Simply put financially this is a poor move you will either to have to live with and hope you love the bike or bite it in the ass to get out of it.

Here's my suggestion: save up $5,000, put that towards the bike and finance the rest. Or better yet the 600RR only has VERY minor changes since 07, save up $2k, put that towards a sweet 07 for $5k and be far better off all around.

Your call.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,768 Posts
here's how i see it.

you are putting nothing down and as such, financing the entire cost of the bike

you are trying to negotiate borrowing rates and lowballing (essentially trying to get nearly 0% on a toy)

you posted your income

you can't afford this.

save up and buy a bike you can afford with cash. own it from day one and don't bother with collision insurance. you shouldn't be buying a new bike as a first bike, and you certainly shouldn't be financing a toy you can't afford. buy a 2500 dollar bike, spend 500 making it safe, and 1000 on gear for yourself. ride that until you can afford to move on.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wibbly beat me to it. Honestly the insurance part is going to hurt you on a brand new bike. Buy something used in decent condition and possibly low miles if you can find it like an 07+ is a better route for you me thinks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys! Yeah I've asked other forums and everyone was just being a **** to me. Thank you for you honest opinions. I've came to the realization that this is a very poor financial decision.

My plan now.

Finance through a bank. (5-7k loan)
Get a used bike and pay it in full using cash.

I'm still going to go for the 600rr though. Even though it's my first bike. Everyone tells me to get the 500r since i'll be bored of the 300 quickly. Might as well get the 600 xD

·
Registered
803 Posts
No offense, but since you're only 19 and you're working your way up in life, a 600RR may become an overall distraction. If you've already made up your mind, then go for used. On a new one, your full coverage insurance will be too high, plus you'll have to worry about the bike being stolen or knocked over while you're waiting tables at work. Doesn't make sense. Get a bike for transportation, and not so much for fun at this stage. You can still have a blast with a 250 or 300... It's not always about power. Getting bored is only an excuse. One can have great fun on a number of smaller bikes. Keep researching, and make the decision which helps you move forward in life, not backwards.

Thankfully, I'm in a suitable position to have gone for a new 600RR. If I weren't, I would've opted for a lesser bike, and still had a blast with it. Ride for the joy of it, not for the flash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your input. I am indeed looking for a used one. I found a 2009 600RR for 6.5k with 20,000 miles. I'm probably going to offer 5.5k cash for it and see where we go from there.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
1st bike+student (19yrs age) +600cc=$$$ insurance/bad decision=changed life,not for the better

you need some time on a bike that is not as "high strung" as this......I had spent about 3 yrs on small streetbikes here in USA before buying 600cc.

Had over 45 yrs of 2 wheel experience at that point, and got on the 600rr 1st time and there was way more power and precision than i was used to.

PS these bikes get stolen like BIC lighters, gone in a second.

Where you located?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Don't rush it. Take more time on the research and appropriate direction. A decision can take only a few seconds - but you'll have to live with it a lot longer.

After further thought, I personally say "hold off", and go back to the drawing board. You're a student and working your way up. A 600RR is more of a "want" and distraction compared to anything else at this stage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm located in Los Angeles, CA. I found nice used 600ccs

12 ninja 650 - 4.6k
07 r6 - 4.9k
09 600rr - 6.1k

buying in cash so would most likely be able to bring the price lower

·
Registered
881 Posts
Neil I can't tell you have your mind made up, everyone on here is going some dam good advice. I was like you at that age. Although the I was in the army and I did the same thing, I bought a 600cc as my everyday ride. While it was fun and gas was cheap it did get old fast. And insurance was very expensive. I ended up selling it to get a car. My advice is really think about this! The bike is a toy, and which you can't take all your friends, and will have to ride in bad weather. Jut my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, thank you. You guys made me realize I was putting myself in a hole buying that new motorcycle. As you know though my mind is set on a 600. I make around 28-30k a year before taxes, I'm a full time student (with two jobs), and I have a credit score of 705 (with a $20,000 credit line [meaning it's not high because my cap is at $20]). When I want something I just work hard for it. My insurance won't be that expensive either because we have 5 cars and a home with state farm for years.

My plan as of now is buy a used one and get a loan from a credit union with 4-6% interest.

Here are my choices.

2012 Ninja 650 13,000 Miles $4,495
2007 Yamaha YZF - R6 19,000 Miles $5,995
2009 Honda CBR 600R 19,000 Miles $6,495

Please, I'm open to all tips and stuff regarding negotiating and any comments too.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Again, thank you. You guys made me realize I was putting myself in a hole buying that new motorcycle. As you know though my mind is set on a 600. I make around 28-30k a year before taxes, I'm a full time student (with two jobs), and I have a credit score of 705 (with a $20,000 credit line [meaning it's not high because my cap is at $20]). When I want something I just work hard for it. My insurance won't be that expensive either because we have 5 cars and a home with state farm for years.

My plan as of now is buy a used one and get a loan from a credit union with 4-6% interest.

Here are my choices.

2012 Ninja 650 13,000 Miles $4,495
2007 Yamaha YZF - R6 19,000 Miles $5,995
2009 Honda CBR 600R 19,000 Miles $6,495

Please, I'm open to all tips and stuff regarding negotiating and any comments too.
Great.

All I can say is to make sure you have full health insurance alongside the type of insurance you choose for the bike. Your safety is most crucial and above all.

Negotiate a fair deal on the bike of your choice (especially when it's a buyer's market with the current down season) - and ATGATT (All the Gear, all the time), for sure. Never, ever think that you're too safe out there. Riding can be one of the greatest feelings ever encountered... Just don't let it be crushed with a lack of maturity, respect, understanding, and appreciation.

Keep us posted, and good luck with the most appropriate decision for yourself...

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,768 Posts
well, you clearly live at home still. are you planning on living at home until you have this thing paid for? how do your parents feel about that..

your income is only slightly over the poverty line, you live at home, likely have no savings because you are doing zero down plans and want to borrow 7 grand to buy a toy and begin a very expensive hobby.

maybe you can swing the payments. but how are those payments going to limit your possibilities moving forward?

work harder, save your money, pick up extra shifts, and buy a beginner bike with YOUR money.

you can't borrow to buy toys when you are in your current position. if you were making twice what you are now then maybe, but not now

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I think some said it.

First and only question is this your first bike?

If so get a ninja 250 for like 800 bucks

Poor cant afford and expensive bike get a cheap ninja 250.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts